The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Stitch
Account Suspended

700r4 acting funny

So awhile ago when it was warm out still, my truck start acting up and became undriveable so I parked it. Here's the problem.

Every once in a while the truck would not have any power and I couldn't figure out why. I have a 6x12 utility trailer. And with the trailer unloaded, the truck was having a hard time keeping 50 mph up a slight hill with the empty trailer in tow. Then it got worse.

What it seems to do is when I first start the truck up, it drives fine allthe way up into OD. But after a minute or two it doesn't want to downshift. It started out slow like I said. When it first happened it would start to downshift really hard like the line pressure was really built up. It doesn't do it sporatically. It does it every single time. If has gotten so bad now and it locks in gear so soon that sometimes I can't get out of first before it does it. And I don't have to be driving down the road for it to do it. If I let the truck sit and idle it, it seems like the pressure builds up and it won't even shift into first gear. When it happens, I have tried shifting it into all gears manually and it doesn't help anything. I have adjusted on the tv cable and it helped when it first happened but now it does nothing to help. Also if I let the truck sit for a half hour to am hour, it's almost like the transmission resets itself and it'll work again for a short period of time. That's why I think it has something to do with the line pressure.

One other thing to consider is that I have the lock up wired on a constant 12v. I was told that was ok so I did that. Font know if that would affect it or not. Thought I'd mention it though.

So do y'all think it's fixable or is it toast and need a rebuild. If it does need a rebuild I'd like to do it myself. We'll get to that when the time comes. Thanks for the help fellas.

I have also already out the GM synchromesh modifier or whatever it is in the tranny too and that didn't work. Please help. Someone told me to take a hammer and smack something on the tranny. I don't remember what it was but I really don't want to go smacking on the tranny with a hammer either lol. But I will of it fixes it.

Also this is in an 84 c10 with a 6.2 diesel. I'm pretty sure it is still the 84 tranny. Thanks again.

Chuck
Posted via Mobile Device
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
mooseknuckles

Re: 700r4 acting funny

were you towing in overdrive?
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
D13

Responded on the oil burnin' board, But I wil here too. Search for my thread in the drivetrain forum (advanced search, threads started by D13). When think you know what you need pm Clinebarger, he is the man to talk to.

Me, TV cable, shift kit, updated TV and boost valve.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Stitch
Account Suspended

Anyone else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote