The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
doaner70

what you guys doing for more leg room

I have not got to drive my 70 step yet do to broken right foot. But I went and sat in it the other day for the first time and not alot of room. But I am 6.3 and 370. Truck does not have tilt and differnt bucks that sit a little high and doesnt have tilt wheel. Seem like its not going to be the must comfortable thing to drive. but I do have this huge boot cast on my foot. any suggestions other then tilt and putting tank under bed. I dont know anything about these trucks first one.
doaner70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: what you guys doing for more leg room

Do a search on shorting a colomn. The colomn can be actally "pushed" down towards the steering box to gain room. I am sized very similar to you and when my 68 had the regular stuff in it it was tight to sat the least and not fun or comfortable to drive. My truck also has the buddy buckets and I think they may set a little higher as well. A smaller diameter sterring wheel might help, unless you truck is not equipped with power steering[ smaller wheel=harder to turn] I put in the tilt in my truck and the "trick of pushing it towards the dash was used as well. The shift collar on my colomn is almost toching the dash gromet. But when you push down the colomn it seems to lessen the tilt effects, may have something to do with the shorter leveror something like that. Hope this helps .Now if I have really confused you I will try better next time let me know if I need to clear anything up for you. by the way welcome. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Here's Putters how to thread on shortening the column, one of the first mods I did and it worked a treat....won't help on leg room mind.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=191143

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
ls1nova71

The easiest thing to do would be to buy a newer truck. They make them bigger every body style change. The seat in a 67-72 will only go back so far, and moving the tank will do nothing for that. You can move the column like others said, but the leg room will always be the same unless you were to extend the cab.
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
doaner70

Well that will help out alot it looks like I will have a little more room for my big ole belly. Yes it would just be easeir to by a newer truck but already have 2 newer trucks with lots of room. But I love the 67-72 trucks and now that I have one I need to make it more comfy to drive even thow I havent drove it yet just sat in it like a kid reving the motor up. Thanks alot guys this site is so helpful all ready. SO putting the tank under the bed doesnt give it any more seat room I just thought it would. It seems like the brake pedal needs to go back a little. But it might just be this big ole boot cast thing on my foot.
doaner70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

it seems like to me with the available space behind the front wheels...that the floor could be cut at the front where it begins to tilt upward, flat sectioned stretched a forward a couple of inches, then modify the section between it and the bottom of the firewall to seal everything back up. If this is possible in reality and not just in my mind....seems like it would be a popular kit, if someone made it.

No?

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
jce4isu

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner70 View Post
I have not got to drive my 70 step yet do to broken right foot. But I went and sat in it the other day for the first time and not alot of room. But I am 6.3 and 370. Truck does not have tilt and differnt bucks that sit a little high and doesnt have tilt wheel. Seem like its not going to be the must comfortable thing to drive. but I do have this huge boot cast on my foot. any suggestions other then tilt and putting tank under bed. I dont know anything about these trucks first one.
I'm the same size and switched to a stock bench and that helped. I'm going to try moving the steering wheel this week
Posted via Mobile Device
jce4isu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Steve Hafner

My 70 has power brakes and the rod was adjusted so that the brake pedal is as close to the floor as possible ( but still works well ) now, I just move my foot over to the brake from the gas pedal, without having to "lift up" my leg - it DOES help !!!

Life is short . . . we only have, right now.

. . . .

My 70 C-10's BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475526
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
brad_man_72
the boat guy

just push that skinny pedal through the firewall works for me.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
Here's Putters how to thread on shortening the column, one of the first mods I did and it worked a treat....won't help on leg room mind.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=191143

Thanks for the link to the steering column! I am going to work mine this weekend.

AL
'69 GMC 2500 Custom Camper
'69 Chevy C10 396
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
kacz81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
it seems like to me with the available space behind the front wheels...that the floor could be cut at the front where it begins to tilt upward, flat sectioned stretched a forward a couple of inches, then modify the section between it and the bottom of the firewall to seal everything back up. If this is possible in reality and not just in my mind....seems like it would be a popular kit, if someone made it.

No?

http://www.powerblocktv.com/magazine/

JULY 2010 ISSUE PAGE 12

GIVES YOU A ROUGH IDEA OF HOW TO DO THIS AS THEY DID IT WITH ROOM TO CLEAR 22" WHEELS
kacz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
barryvanhook

The steering column mod is one partial solution to the problem. I also fitted a smaller steering wheel to mine, a 12 1/2" Grant wheel ... of course I have power steering ... this let my thunder thighs slide under easier. And if I had thought of it in time, I would have had my upholsterer reduce the thickness of the foam in the seat by an inch or two. That might not work for those who want stock upholstery, but my seat upholstery isn't stock. Each of these mods allow you to pick up an inch or two in critical areas. It ain't ideal, but it does help.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
bonespjm

has anyone ever droped the seat w/o the gas tank behind the seat
bonespjm is offline   Reply With Quote