The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2003, 12:20 AM   #1
resin addict

Question How do I get 5 bolt rear wheels

Ok, bear with me because I'm relatively new to this, and I apoligize if this is a dumb question, but I've learned that the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask; I have a '59 Apache stepside that I'm beginning to work on, my first project is having an I.F.S put on the front end. This will get me disc brakes, power steering and GM 5 bolt pattern for the wheels and tires, what I don't know is how do I get the same bolt pattern on the rear end?
Also, once this is done, what recomendations do you have for a new wheel and tire size. I want something that has a nice low profile, but I'm not really interested in going with way oversize rims with 2" of rubber exposed. I'd say the look i'm after is more of a late 60's early 70's muscle car look. Can I go with 8" rims on the back with 6" rims on the front to give me better handling?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy
resin addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:17 AM   #2
dmnall

Well Randy are you going to be doing a 71 - 87 Truck Upgrade which will be 5 on 5 Bolt Pattern or a Car 5 on 4 3/4 Bolt Pattern ?? If you are going to be doing a truck Bolt Pattern, then all you would have to do is get a 5 Lug 12 Bolt Or 10 Bolt from a Truck for 5 on 5 Bolt Pattern, or a 12 bolt from a car or El Camino w/ 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern.. Plus with any of the rear ends to keep the same 5 lug bolt pattern, you can use 6 " rims out front and 8 " rims out in the rear but to make it look right, you just need to go w/ the right back spacing as well as whatever wheel you want, you should be able to go to a tire shop and have them figure out what back spacing so the wheels will be inside the wheel wells and not rub on you as well or cause any problems by interfering with your brake systems... For example after I get my 74 Front Suspension and 74 C10 12 Bolt under my 68 C10 (which will be after I shorten the frame and get a Short Bed for the truck) I am going to go w/ either Torque Thrust 2's by American Racing in either 16 x 7 up front or 17x8 up front and either 16x8 out back or 17x9.5 out back, I have not decided if I want to go 16" wheels or 17" just yet... I do know that I am not going to use 15" wheels now unless I can get 15x6 for the front and 15x10 out back... Plus consider that I am going to have 4 wheel Disc brakes as well...

Charlie
2008 Honda Civic Si *lease*
dmnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 11:49 PM   #3
MikeB

Then there's the poor man's way -- have your rear axles plugged and re-drilled for 5 on 5. I had this done by a race car axle builder in 1995, with no problems since.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote