The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Reproduction Inner Fenders

Has anyone actually purchased and installed a pair of the new reproduction inner fenders? My originals have some pretty extensive cancer in the upper front area on both sides, along with some wrinkles from a deer collision back in the 60's, and a couple of cracks. I’ve read posts indicating the mounting holes are so far off on the new parts they don’t line up with the fenders and grille support. Hopefully someone here has experience to know whether these are worth buying or not.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Bugeyev8

Re: Reproduction Inner Fenders

I saw a set in person...did not look very good to me, I was going to buy the repo fenders the same guy had but after looking at them, I decided to fix the factory ones

I see the inner panels all the time in the wreckers here in Ca and most are perfect, I could get a set if you need them bad and send the up to you, or bring them when I go up to Port Orchard in a few months..
Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeyev8 View Post
I saw a set in person...did not look very good to me, I was going to buy the repo fenders the same guy had but after looking at them, I decided to fix the factory ones

I see the inner panels all the time in the wreckers here in Ca and most are perfect, I could get a set if you need them bad and send the up to you, or bring them when I go up to Port Orchard in a few months..
Thank you for the offer. I'll hit a few wrecking yards around here first and see if I can find a couple of decent used examples. Mine really aren't worth saving, but I hate spending $300 (give or take) for crappy reproductions that don't fit.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

Just keep your eye out for some gennie ones; I sure they'll come along sooner or later.

I was able to buy two good ones and one so-so as a package for around $250, even here in the rust belt
Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
awbrown

I think we should have a thread (if we don't already ) and list the good quality body panels vs. the poor quality one .. I bought panels from 3 companies and 2 were terrible , the 3rd had real decent panels ...
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
mikesC10

I recently bought a parts truck which had repop inners and core support. I cleaned them up and put them away. I won't need them. I would say they are made with lighter gauge metal. They sure are proud of them in the catalogs.
mikesC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
jbgroby

Mark,

I'm having mine painted Semi-gloss black now and will fit them next week. In a conversation with 456 Chevy 'bout a year ago, I asked if the after markets would fit ok, He said yes you need to very lightly bolt everything up and then go 'round in a circle (so to speak) drawing the bolts in, that way you don't tighten down on one spot vs another, a little longer, but I suppose its worth it.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
sailed2japan
Jonny

If you're in need of a good pair still let me know. I can get a couple good originals to your door for under $300, not sure how far under, but I'll see. Down here things don't rust too bad the only thing I see for rust on inners is right at the front where the brace on the underside traps dirt and moisture. I have 5 that are 100% except that one part is rusted thru. I'd send you a pair of those for cheap.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:43 AM   #9
rbar

I have bought two sets of aftermarkets. The first set was good. The second set were very, very, very bad.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
chevyguys
I Got it BAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbar View Post
I have bought two sets of aftermarkets. The first set was good. The second set were very, very, very bad.
Were they both purchased from the same place? If not, where did you get the better ones?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

my 65 has some repop ones.. as stated put all the bolts in and then start tightening...
wasn't too bad a job to get it all lined up though.. only real issue I had was that the coulmn cover on the drivers side had capttive nuts welded to the fender well, which are not supposed to be there.. they are on the cover...
don't know what brand they were, they came with the truck...
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the nuts supposed to be welded to the inner fender on one side and to the cover on the other side of the opening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
my 65 has some repop ones.. as stated put all the bolts in and then start tightening...
wasn't too bad a job to get it all lined up though.. only real issue I had was that the coulmn cover on the drivers side had capttive nuts welded to the fender well, which are not supposed to be there.. they are on the cover...
don't know what brand they were, they came with the truck...
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #13
jbgroby

I believe. I have a OEM ds inner fender I'll taek a look see later today.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote