The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #26
pseudopimp

Re: violent front end bounce

i always called it the shutter of death....so bad you had to stop in middle of traffic to make it stop....i hated it. so i replaced my ball joints, tie rod ends, and center link. fixed it and it hasn't happed since. i had never heard of the stearing box affecting it, but thinking back, i did replace that around the same time due to severe slacky steering. but if your steering is fine i would do the front end stuff first.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #27
DetroitDan

I can't exactly see how the shocks could do it, I'd think bad shocks would cause a bouncy ride, but hey at this point I'm ready to buy anything. I am reasonably certain the shocks are probably junk. They look a little newer than the rears, but not a lot. When I pulled off the rears I compressed them by hand and they stayed compressed. Then of course my new rear shocks were not right so I have no shocks at all in the back until I can get new ones. The fronts I have are right, but I didn't put them in because I didn't get front springs installed, they were wrong also.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #28
cvalcore

Talking Re: violent front end bounce

im telling you its the steering box i had the same problem and i changed everthing and it mean everything up front on that truck and it only got a little bit better each time i replaced something. when i changed the steering box it was gone and i have not had a problem since.
cvalcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #29
DetroitDan

how do I check the steering box?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #30
cvalcore

have some one get inside and turn the steering wheel back and forth just enough to get the pitman arm to move with the truck not running while you watch to see how much the steering shaft turns compared to the pitman arm and you will see if there is slop in the steering box. if its really bad you will even see the pitman arm tilt a little also when it starts turning. thats how i check it.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 AM   #31
Mkcustums

Lots of causes, my truck did that cause the tie rods were so worn out, another cause the manual box was so worn. Coiled rigs can do it cause the track bar is worn or loose. I read a 3rd of your first post and cracked up, knew exactly what was happening to you. Yes your tires do leave the ground. I drove my friends 1976 Ford cause he asked me what was wrong, said there was a "slight wobble". I should have known it was bad when he stayed at the house!! Slight? The 42's were hopping all over the place, shaking violently!! Speedo said 48 when it started... I was a bit startled.. Drove back to his house at about 20...

Enjoy the vids...

Mkcustums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #32
DetroitDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvalcore View Post
have some one get inside and turn the steering wheel back and forth just enough to get the pitman arm to move with the truck not running while you watch to see how much the steering shaft turns compared to the pitman arm and you will see if there is slop in the steering box. if its really bad you will even see the pitman arm tilt a little also when it starts turning. thats how i check it.
thanks, will do
Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #33
Mkcustums

When you check, look everywhere, it might be multiple things now that it has gotten that bad. When it gets to that point it wears everything else out very fast. Most likely it's your box or arm though, and like he said check with it not running, it shows itself a lot faster.

Plus check your frame for cracks around the steering box, also try it running when you check that, it will put a lot more force/stress on the box when you do.
Mkcustums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #34
cvalcore

i assumed that you had already checked all you tie rods im shure you have and i havent read where you checked the alignment either. if you check the steering box like i said and crawl around under the truck while someone is turning the steering wheel back and forth you will find the problem if nothing is loose then its the alignment for some reson i thought you said you already check that also maybe you did and i cant find it!!! and if you think its the alingment then i would wait until the truck is lifted you will need one anyway.

Last edited by cvalcore; 02-05-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #35
85X3

Sounds like a "Caster Shimmy". You ever get a shopping cart at the grocery store that would shimmy? Early Chevy vans had the same issue. Go over RR tracks or hit a bump, and it would shake your teeth out. Changing shackles on the front of your K10, K20, or changing the rake of your vehicle changes the caster. Closer to 0° increases the chance of your problem. You want maybe 2° to 3° positive caster to resolve this problem. Maybe even more depending on your vehicle. A good alignment shop will have tapered wedges to insert between your axle and spring on a 4wd. If they don't know what you are talking about, find another shop.
85X3 is offline   Reply With Quote