The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2003, 02:15 PM   #1
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Tricky Exhaust Issue

So, im getting my exhaust welded up pretty soon and I want my favorite shop to do New Flanges from the header to straight pipe to Aerochambers to turndowns before the axle.

They dont carry aerochambers so I will bring them in. With an H-Pipe they quoted me 250 for the setup. This is an OK price since they do awesome work.

The issue is, that I need to convince them that the truck didnt come with cats from the factory. How hard would it be to remove the CAT sticker from the radiator support and then put it back after they are done welding things up. I have the truck smog exempt so thats not the issue. I could just tell them its a 73. Right?
Old 07-06-2003, 03:03 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

I personally would do the exhaust myself... the headers through to the piping really isn't that difficult to do, and would save you a lot of money. Just go to a local muffler shop, get some clamps, the Aerochambers you want, and install it all yourself, other than welding some clamps to the frame or something to make it all firm, all you really need is a wrench and a socket or two for bolts... I redid all of my truck's exhaust system minus the headers within an hour or two...
Old 07-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #3
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs down

As far as the sticker go's all the one's i've ever seen removed are runined and unledgable so i wouldn't remove it.

You can tell them it's a '73 but what if the guy can tell it's not or what if he ask to see your registration for the truck???

Can't you work something out with the guy to do it on the side or something offer him more money.

It sound's like you've used him alot so he should be able to work something out with you but don't go there and lie to the guy.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Well I used them on my previous truck and they did really quality work at a good price.

And No I am not going to try to do it myself. I need quality welds, but some crimped clamps. I dont want my muffler coming loose at 60 on the freeway and dropping down. If I cant do it and be sure its quality. Then I will pay someone who can.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

My father install the last muffler on my truck, and it lasted for close to 150 000 km with only two peices of wire and some factory clamps =) Sure it swung around a bit, but it was as secure as needed for highway driving. For my current muffler that I just installed, I took the muffler and brazed some steel roofing straps along the bottom and just bolted it to the frame then clamped the fittings with some good clamps. I used the factory piping as it was still good, just needed to replace the muffler and generally tighten things up in it. Sounds great, and that muffler is in there tight, it hardly moves anymore. Total money spent? $78.90 on two clamps and the muffler

Its easy to do, and cheap if you do it yourself with some improvising!
Old 07-06-2003, 03:57 PM   #6
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

I couldnt do that to my truck. It was a freaking show truck in its past life and I plan to show it again with a little updating.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:13 PM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

Ahhh, I see, I thought it was just a daily driver! If it is a show truck, then get it done professionally
Old 07-06-2003, 04:19 PM   #8
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Well... its a daily driver for now. Thats what I bought it for and thats what I use it for. Its just a REALLY NICE daily driver.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:33 PM   #9
Russell
Professional Grade

I guess that I am a 16 year old kid who is just barely making enough to pay for insurance and gas while getting a little bit of extra money, I like to do things the cheap way as it is so much of a beater that it will never be a show truck again unless I happen to come across like 20 000 bucks to put into it :P
Old 07-06-2003, 06:10 PM   #10
boataddict26

If it is smog exempt then what is the problem?
Old 07-06-2003, 06:11 PM   #11
TIMSPEED

Rolf, check your PM's