The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
PGSigns

Help with planning

Well this is going to be my first post with a request for information so I may as well make it a good one. Bought a 65 a few weeks ago and it is my third one of this vintage and working on getting everything together for the first phase of work. What I have so far is a 65 short bed fleet side with a 350 and a 700R4. Overall the body is pretty good and will be the last thing worked. I picked up a complete front clip for a 83 with the 1 1/4 disc brakes and the power steering box. I also picked up a booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve from a 73 vette. Here are some questions I have to help with the parts collection.
1. Being a long time drag racer I am really thinking of putting a 9" in the back and could use some info if any one has found a housing that is close to the right width.
2. I need a fan shroud for it and what years will work and are there any other donors to also search.
3. Ball park back spacing on the wheels. I know it should be looked at closely but with the amount of nice used wheels available around here it would help limit the search.
4. Dropped spindles, are there any to stay away from or a preffered brand due to the quality and value.
5. And the last one. It looks like 3" in the front and 5" in the back get the truck level and at a good height, is this about right for a daily driver to clear most speed bumps and driveways?
Thanks
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
MalibuKasey
Artist

Re: Help with planning

Well coming from the drag racing world myself I might can help....
1. 9".... to be honest the twelve bolt that is in it would withstand about just as much worst case scenario toss some c-clip eliminators on it and call it gravy.
2. Looking for a fan shroud myself....
4. I use CPP spindles that way I wouldnt have to mess with ball joints and all that. There made by Western Chassis. But keep in mind when you do that you have to change to disks in the front... plenty of threads on here to help with that.
5. As for the drop.... this is always a question... what works for whatever... AND its a big debate. Im sittn 5.5/7 and still have atleast 4.5" of clearance. Im honestly thinking about going an inch lower all the way around.... I have yet to drag or rub anything.

Good luck with the build... This site has about everything you could possibly ask on it. I think the search feature has become one of my best friends!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
PGSigns

I know the 12 bolt will hold up but if I need to buy axles to 5 lug the back then switching to a 9 inch would be a good way to go. Lots of gears and stuff for them out there and I can pop a pumpkin it it easily for a long cruise or a trip to the drag strip. I have the front brakes, power steering and power brakes covered now. One of the things I am considering is bagging the truck after reading some of the for sale threads and compairing the prices of spring kits and the manual bag kits. Almost is a no brainer to do it now while everything is out of the truck. Can upgrade the bag controls as money permits.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you're going to stay with the original style radiator, it's hard to beat the factory style shroud. They aren't cheap, but they fit and look nice to boot.

http://www.classicparts.com/1963-66-...ctinfo/78-921/

If you're going with a different style radiator, then that becomes a little complicated finding a factory shroud to fit. That might just be easier to go with electric fans.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 02-04-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
PGSigns

The truck has the orignal style radiator in it buy it is a new replacement with the trans cooler line ports in the bottom. Kind of want the old school look of the factory shroud. Guess I will ad a new one to the shopping list.
Thanks
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic