The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
RuralRoute C-30

Help with upgrading fuel delivery system? Questions.

I admit to often over thinking what is more than not simple. (my wife will quickly second that) But thinking this fuel delivery system through to completion before I have even started tearing it apart has been my nemesis lately.

So I have been acquiring parts for a minor/major engine clean-up in the truck and this upgrade on my C-30 350. It needs it.

Parts so far: Edelbrock 1406 carb, 2101 Edelbrock Performer Intake, GM valve cover/air filter dress-up kit. New breather and pcv caps.

Yet from what I read it looks like I need to include a fuel regulator set-up for this carb as well. Truck came with an electric fuel pump of unknown origin installed on the frame rail just behind the passenger door.

Parts needed? Am I correct about a regulator with this carb as it seems to be a constant warning that they are picky about fuel volume and any suggestions on which one? Jegs and Summit has been my sources of looking at the options lately. I have no clue.

Also, does it make sense, with the electric fuel pump tucked in the frame rail, to try to run the fuel line from the carb to the firewall then down to the pump rather than running it forward, as if to a mechanical pump, then down and back to the electric pump? I can't see any reason not to short-cut it to the current pump. Anyone done that with an electric pump installed outside of the engine compartment and on a frame rail? Should the filter be between pump and regulator or regulator and carb? Both?

Still have to purchase gasket set for the intake. Pondering using some braided hose as well for fuel line plus I really want to use hard-line at least from the carb to regulator and filter. But this regulator and fuel filter set-up, including just choosing what regulator to buy has me confused with all the choices. I don't need a high end regulator from what I understand.

Finally, and excuse my ignorance, but when using a carb spacer, another issue with Edelbrock carbs and boiling fuel I would like to avoid, any suggestions? I see everything from .032 to 1" options for ways to dissipate the heat. Won't these spacers also require extension bolts to compensate for the added height from the spacer? Any suggestions of which one to order?

Other than this and that and the other I hope to begin the process of cleaning the motor this week-end after another day of hauling wood. Hope to use a long week-end over Thanksgiving to swap old for new parts but depends on time available, if the cleaning is done and if the truck is not needed. I'm not in a hurry for this so that is probably another reason I may be reading too much into wanting to get this right.

Until then tired of looking at parts in Jegs and second guessing myself. So tossing out these concerns hoping to hear from those who know more than I do on this aspect of the fuel delivery system.(and any parts I am forgetting)

Basically I'd at least rather know I have gathered the right parts before I start this transformation so I might minimize any possible problems related to the hardware from my inexperience of installing them! .

As always, appreciate the forum.

Thanks!
Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 11-17-2010 at 09:28 PM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
thepenguin99

Re: Help with upgrading fuel delivery system? Questions.

Is there any reason to not put the old cam driven fuel pump back on it and ditch the aftermarket pump/regulator combo?

Also one reason I can see for not running the the fuel line down the back of the motor is it will almost certainly be near your exhaust. Better to keep it tucked in the frame and go up the front imo.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
RuralRoute C-30

When I bought the truck the previous owner said it was off because they couldn't get a mechanical to work anymore. Cam lobe worn? Thus the electric pump was installed. Good point about the exhaust heat and makes perfect sense...appreciate it.
Mark

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 11-17-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
tucsonjwt

In my experience, the closer to stock the better, with some exceptions. Just one note on the carb spacers - I found that a spacer for Carter/Edelbrock, or any carb, will raise your carburetor enough to make attached fittings/linkage not line up properly. I'm not sure if aftermarket intake manifolds cause the same problem (high rise intakes?). Of course, it you ditch your stock air cleaner and tweak the linkage it will work, but in AZ I must pass emissions every year, and they require that all OEM emissions equipment be in place. I once sat in the state inspection bay for 20 minutes while the emissions supervisor went over my engine compartment with a flashlight and inspection mirror. Fortunately, he did not detect a couple of vacuum lines that were mis-routed at the time.
I envy your big dump, since I just have a baby stealth C20 ton dump.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I have an edelbrock 1406 and use this regulator with it
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-803/10002/-1?CT=999

It works perfectly.
Here's how I mounted mine

I put a gauge in the bypass side or you could just plug it.
Don't mind the rubber line from the pump to the regulator. It's worked so far but when I redo the engine soon, it will have a steel line up to about the carb and then turn out and go up to the regulator with some fuel injection hose so i can still mount the filter where it is.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
RuralRoute C-30

Thanks a lot, folks. Advice from experience is the best teacher. That was a regulator I was looking at. No emission laws here so no problem there.
Appreciate ypur picture, it helps to steer the course I need to take on this detail.

Spoke with a friend who has his own shop, does this for a living, who agrees with my wanting to hard-line the fuel lines. When I mentioned that electric fuel pump he agreed, gotta have the regulator or the Edelbrock won't be happy. (I guess reading the instructions before tearing it apart to do the work really is a good thing!) I'm learning.

Hoping sometime after Thanksgiving now for doing the work once the parts are gathered. Friend of mine is a wizard on the old 350's and said he'd help after I got the engine cleaning and parts gathered done. Using his pro-shop will be nicer than mine and as he mentioned, it'll be an opportunity for me to learn by doing, working with guidance as needed, on this minor rehab of this engine's fuel delivery system. Plus his "book of experience" is much greater than mine on something like this.

Have to admit, I'm never too old to enjoy learning something new on this old truck when allowed the opportunity! Keeps me young. Just selecting all the right parts to this puzzle has been the challenge so far.

Thanks again,
Mark

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 11-19-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

How's this coming along?

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
RuralRoute C-30

Thanks for asking. Just been a colder than normal winter here restricting shop time in what's been a cold shed to clean up the motor. Didn't want to install new parts on old grease if I didn't have to until some cleaning was done. Truck runs, so not a rush at this time. It is tough to look at the parts though and want to get them installed.

Granted, as with so many in this economy, it has been an interesting first half of a cold winter. Toss in some medical time the wife needed that rightfully required my attention and some talk of staff reduction concerns that surfaced with the job, I chose to shut down most projects these past few months until the dust settled on both topics of concern.

Good news is: The wife is recovered nicely with a cancer free clean bill of health now and even though I survived the staff/pay reductions at work, I start a new position as "Director of Maintenance" with a corporation next week. Turned in my resignation with current employer earlier this month and finishing this week up on the old job. Needless to say, it was odd to be so blessed with opportunity and an upward career move on this topic...and in this economy it amazes even me I was able to find such an upward career move. By the way, the title just means I'm getting paid more to do more with an office and a desk added to the work. I hate paperwork and desks so that will require an adjustment. Been doing quite nicely for some years doing paperwork on a workbench.

Hoping when warmer weather returns in March or time and temps above freezing, it will allow me to get the engine cleaned up and finish this project now that life has turned upward again.

Just been one of those 'weird' winters, to say the least, with a lot of things going on. Finally breathing easier now and looking forward to springtime.

Again,thanks for asking...I've actually been missing working on the truck! Looking forward to relaxing in shop time soon.

Mark

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 01-26-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Mark,
Good things come to those who wait. Glad to hear your wife is dong well. The truck will still be there when it warms up a bit, and doing paperwork inside beats freezing your rear off outside.