The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Big Time

Coolant Temp Question.

I havent had to ask any questions since following this forum in 2 years because of the wealth of info, but I cant seem to find the answer to my particular question, some background... I converted my idiot light dash to gauges . all lights work, all gauges work even ammeter except my water temp .I have replaced my sending unit 3 times , it will work for a few days then quit registering , I have tried all the trouble shooting, ground it out , and it pegs to right. take it loose it and it stays to left . put in new unit works for a few days , then quits . added extra grounds to back of dash ,put in new gauge ,checked ohms at sending unit verified continuity at grounds etc, etc, anyone had this same issue, tired of changing sending unit. I have searched archives and seen multiple posts , I do try and research before asking questions that seem tiresome. Thanks for any input.
Big Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Burt4x4

Re: Coolant Temp Question.

Wierd?
Are you using the drivers side for the sending unit? Guess that wouldn't matter? Sounds like something is taking it out
Old 01-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Big Time

I have it installed in the top of intake ,didnt install on head ,to keep from getting hot at headers .all wires have continuity, so no breaks in wire, like i said its weird , it will work for a few days,quit, then put in a new one ,works for a few days, so frustrated, may just put in a mechanical gauge , but I like the original dash gauge look , dont really want to change .
Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
cparman
sharp as a marble

do you know anyone with another gauge you could swap? If you have worked as hard as you have, my next move would to be try a gauge?
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
Burt4x4

Do you have your engine grounded to your frame? I have seen wierd issues with bad grounds. When I swaped in my 454 I put grounding straps on both sides & body to frame also...just a thought?
If you figure it out let us know
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
DANTES JIMMY

when this new one goes bad take the wire off and measure it with an ohm meter and see what ohm reading you have if it is showing open meaning infinate ohms you have bad wire or bad sending unit
your gauge does nothing more than measure resistance to ground ie: more temp =more ohms to ground
ie: ground your gauge it pegs itself to hot
so if it quits working first thing to check is if you have a full continuity to ground or is there some resistance to ground
if resistance you have a problem somewhere on the gauge side of things not the sending unit
if you have no continuity to ground then you have a bad wire or bad sending unit
does any of this make sense
???
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Big Time

Thanks for the replies, I have new gauge( installed it 3 months ago) , I have an ohm reading from top of terminal to side of sending unit,also have reading from top of terminal to top of intake, I have 4 grounding straps 2 from frame to engine , 2 from frame to body , 2 on back side of gauge cluster , I know im grounded , I checked continuity , checked continuity from end of wire to inside at connector to panel, maybe Ill order another gauge, maybe their is something fishy with this one. I wonder if i am losing signal from connector to gauge . will check again when time permits , Thanks again...
Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Burt4x4

Sounds like yer skrewed..
No clue man!
Total gremlin livin there
Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Big Time

Well I finally got another new temp gauge and installed , and amazingly it works .. I guess that you can get defective new parts from time to time. only took 150$ and lots of time to repair . just goes to prove even if you buy everything new during a build you still can have issues , I guess thats called, Blazer build security, appreciate those of you that chimed in .