The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
JHT67

Got a question about torch tanks

My dad just scored really well on a torch set. I'll get some pics as soon as the camera is charged, but he got 2 oxygen tanks, 2 acetylene, a heavy duty cart with big wheels, hose, regulators, and a few different attachments. All for only $100. Anyway, I was wondering how to tell if the tanks are rentals or not.

Last edited by JHT67; 02-05-2011 at 06:16 PM.
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Got a question about torch tanks

there should b coded numbers stamped on them near the top with expiration date and ownership info/// sorry dont know how to read the codes
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

There is a collar around the tanks right below the valve. It's the tapered ring that's interference fit around the neck of the bottle.

Owned bottles are "slick neck" meaning the collar is smooth.
Lease or rental bottles will have a company name permanently cast into the ring.

Be damn careful if they are slick neck bottles. Gas distributors will take your bottle and switch it for one with a name on it. Your bottle is now lost and you have a company owned bottle so you're screwed if you ever try to get it serviced anywhere else. They are sneaky bastards.

I own all my bottles. They are all slick necks. Because of this I have to take them to the place that fills bottles to get them serviced so I can be sure I get my own bottle back. Your average welding supply does not fill bottles. They swap bottles. Then they send all the empties to a place to get them filled. You have to go to that place. For me, that means a 30 mile drive into the city, passing about half a dozen welding supply houses on the way.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
JHT67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Lease or rental bottles will have a company name permanently cast into the ring.
That's what I was afraid of. I know for sure one bottle has DeLille around the top. Is there a problem dealing with tanks that someone else rented?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Technically, the bottle belongs to that company then. If you were to present the bottle for service, they'd very likely hit you up for past due lease fees, possible re-cert of hydro date and all of that. Basically, you'd likely wind up just leaving the bottle with them and leaving empty handed or you'd leave with a full bottle and a hole in your wallet from the money spent.

It's a damn racket.

I recently wound up leasing a bottle for one of my MIG welders due to this. They've got the system so bound up with rules and give you so much flak it's just easier to lease any bottle you use often so you can get it filled anytime without hassle.

I'm building a new mobile welding truck right now and have decided to go ahead and lease bottles for it too so I can build the racks to fit them and know I can get them serviced close by 6 days a week.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
JHT67

Checked all the bottles yesterday, just one has a company name. Has anyone had one that had "RESALE" stamped on/in it (O2 Tank)?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
PGSigns

Check the dates on the bottles. Depending on the date they may need to be recertified. Even if you have a bottle that you own a gas supply won't fill a out of date bottle. In the last 10 years a lot of welding supplies have gone under and a lot of others have been bought out. I had some I owned from a company that got bought out and had some trouble a year or so later with the new company. All my stuff now comes from Airgas/National Welders and I don't have any more problems.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote