The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #26
timber rattlesnake

Re: Rear Leaf Spring Conversion Kit - Who Makes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypress TX 72 View Post
There is no advantage to having leafs over coils (in my opinion) - as a matter of fact the coil/ control arm system is wonderful and makes for a great ride ... the problem is the weight capacity and the lift-ability. can you imagine lifting a coil system - the angles involved in extending the trailing arms - not to mention the travel in the spring from front to back - I mean i'm sure it could be done, but one, it wouldnt look good and two, it would be WAY too expensive....
Yes the 3/4 and 1 tons came with leafs - but their little brother (C-10) came with coils....
Again guys dont get me wrong --- I am a purest and if it came with coils - i left the coils - but this guy wants to lift his truck 4" and the only way to lift the rear that high is with a leaf system ---that i know of --- other than doing the above magic...
ChevLoRay - I'd go for that as well - if you could find a taker. Here's a better idea, find another 68, 69, 70, 71, or 72 - do a ground up restore and have it as a daily driver - i mean come on wouldnt you rather be driving one of these than your '96 to work........

Thanks for all the comments guys!!

One at a time
Cypress -
its been a few years ago in oklahoma city i had bought a 1969 chevy with leaf springs (yes leaf spring) all numbers matched it was a special editon called the heavy half ton for the military come to find out so it can be done and was in 1969 if this info helps any
timber rattlesnake is offline   Reply With Quote