The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
hobos72

Angry timing issues on 72 chevy with 250

i sont know what has happened to my truck but when i got it it wouldnt go over 50 i was told i needed a carb so i bought one had it put on reason for not doin it myself was oreileys sent wrong carb and i didnt know it so it wasnt runnin right so i put new plugs,wires,cap,button,points,condensor still not right so took to shop.guy puts new carb on i get it back and its running way high plus its getting crappy gas milage and the tickin (now i know that all sixes have a tick)but this is outragous wasnt doin it that bad before so is it possible that the timing is set too high and if so how can i adjust it without a light.ive read some people sayn 2 degrees low or high how do i know how many degrees i turn it.
hobos72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Keller

Re: timing issues on 72 chevy with 250

it could be a few different things. do you trust the shop that did the work? when you say its running way high... is that when the truck is sitting at idle? a slight base timing issue (give or take 2 degrees) wouldnt make a drastic difference in idle. to me it seems that would be a carb issue. play around with the idle adjustments on the carb and see if it helps. also, was the engine fully warmed up when it was running high? if so, that could be a choke issue. mine will idle high when the engine is cold and then go down to about 6-700 rpm once the engine has warmed up.

i'm not sure what to say as far as the ticking goes. could you describe it better? can you tell where it's coming from when you stick your head under the hood?

also, i'm not sure what your mechanical ability is but it may be in your best interest to take it to a different shop and get their opinion.

i just noticed that you are in dickson! howdy neighbor! if you can make it to nashville i would recomment P&J automotive on charlotte ave. it's behind a place called Wilkie's. they run a real old school father and son shop... to the point where they'll pick and choose the work they want to do based on the vehicle. they have a long history with old chevys and hate fords.

Last edited by Keller; 02-16-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: addition
Keller is offline   Reply With Quote