The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #26
bigsnookmaster

Re: Rookie builder looking for a mentor......

Awesome looking truck for that kind of money! If it runs too, that's just a plus! Congrats!!
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #27
72 tigger

Brian, If I were you I'd drive it awhile until you feel like you know what kind of truck you want to end up with. It doesn't matter what any of us think is an "ideal truck" it's what you want that's important. I've seen guys dive into a project without a clear goal in mind & one of two things end up happening. (1) they get burned out & end up selling thier "basket case" or (2) after wasting many hours & $ they finally do come up with a plan that involves changing a lot of stuff they had already done. Hope it works out well!
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #28
funkytechmonkey

Thanks guys... I shopped around enough. I really think I did get a good buy. I just hope she stays that way. Im sure I will find all kinds of stuff when I start breakng her down.

Tigger... I know what you mean. I am sure there are a ton of abandoned projects. I think I will start working on the motor first. I am going to get rid of that lame 2 barrel and go to a 4 barrel carb. Thats my first project. and while I am doing that I will fix the header leak and tranny leak.
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #29
Zeke's Garage

You got any updates on your progress? You know we love pics around here...
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #30
dznucks

Congrats on the purchase. I agree with 72 trigger, drive it a while as is and see what you think your going to want to do to it.

What kind of carb are you going to go with?

Let us know what you plan to do with the suspension.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #31
NINERS1

looks like a good start! In my case i had to drive mine while i worked on it. so i did the motor first also, droped in a 402 c.i. stroked small block with all the goodies, not radical but very strong driver. then i did the suspension, 3.5/5 lowering kit from ece, 17 in tt 2 rims & tires, some interior work and drove it as my daily for years, saving up for paint & body work! just take your time and do it the right way.

http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/n..._tab_my_albums

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
NINERS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #32
Crabass

Congrats, and welcome to the addiction support group. Question-----why are you going to replace the 2bbl? I know why I would, just want to make sure you understand the exact reasoning for it, and that it is thoughtful and sound reasoning. There are a lot of ways to get this kind of thing wrong, with the end result being disappointment and wasted funds. Know exactly what your objective is, then research available equipment to pick out exactly what it will take to meet the objective. Keep in mind that in all likelihood the price of gasoline will keep heading skyward. Call me practical, but I don't see much benefit in having a really nice vehicle that you can't afford to drive. Sorry to be the wet blanket, just like to see you get off on the right foot.
Take your time! Get familiar with your new rig and what is available for it. You won't believe how many times you'll be changing your mind about things as you learn more.
Crabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #33
R.L.

That looks like a great truck to start with, wish mine was in that good shape when I bought it. Congratulations.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #34
funkytechmonkey

Thanks alot guys for your imput and concerns. I truely understand what you mean about how many times you will change your mind. I was going to drive her for a while but then I decided to just tear her down and do a frame off restoration. I have enjoyed working on this truck so much! I have become an addict. I know when I finish this one I WILL do another. I ran into a few issues when tearing her down that were really dissapointing.

The guy that sold me the truck told me it had the "factory 350" in it. I took the motor out and removed the head to see if it was bored over..... my mechanic buddy came over and said "brian I dont think you want to hear this... but that doesnt look like a 350. So he showed me where the block numbers are so I looked them up and found out it was a 307. That was a shot to the heart. So I took some quick pics of the motor and tranny and sold it on craigslist. Win some...lose some.

I have started a build thread so if youd like to see my progress check it out here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=443274

Thanks again guys. I am already finding out a lot from you all and I thank all of you for taking it easy on this rookie.
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote