The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

Okay Im serious this time! Where and why to buy a 700r4

The time is now. Where and why should I buy my 700r4? I want a quality unit from someone with a good reputation.

who, where, how much, and why??

swervin I know you have a couple good sources. Lets hear em. What was that one in california?

mike

ps- its going to have to be somewhat of a custom trans, I need a short 27 spline output 4WD unit for my np205 transfer case. But Ill deal with that later.
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
44th Miss Inf

Thy Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford, TX at http://www.phoenixtrans.com/html/Welcome.html
I've had one since 96 with no problems.

Virgil
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:48 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

Mike, I got mine from here...

http://www.700r4.com/

They have the best customer service I have ever seen and their products are second to none.

Visit their site, you will learn lots!!!

...Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:45 PM   #4
allthrtl
Available for Adoption

Yep, bigblock73 beat me to it, Bowtie Overdrives is where I'll buy my next tranny. They have a very good reputation with several folks over at Chevy Talk....
Old 06-29-2003, 10:30 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

The place I recommended was Pro-built automatics.

http://www.pro-built.net/

But it seems the site don't work anymore. I have no idea what happened.

As far as Bowtie Overdrives, I'll never buy anything else from them.

After they charged me $20.40 for a item that I could have bought from the Chevy dealer for $4.00, if I had known the part number, I won't buy anything else.

But that's just me.

1985 Chevy C-10

Last edited by swervin ervin; 06-29-2003 at 10:41 PM.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 10:51 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

I got my 2004R from bowtie overdrives. Exellent tranny, great cutomer service until I didnt want to go threw all their required crap to get the warrenty. Now they wont even answer a simple email. Forget them
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:09 PM   #7
44th Miss Inf

Phoenix Transmissions

Well, I was wrong, about my trans. Right after I got it, something happened to the convertor. I called Greg, he had me do a few test, and call him back, which I did. He said he was having a problem with his convertor supplier at the time, and said he would make it 'right' (All this took place from about 5:30 pm to about 7pm, yes, he waited for me to call) I explained what he had me check and told him I would call back in the morning after I pulled the trans.
Well, while pulling the trans, FedEX shows up with a new convertor, a case of trans fluid, filter, etc funds to send the old convertor back etc.
I haven't had a problem with it since then. Trans had less than 300 miles when convertor had problems.
When he built it, it was NOT a 'generic' as he wanted to know engine combo, rear gears, tires, kind of vehicle, etc.
If I ever need another, I WILL use him again.
By the way, it is behind a 589hp 454, so I know it will stand up.

Virgil

Last edited by 44th Miss Inf; 06-30-2003 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:29 PM   #8
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
I got my 2004R from bowtie overdrives. Exellent tranny, great cutomer service until I didnt want to go threw all their required crap to get the warrenty. Now they wont even answer a simple email. Forget them
Why not!? If I get a warranty on something you better be damn sure I will take it up. What they require is very simple and they only require you to follow the instructions so they don't get screwed over when some know-it-all hot shot thinks they can set up a tranny and get the TV cable working correctly....when 9 times out of 10 they can't because "they know it all". I am not saying this is you Tom, but it is not like Bowtie Overdrives is asking you to part the Red Sea for cripes sake! What other companies will let you buy their tranny, wait two years to put it in, and as soon as you call with the required info (and it is in their guidelines to determine it is setup correctly) start the warranty from that very date? Look at it from their point of view..not just yours. Would you build a engine for someone, let them f*ck it up by not installing it or tuning it correctly, and still give them a warranty...I THINK NOT.

...Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:12 AM   #9
mike reeh

Virgil, thanks for the info. I checked out their website, it looks promising. The prices are good too. I emailed greg, we'll see how it pans out..

as for bowtie overdrives, I will check them out too....

Ill keep everyone posted with my findings.

mike
Old 06-30-2003, 12:27 AM   #10
mike reeh

Well I was browsing 700r4.com and it looks very promising too.. The level 2 sounds like a good trans, and plus they're local so I wouldnt have to pay shipping, I could go pick the tranny up.

I sent email to both sites, we'll see who wins

Im stoked about the prices too, much lower than I expected.. But Ill probably end up paying more since its a 4x4 application..

mike
Old 06-30-2003, 01:40 AM   #11
chevychic

I got mine through Weber Transmissions. I had bid on an auction but didn't win and he e-mailed me offering me a tranny for $660.

I talked to him on the phone, really nice guy and easy to work with. Really down to earth. His prices were good too.

He has 2 sites
http://www.bowtietrans.com/
www.webertransmissions.com

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 06:22 PM   #12
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I would go with the local 700r4 guy you mentioned Mike. This way if anything happens while under warranty they can diagnose first hand while you're there watching them drive the truck if need be. Plus no shipping!!! More truck funds!!!

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 06:47 PM   #13
PHOENIX

I agree going with someone local if possible is a good idea. Dealing with people across state lines can become a major hassle and very frustrating.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:53 PM   #14
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Mike,

the site is working now.

http://www.pro-built.net/

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:45 PM   #15
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblock73

Why not!?
Jeff, I totally understand what your saying. At first it was "your TV cable bracket isent approved by us" crap, even though it was full out when the throttle was apply'd. O well, no biggie. I just didnt want to deal with all their test. I knew that ment no warrenty, and that was fine with me.

But they didnt have to stop answering my questions just because I didn't want the warrenty!!!!!!!
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:39 PM   #16
mike reeh

I got a really really good reply from bowtie overdrives... Its a little further than I thought (my mom says 3hrs) but its the same area code (760) so... no big deal, i was assuming it was a little closer though.

I think Ill probably go with them.

more later

mike
Old 06-30-2003, 10:54 PM   #17
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Pheonix...

I have several Pheonix transmissions. They cannot be beat!

Pheonix is in my town, coincidentally, and I've been all through their shop. I know the guys there and you can trust them.

Converter problems are not an issue at Pheonix. They bought out a converter company and now do all converter building in house. They can build you any 700 converter you desire.

They also have a dyno that all of their out of state trans get run on, to make sure everything is well, and to avoid any hard feelings due to shipping a bad tranny.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 11:33 PM   #18
44th Miss Inf

TX Firefighter,
Glad to hear that they have their own convertors now. I have had great service with mine, and will buy from them again. Greg bent over backwards helping me, and and I appreciate all the time and patience he gave me by answering my questions.

Mike,
Good luck with whoever you use, and keep us posted

Virgil

Last edited by 44th Miss Inf; 06-30-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:47 PM   #19
Pops

I bought my 700 R4 from Boe Tie for my 73. When I finally got everything up and running the trans worked for about a month. I pulled the pan down and parts of 3 bolts were laying in the pan. Boe tie would not do anything they said it was over a year. I had Hero's a local transmission shop in Gardena, Ca go thru it and fix it. No problems for 2 years.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:36 PM   #20
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Bowtie overdrive trannys may be built very good but each increases in price. A local rebuilder built my 700R4 with some of the parts of the highest level and still costs less. A local guy should take all the best parts available to build you one that will last for years no matter what kind of abuse you put to it. I would choose a reputable local builder.