The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
scherpich

Fuel Pump question

I recently relocated the gas tank to behind the rear end on my 67 longbed fleetside, and I picked up an electric fuel pump to push it all the way up to the motor, and when I went to put on the block-off plate, a rod came out of the hole- should I leave this in the motor, or take it out?
scherpich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
BATurbo

Re: Fuel Pump question

I'm thinkin' you can remove the rod and install the block-off plate and you should be fine. The rod is the fuel pump actuator and if you're not running a mechanical pump, then you won't need the rod. The only thing I'd verify is how the rod is lubricated, if there is an oil passage into the rod-bore and you remove the rod, you may have an oil pressure issue.
BATurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
bruceman1968

Leave the rod OUT and just put on the block off plate. You wont have any problems with oil pressure. The rod is oiled off the cam, sorta. Not using the rod frees up a little HP cause it's no longer riding on the cam. Thats one advantage to a electric fuel pump...
Edit: I was just rethinking and I can't remember for sure if there's a oil gally hole for the pushrod or not. But if there is the oil would just drain to the pan. I know the clearance on the rod is to much to build oil pressure.

Last edited by bruceman1968; 02-14-2011 at 12:52 AM.
bruceman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
bruceman1968

Here is a pic of the lobe on the cam that pushes the rod.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #5
Rooster's 67

leave it in or remove it, it wont hurt any thing either way. if you leave it in you always know where it is.
(side note i left mine in on one of my older trucks, came in handy. I broke down in a po-dunk town and couldn't get an electric replacement but could get a mechanical easily. course i had the original plate in the tool box too.)
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
cdowns

you'd be alot better off using the mechanical pump and dumpin the electric one if you have a carb//far more reliable amd trouble free with the mechanical pump
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 02-14-2011 at 08:07 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
you'd be alot better off using the mechanical pump and dumpin the electric one if you have a carb//far more reliable amd trouble free with the mechanical pump
Yes, I was wondering why add an electric pump for just moving the tank? The next body style has the tank(s) back and the mechanical pump works fine.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Suburbans had the tank way in the back and mechanical fuel pumps worked fine for them.

Electric pumps do not last as long as mechanical pumps and they cost more. They also require wiring which can give issues if not installed professionally. I avoid them at all costs, but then again, I build for absolute reliability and beside the road ease of repair.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
roughedup72

I relocated my tank to the rear and am running my stock fuel pump. The only thing is my tank does not have a return line and my pump does. What do I do with the return line. Should I cap it or "t" it into the vent line from the tank?. Also I am going to be putting a rebuilt vortec 350 in my truck soon (hopefully) and the block has the provision for a mechanical pump but the hole is not punched out for the mechanical leaver. Can you punch that plate out and run a mechanical pump or do I need to invest in a electric pump.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.

Last edited by roughedup72; 02-14-2011 at 10:24 AM.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote