The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
t76turbo

Aftermarket steering wheel install, does spring stay?

I read the FAQ writeup and searched but didnt find an exact answer.

I am installing a Grant steering wheel on the tilt column in the 70 c-10 I just bought. I dont know what year vehicle the column came out of but I assume it is the same as what most guys are using.

I installed everything and the horn continuously honks. I do know why but dont know how to fix it.

I cant take pics since I need to buy new bolts for my puller for the Grant hub but I will try to explain. If I get the bolts soon I will pull the Grant hub off and take some pics.

The metal on the blinker cancelling ring folds over the edge of the plastic going towards the steering wheel. It is making contact with the Grant hub and therefore grounding itself and in turn the horn. So it honks. The instructions show a spacer below this canceling ring but my setup has a large, very heavy guage spring there that pushes up on it. I got a pick and pushed the metal edge of the ring away from the hub and the horn quits (I unplugged the horns but I hear the relay trip off).

I am guessing that the spring is pushing the ring into the Grant hub. If I took it off it may not make contact. But what is the spring there for and will it screw anything up if I do?

My other option was to take the hub back off and put something between it and the blinker cancel so they couldn't make contact. But my fear was it would eventually wear through and make contact anyway.

Last edited by t76turbo; 02-08-2011 at 10:19 AM.
t76turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
swierker

Re: Aftermarket steering wheel install, does spring stay?

It would be easier if you could post some pictures. I installed a grant steering wheel and I didn't have any problems with mine.

The spring is what holds the horn button off of the wheel itself so that it does not ground the horn. Without the spring, the horn button would just lay on the wheel and the horn would always be on.

Are you using the correct installation kit for the column? I remember there were 2 or 3 different kits for the 67-72 columns (don't remember years though)
Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
t76turbo

Re: Aftermarket steering wheel install, does spring stay?

I talked with the engineer at Grant and figured it out.

The spring I was talking about is under the blinker cancel cam/ring. The spring does stay. The instructions talk about a spacer but when I talked to the guy he confirmed some had a spring.

The blinker canceling cam was the issue with the horn continuing to sound..... The metal protrudes a little past the plastic body of the cam and was touching the grant hub. So it was grounding the horn. He suggested I put a couple layers of electrical tape between them. After going to two stores looking for '1/4 28' bolts to screw into the grant hub to pull it back off, I just put electrical tape on the back of the hub (underside if looking at it installed) and put it all back together. It works fine.

I think the blinker cancel cam in my column isnt perfectly straight. A new one would probably have fixed it as well.