The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
alden

task force fleetside rear license plate?

I finally got around to ordering my rear bumper from LMC along with the license plate kit. I'm pretty sure the bracket that I ordered will bolt up to the support bar below the tailgate but I'm curious what the extra bolt holes are for in the rear bumper. The fleetside bumper has two smaller holes right in the middle which I'm wondering if they are for a different license plate bracket or for something else.

The mounting kit I bought is #36-4403 (located here: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=100 ) and I get the impression now after some digging that it works for both stepside and fleetside, but you can see in their picture of the bumper (I didn't notice it before I ordered) that it has two smaller bolt holes in the middle that don't match up to anything on the bracket (and if I made them fit would put the plate a very funky angle) - Item #38-9475 here: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=19

Any thoughts? Are the holes on my new bumper for something else?

Thanks!
Alden

Last edited by alden; 01-19-2011 at 07:54 PM.
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Mr GMC

Re: task force fleetside rear license plate?

The bumper kit I bought for my 58 came with the license bracket that uses those holes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mr GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
alden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GMC View Post
The bumper kit I bought for my 58 came with the license bracket that uses those holes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Looks great! Who did you buy your kit from?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
alden

so yeah, I tried to use the plate kit I got from LMC and it is for the stepside only. brothers, classic parts, and LMC do not sell the fleetside plate kit. Does anyone know where this can be purchased?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
OrrieG

mine originally had the plate screwed to the flat piece under the tailgate. I added a late 60's gas tank with rear filler and mounted a late 60's flopdown plate holder to the fleetside bumper I had. I do not remember if it was a direct bolt on or if I modified it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by OrrieG; 01-23-2011 at 03:07 AM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
alden

OrrieG, I think the previous owner did something similar (see the lack of discoloration below on the panel from an old plate).

I ended up going with the stepside one and just mounted it over top of the fleetside bracket holes (just took drilling two new holes). Even calling two seperate places that people (Mr GMC and another guy on another forum) had previously purchased the fleetside plate bracket ended up fruitless. As far as I can tell, all the suppliers out there are now marketing the stepside one as the fleetside plate bracket and either don't realize there is a difference or figure people will adapt as I did.

If I do come across a fleetside one in the future I'll probably swap it out, but for now I think this works well:

The bumper still needs paint but that will have to happen once it warms up a bit.