The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
THE "10" SILVERADO

Final Column Question...

I have been going through some of the old threads on here trying to answer my question about swapping an 84 tilt (wiper/high beams) column into my 77 non-tilt....from what I have found from my past thread and what I have looked up is that all 73-87 columns will bolt up no problem but I'm wondering since in 84 they changed to the controls to column that is the wiring really different? I want to leave the wiper on dash and high beams on floor so that being said, it should be plug and play right? No wiring all of the extra gadgets on column up right? or are the harness and column connectors different?

Any help is appreciated...
Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Final Column Question...

10. I think it will go. The way you want to install it, EG, with the wiper control & dimmer switch in their current positions, all you'll have to deal with is the ignition switch and the directionals. The ign switch should be the same, but even if they aren't it's a quick switch over. As far as the directional switch goes, I'm not 100% sure it will work, but it's easy to check. If you don't feel like pulling the switch, lay the new colunm in the truck next to the one that's there now and swap the connectors over and see what happens. Make sure you ground the new colunm before you make any tests. Keep us posted, jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Re: Final Column Question...

There is a difference in the ignition switch configuration. The later model column I swapped into mine required changing the switch (ignition) wires pin position. If I remember correctly the plug had to be installed upside down. A test light and multi-meter would be your friend during this swap.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote