The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

How do I choose the right welder?

I know there are plenty of other threads out there about what welder to choose and why but I am having a hard time with this. I need something for body work and small projects like fabbing up some new trailing arms. It has to be 110 and I would like to be able to use it on aluminum too but i dont know if that is possible in my budget. I know if you look carefully you can find what seems to be a decent welder on sale or clearance for $100-$150. To be honest im looking at one in harbor freight right now for $99 on sale. I would prefer wire feed. Also are there any brands that I should consider over others and some that I should stay away from all together? Whats the difference between mig/tig etc...Thanks in advance everyone.
blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Gobbles

Re: How do I choose the right welder?

Stick to Miller/Hobart/Lincoln if you want a reliable, long lasting welder. For body work you want a variable voltage feed, not locked parameters w/ say 6 levels of heat. Expect to buy a bottle as well. You can get a good 110V welder that can weld to around 1/8" (in general) comfortably, if you need more then that, try a bigger welder. Tig is not ideal for body work and it will have a nasty learning curve whereas a mig is pretty much pick up and go.

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Heres a link to the one Im thinking about right now. It says up to 1/2 inch but would this be acceptable?

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...der-98871.html
blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
ERASER5

That is a Flux Core welder. You do not want that. You need a MIG. A MIG has a gas hook up. You can run flux core on a MIG welder for heavier stuff, but you want MIG for body work. FC will blast hole right threw sheet metal.

There are no 110v MIG capable of welding aluminum. There just is not enough power available. For aluminum, you have to go 220v and at least 175amps. The melting point of aluminum is low, but it conducts the heat away so fast that a lot of heat is necessary. For bigger chunks, pre-heating is needed.

Gobbels is correct about the variable controls vs notched control.

As for buying a bottle, rent it instead. (Look to spend $300 just for the contract) You can buy a bottle, but to get it filled you will have to go to the actual filling company or you will not get YOUR bottle back. You will suddenly have a "rented bottle" and get hit up for "back rent". Just rent it. The headache and anger saved will be worth it.

Great welders are not cheap. Good welders do not have to be. Take look at Eastwood welders. Looks like a good value offer.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote