The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Sarge261

What Should I Buy

I just purchased a 76 frame, I am in the process of ordering the brake lines, Stainless Lines, But I'm gonna put a 86 body on it. I wasnt sure what the difference in the lines would be, but I was gonna order the 86 lines thinking there isnt much difference in the frames or bodys?

Am I way off here or should I be ordering for a 76?

Sarge

Project THOR
Sarge261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Re: What Should I Buy

Instead of pre-bent lines, make your own out of bulk stainless steel tubing. That way YOU can route how and where YOU want it to work best for you.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
thesickc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN View Post
Instead of pre-bent lines, make your own out of bulk stainless steel tubing. That way YOU can route how and where YOU want it to work best for you.
x2. if you dont have the tools summit sells a bender and flaring kit for around 20 bucks

1979 camaro 358 super t10

2003 f250 superchip slp exhaust
thesickc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
cableguy0

You cannot flare stainless with a standard flaring tool. You will crack the stainless and it will end up blowing lines. Without a hydraulic flaring tool you should not attempt to flare stainless lines.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
ray_mcavoy

Hi Sarge,

I agree with Cableguy about flaring stainless with a standard tool. I'd recommend using nickel/copper alloy brake tubing if you want to bend & flare your own lines. It's rustproof and almost as easy as working with copper tubing.

If you decide to go with a set of pre-bent lines, I think you'd want to go with the 76 lines to make sure they fit the 76 frame. I know on the 4x4's there is a difference in the front brake lines. 73-80 have the front flex lines attached directly to holes in the frame rails. While 81-87 have the flex lines spaced away from the frame a little on brackets (so the steel lines connecting out to them are a little longer).

The brake lines don't attach anywhere to the cab/body itself ... just to the master cylinder. And the master cylinder position didn't change over the years. However, I believe the front/rear outlets on the master cylinders did change position. Early ones had the front brake line outlet on the front (and rear outlet on the rear). Sometime in the late 70's or early 80's they reversed positions. Using a 76 style master cylinder would be best if you use 76 brake lines. But I think there's enough extra length in those lines so they could be slightly re-bent to accomodate a newer style master cylinder.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Sarge261

Thanks for the help,

I will try to look at the 87 truck I have apart and see what I can and then look at the 76 frame in the front and see if there is a difference. I may go with the 87 type lines becuase I am gonna use the newer master cylinder, and with the D44 in the front and 4" lift I may need the extra line near the axel.

Thanks again for clarifying.

Sarge

Project THOR
Sarge261 is offline   Reply With Quote