The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
nonamecharlie

Underbed Gas Tank, but NOT behind axle..

Hi,

My '71 pickup has an Aux tank that is right behind the cab, under the pickup bed just in front of the rear left wheel well. The filler is mounted on the side of the bed just to the right of the main tank filler to the in-cab tank.

This Aux tank is no good and rusted out, I need to replace it. Took it to a shop, they claim it is beyond repair, no way to clean it up and make it serviceable again. I have seen the behind the axle option, I don't want to go with that because my bed already has that huge hole it it for the aux tank in it now. I also think where it is not is much more convienient.

I am pretty sure this is a custom job unless it was a dealer option that not many folks did. Any suggestions where I can buy a canned sized rectangular shapped tank that I can put here? Having a custom one built is $700, I'd like a cheaper option.
nonamecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Uwe Blab

Re: Underbed Gas Tank, but NOT behind axle..

Is it between or outside of the frame rails? I'm assuming outside, and it would be a saddle bag type of tank. Not that I know where to get one of those, sorry.

If it's between the rails I'd really like to see a picture of it. I'm interested in finding a custom install that has the tank between the rails and in front of the rear axle...although I'm hard pressed to imagine how it would work because there's next to no room there. But my spare tire is set up on a trapeze behind the rear axle, and I'd like to keep it there, and also get the gas tank out of the cab.
Uwe Blab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
1970greenc10

you could try one of the 73 to 87 saddle tanks I think they fit with little modification and they're not to expensive.

79 caprice classic
70 c/10
69 k/10
03 silverado
1970greenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
nonamecharlie

I feel obligated to post this web site:

http://www.autosafety.org/history-gm...as-tank-defect
Apparantly these saddle tanks have some safety issues worse than the pinto due to the fact they are mounted outside the frame, and easily punctured in a crash (apparantly causing blow ups and fires in a crash). I personally am going to ignore the risk, but that is my choice, you all may want to take the warning of this autosafety website more seriously.

Thanks for the info folks. I will look into the saddle tank, that sound promising for me. I will also take some photos of the tank I have and the spot it goes in. That will have to wait a few days though, the truck is currently still in the shop for other issues. I normally work on my own truck, however it is needed this weekend and I don't have time to fix the brake and clutch problem before then (minor stuff anyway).

Please keep the suggestions coming if your interested, everyone here alwayse has good ideas to solve the tough problems.

Last edited by nonamecharlie; 01-18-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the tank you have was common back in the day. The dealers installed them, camper places installed them, and I think they were even offered through other vendors.
They are usually rusted or filled with crap, most ppl stopped using them years ago and stuck with the one with a guage behind the seat.
The 73 - 87 one will not fit. That tank goes way up under the cab and your cab would nead a bunch of mods.
Also, the whole fireball thing was only partially true, and the "news magizine show" that did the report admited to rigging the car to help create the explosion. Yes, people died in those trucks in that kind of crash, but it was not nearly as bad as that TV show made it out to be.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
nonamecharlie

Thanks Longhorn Man,

I can see what you mean, I saw the picture on LMC of the side mount tank, that flat section must be what you are talking about that goes under the cab.

I guess my search continues, at least now I know better where to look. I highly doubt there is a camper place or dealer that still mounts them, but I could get lucky and find another one of these old tanks somewhere.

I'll probably end up just finding a random tank that will fit in the space, and straping it in.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
turp mcspray

I have a tank that mounts in that spot, but is plastic. It has a filler neck that is in the wheelwell. I don't know if it was an option, or a dealer/aftermarket unit. It had straps that mounted to the bottom of the bedside, and went around the tank, up to the floor. It is the only one like it I have seen.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Bill72

From your avatar it looks like you have the factory installed auxillary tank that was available in 72 and maybe 71. If you do, then there should be a valve on the floor next to the seat for switching tanks and a knob on the dash for switching the gauge over. Your SPID would list this as NL2 AUX FUEL. I've been looking for one too and have only found garbage so far.

Last edited by Bill72; 01-18-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Bill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

except he has a 71
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
nonamecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill72 View Post
From your avatar it looks like you have the factory installed auxillary tank that was available in 72 and maybe 71. If you do, then there should be a valve on the floor next to the seat for switching tanks and a knob on the dash for switching the gauge over. Your SPID would list this as NL2 AUX FUEL. I've been looking for one too and have only found garbage so far.
There is a valve next to the seat on the floor as you describe with three positions "main, left, right"
The tanks must have been not too good in the first place if they all are going bad. There is also a factory looking nob on the dash that changes the gauge. I do have a 71, so perhaps if this is what I have the orriginal owner went back to get it later.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
chevy2tom

I have one that was disconnected & empty when I got the truck so I removed it & kept it in case somebody needed it some day,it's yours for the cost of shipping. Mine was on the same side as yours but the filler was behind a door just above the lower trim on my 71 C20 you could cut off the gas capnm nm g fitting & use fuel rated hose from your existing filler neck. It was bolted through the bed it has 2pipes for the long bolts to run through. One still has the whats left of the bolt stuck inside.Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device
chevy2tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
nonamecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2tom View Post
I have one that was disconnected & empty when I got the truck so I removed it & kept it in case somebody needed it some day,it's yours for the cost of shipping. Mine was on the same side as yours but the filler was behind a door just above the lower trim on my 71 C20 you could cut off the gas capnm nm g fitting & use fuel rated hose from your existing filler neck. It was bolted through the bed it has 2pipes for the long bolts to run through. One still has the whats left of the bolt stuck inside.Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device
Chevy2tom - that sounds like a good idea, thanks. I assume the inside is still in good shape, or maybe you don't know.
I'll take some pics of my tank tonight and post them, let me know if it looks the same - probably does from what you are saying...
If you don't mind, I'd like some pictures of what you have too.

Last edited by nonamecharlie; 01-18-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #13
nonamecharlie

Here are some pictures of the tank.

Measurements are:
16.5 in wide (on the wider part)
10.5 in wide (on the narrower part)
33 inches long (long sde)
21.25 inches long (before the angle, short side)
8.25 inches long (after the angle, short side)
10 inches high (from ground to top surface)

I am sure that a tank that is similar or smaller will also fit, this looks like it was custom made to fill every bit of space that is there.

Thanks for your offer Chevy2tom - that is great, I would love your tank. As you can see, mine also has those through hole bolts to attach it, just like you described. My tank has 3, yours has 2, so likely yours is a little smaller and will fit.

Thanks. email is nonamecharlie@gmail.com
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
suprachrgd82
Farmtruck desciple

I got one in a '70 behind the driver door, bed side. Not sure where Felton is, but if you come by Whittier, you can have it.
suprachrgd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
midwestburner

Mine has the filler neck in the driver's side wheel well also. Haven't used it though.
Attached Images

midwestburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
nonamecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprachrgd82 View Post
I got one in a '70 behind the driver door, bed side. Not sure where Felton is, but if you come by Whittier, you can have it.
Thanks - That is a good option too. Chevy2Tom is planning to ship me his, if it doesn't work out than I'll go for yours.
Felton is way up North by Santa Cruz, either I'd make the trek down one day (about a 6 hour drive), or you would need to ship it, I'd pay of course.

Thanks for the help - it looks like I have at least two options now to get this sucker replaced.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
71swb4x4

Have you explored the marker light fuel filler? This allows you to have a tank behind the bed but not cut a big hole in the bedside.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #18
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp mcspray View Post
I have a tank that mounts in that spot, but is plastic. It has a filler neck that is in the wheelwell. I don't know if it was an option, or a dealer/aftermarket unit. It had straps that mounted to the bottom of the bedside, and went around the tank, up to the floor. It is the only one like it I have seen.
Are you sure it is plastic? Mine has one on both sides but they are fiberglass. With the addition of ethanol to our fuel they are no longer usable. Ethanol dissolves the resin. Be sure to check if you plan to even use that tank.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #19
turp mcspray

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 View Post
Are you sure it is plastic? Mine has one on both sides but they are fiberglass. With the addition of ethanol to our fuel they are no longer usable. Ethanol dissolves the resin. Be sure to check if you plan to even use that tank.
I was using plastic as a generic term. I'm not exactly sure what it is made of. I guess it is more like a fuel cell type of material. It definitely is not fiberglass. I picked it up many years ago. I have never used it, and probably never will.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #20
Livrat
Member #1049

nonamecharlie From looking at the pictures you posted, you have a factory installed aux tank.. and from what chevy2tom described as his having a door on the side of the bed. His is either a dealer installed or an aftermarket one.. It will not have the fill spout in the correct place to just "bolt in and go" in your truck (the fill neck on his is designed to go up between the inner and outer bed sides and yours actually sticks up inside the bed under the cover and actually uses a Blazer fill neck and spout,
The mounting holes may or maynot be the same place to mount the tank under the bed..
The reason I know this as I have a customers Cheyenne Super 4X4 in the shop and he wants the factory aux tank.
We have a nasty factory aux tank and three sets of dealer/aftermarket ones and they all are different. I ended up having one manufactured..
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote