The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
thesledhead

tire size ???

I know there are already a ton of tire size questions here already but here is a quick one. A friend of mine knew I was looking for a set of torque thrust's for my build and a buddy of his happens to have a set on his 55 chevy that he is going to tub out. Well all he know's is they are 17" front and 18" rear, they have new tires on them and they are cheap... very cheap. So we are driving out there this weekend and the question is what do I need to look out for when we get there? Such as offset and tire size? My truck has a 3/5 drop, a 73 cross member with stock 73 disc and a bone stock 69 drum rearend. Im not too worried about the front since I have some 17"s on it that I can measure off, but the rear???? I have no clue????
thesledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
orange prostreet69

Re: tire size ???

One thing is that truck bolt patterns are different than car bolt pattern. I believe that your rear should be a six bolt if its a half ton truck?? I do have a question for you though. I have a 86 C10 front end on my truck with the stock 69 front crossmember. I cant seem to find a set of headers to work due to them hitting the rear of bottom A-arm at the collector. Any advice on this since you are using a 73 front end. Not much difference in what im running I believe?? Thanks!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
thesledhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange prostreet69 View Post
One thing is that truck bolt patterns are different than car bolt pattern. I believe that your rear should be a six bolt if its a half ton truck?? I do have a question for you though. I have a 86 C10 front end on my truck with the stock 69 front crossmember. I cant seem to find a set of headers to work due to them hitting the rear of bottom A-arm at the collector. Any advice on this since you are using a 73 front end. Not much difference in what im running I believe?? Thanks!
well he seams to think that they are 5 on 5 bolt pattern and I did forget to mention that I swapped the rear axles and drums to a 5 bolt. As far as headers go I am going to pic up a set today that a buddy is giving me to try out, Ill let ya know what they are if they work.
thesledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
HuggerCST

What axles did you use? The backspace will depend on the length of the axles of course, but my truck has the wider '72 style rearend, and I have 17x9.5 TT2s with a 5.5" backspace, and 275/50s. With these wheels, anything between a 4.5 and 5.5 backspace should work fine. The '67-mid '70 rearends are 1.5" narrower than mid '70 to '72 rearends, but again, it depends on the length of the axles you used. Here are the best shots that I have handy to give you an idea of how mine sit in the wheel opening.
Attached Images

53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

Last edited by HuggerCST; 02-09-2011 at 03:59 PM.
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote