The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #26
dag19

Re: Rear leaf spring lowering options, ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO View Post
First of all its impossible to get 5 inch drop from spindles, your ball joints would be into your wheels!!!

I take it that u probably used 2.5 inch spindles and aftermarket drop coil springs (which always vary in advertised drop).

Your truck looks like it would work best with a axle flip, which will drop it the width of the axle tube 3 inch and the leaf pack 2-4 more inches, giving u a minimum of 5 inch with factory ride quality. Be sure to adjust pinion angle to 2-3 degrees down or it will vibrate like a mother. Good luck ...TTYL
You are right, I did get the Classic Performance Products 2.5" drop spindles. I, however, did NOT get any drop coils. I used the factory coils and replaced all the front end components.

As far as drop in the rear, I already have the 3" drop shackles. I really only want about 2 more inches is all and thats why I was thinking about taking out 2 leaves. I guess I could go through it all again and take out the drop shackles and do the flip and also adjust the pinon angle. A possibility.
dag19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #27
tasian

really sounds like removing a few leaf's would suit you best or at least be worth a try you could also always look into getting new spring's I think you can get something along the lines of a "Easy ride" spring that will ride lower and a little softer might be worth it if like my truck one side sits lower

Last edited by tasian; 09-15-2010 at 03:06 PM.
tasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #28
dag19

Those are my thoughts as well tasian. I think that is what I am going to try first and foremost. I looked at getting a set of lowering leafs from CPP but those are a cool 3 hundo. I'll pass. Where do you get the "Easy Rider" springs at?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #29
tasian

i was a little off on the springs i had forgot i was looking at the EZ-Ride because they are lift springs and i was going to use the 2" to take some of the drop from flipping my axle but they only make lift's so that wouldn't help you much
Old 09-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #30
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag19 View Post
Those are my thoughts as well tasian. I think that is what I am going to try first and foremost. I looked at getting a set of lowering leafs from CPP but those are a cool 3 hundo. I'll pass. Where do you get the "Easy Rider" springs at?
Here's a tip if u decide to remove a couple leaves....if they dont already have poly rub blocks on the ends u can take a grinder and "carefully" taper the sharp edge of the spring about 3/8 of an inch in ....this is where most all the friction happens which often results in a rough ride

When the suspension goes up and down the leaves slide against each other because the arch becomes less under compression ...lengthening the pack between the eyes.

Any thing u can do to make them slide easier will result in a a smoother ride ...iv'e even put a little grease in between the leaves at the ends to reduce friction....its cheap and easy ...give it a try .....TTYL
Attached Images

RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #31
Rodk65

Lots of great opinions. I am not seeing all of these lowering leaf springs on Early classic, CPP and other vendors mentioned. I see some for 1/2 ton trucks but not for 3/4. Will the same spring work on both vehicles? I am interested in lowering the stance a little but I want to be able to haul and tow also.

1969 K10 4x4 Short Fleet. Tuned Port Injection 350/700R4, Cruise, tilt and factory A/C.
1971 C20 Camper Special. 350/350. SOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe LT
Rodk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #32
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

I do believe the 3/4 and 1/2 ton 2wd uses same spring dimensions 2 1/4 inch by 52 inch (off center spring through bolt) Note; the 1 ton 2wd 67-72 uses a 2 1/2 inch wide spring by 52 (centered through bolt) same as most 73-87 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. 4x4 also uses i believe the 2 1/2 inch centered spring.

As to answer your question of will i be able to haul? most lowered springs are considered "sport use" and therefore will not have the same load capacity ...their are options when it comes to hauling though...one of the easiest and best is a air over leaf kit which gives the best of both worlds...rides smooth when unloaded ...then just air-up for hauling; many companies offer add on leaf type overloads which are usually mounted over the main spring ...u will have to check compatibility with lowered springs though ...hope this helps BTW...I use a air over leaf kit on my truck and they work great!!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #33
ivanuf2

Here is a pic of my recently installed Flip Kit
Attached Images

ivanuf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #34
cadillacart
1972 C/20

That's alot of springs!! Is that a 1 ton? Looks like a couple inches of clearance are left also. Where did you get the kit and was it simple to install? sorry for all the Q's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanuf2 View Post
Here is a pic of my recently installed Flip Kit
cadillacart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #35
ivanuf2

Flip kit was from Styling Concepts, but is a JDM. Is easy enough to install. As far as my truck is a 1 ton, but I got it recently, I do not know if the leaf are correct for my truck. Maybe other members can tell form the photo.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #36
ivanuf2

Flip kit was from Styling Concepts, but is a JDM. Is easy enough to install. As far as my truck is a 1 ton, but I got it recently, I do not know if the leaf are correct for my truck. Maybe other members can tell form the photo.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #37
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanuf2 View Post
What year is your truck?.......that spring pack looks like the 3/4 -1 ton 9 leaf pack from 73-87's ....it would measure 56" long and the through bolt is "not" centered...(there's more distance to the rear of the bolt than the front)

Did your truck come with factory compound over loads springs? ....they are above the main pack and can be 1-3 leaves, they do nothing until the truck is loaded enough to contact the rub brackets riveted to the frame.

From your pic looks like u have a bottom overload (its the shortest 1) ....some 1 tons like mine had both a bottom overload and top ...iv'e since removed all of it because it is now only used to haul one thing.....ASS..
Old 11-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #38
PLANETGETLOW

So with a stock setup (leaf springs), which do you remove. Some have said the helper, and others have said different.
PLANETGETLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #39
dag19

I ended up taking out the bottom 2, the helper and one above it. The was strictly due to rigidity reasons. It rides real nice now and haven't had any problems either...even with a lot of torque on the rearend. Hope this helps!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 AM   #40
71red

Man I have been searching and searching for some good info on pre 73`s. Good info all. Thanks.

Last edited by 71red; 01-05-2011 at 02:06 AM.
71red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #41
dag19

Let us know if you have any other questions cause there are people out there that can answer them. Welcome to the board!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #42
Mad Viking

So, as a noob to lowering (especially a 3/4 ton), what I'm getting out of this to lower my 71' C20 with rear leafs is;

1) Using drop spindles (POL, airbagit) lowers the front 2.5 to 3". Either cutting the spring or getting new drop springs can lower it an additional 1-3".
2) Doing an axle flip can lower the rear by about 5" while maintaining hauling capacity while removing 2-3 springs can lower the rear 3-4" but in turn will lower the hauling capacity but should provide a smoother ride. Buying lowering leaf springs is yet another option (CPP, ECE) that can lower the rear 2-4" and provides (same/ smoother?) ride as stock.

Looking at this I'm thinking that I would go with the 2.5" drop spindles up front with new coil springs to lower another 1". In the back I would just do an easy squeezy axle flip to lower 5". This should give my truck a good stance while being able to haul materials if needed.

So, being the noob that I am, doing these type of mods will definately change the geometry of the truck. What else do I need to plan on doing and purchasing to get the ride correct and will I need to do a C-notch in the rear?

Thanks

"Stupid is as Stupid does" - Forrest Gump
Mad Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #43
ivanuf2

Dude do not do the flip. I did it and had to take it out after the first ride. It is an unbearable ride, stiff as a rock. I took it out and left the rear leaf spring above the axel and remove most of the leafs, left only three on each pack. The truck sits about 2" higher than with the flip, but is a pleasure to ride. The attached pictures show the truck before (unbearable ride) with 2.5" drop spindle at front and 3" lowering springs at front, flip leaf on the rear. Also on a ride around the block It touched the frame so a C-notch was needed to keep the axel flip. The picture of the truck on the highway is the after photo (great ride) with 2.5" drop spindle at front and 2" lowering springs at front, rear leafs above axel with only 3 leafs. I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #44
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

WOW! There sure are a LOT of opinions on how to do things correctly. This thread is full of so much incorrect information, I don't know where to begin to clear it up.

First, let talk about the OP that states he used 2.5" spindles, but somehow his front is 5" lower with stock springs. How did you come to that figure? The best way to lower the front is 2.5 or 3" spindles because they have no impact on the ride.

From there, a stock coil can be cut (not heated) or a lowering spring can be used to get the desired drop needed.

On the rear of a "leaf spring" suspension, start with a shackle. If you need more use a hanger kit, or raise the stock hanger. A flip kit is the next step, and should include shock extenders. If you did a flip kit and got "unbearable ride, stiff as a rock" you did it wrong.

If you really don't want to go with a flip kit, and want to remove leaves from the spring pack, start from the bottom and work up. The short overload spring is good for 3/8 to 1/2 drop depending on its thickness. You really should leave the top three leaf's in unless you are going to run bags.

And last but not least, please DO NOT buy from airbagit.com/AIM/Chassis Tech until you Google these names. They have a huge reputation for horrendous customer service.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:14 AM   #45
Mad Viking

Since my truck will still be a working truck (trips to the lumber store, dump runs, dirt & gravel), does anyone have any idea about how much to start derating the load capacity with each spring removed? If I go this route, I would probably add helper airbags in the rear.

As for the front with drop spindles and a cut coil or lowering spring, will I need to change or adjust other components in the front due to a geometry change?

"Stupid is as Stupid does" - Forrest Gump
Mad Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #46
Chris65GMC

While we're on leaf springs and lowering, What lowering shackles do you guys like? Any idea if the springs on a 60-66 with leafs are the same as the 68-72?

Chris