The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
WIDESIDE72

1955 1st series VIN tag question

I recently bought a 1955 1st series 1/2 ton. The tag on the door jamb is attached with sheetmetal screws. The numbers on the tag don't match the numbers on the title, but the numbers on the engine match the title, which I understand is typical.

My question arises over the fact that I plan to remove the body and place it on an S10 chassis, and utilize a 1994 Caprice LT1, so the engine number will be gone. I have seen blank plates. Should I have the plate stamped with the VIN #?

I have clear title to all three vehicles, the 55 truck, the 85 S10 truck and the 1994 Caprice, by the way.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Atomsplitter

Re: 1955 1st series VIN tag question

I'm no expert on US title issues as I'm from Canada but I would suggest calling up your local DMV and ask how to proceed. Tell them you plans to swap the motor and that you would like to keep everything legal and not have to fudge any information. I would bet they will need to issue you a new VIN tag if that is possible. Your other choice is to pick up a new VIN tag from eBay, stamp the numbers from the title and attach it to the drivers door pillar.
Nice choice of motor by the way!
Check out my photo album...

Last edited by Atomsplitter; 02-02-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Houston54

Buy a reproduction VIN plate from one of the vendors (Classic Parts is my choice) and stamp the VIN from your 55.1 title on it then rivet it to the A pillar and you are good to go in Texas.

The other vehicles only enter into the picture as parts donors and do not affect how the truck is titled.

Last edited by Houston54; 02-02-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
OrrieG

I second the comment to check with DMV. Not a good thing to put lots of time and money into something that could be a problem. Better to tackle it now than later. I could tell what Idaho does but that won't help you in Texas. VIN Tags with sheet metal screws should be a big red flag, they take a special rivet. In most States it is against the law to remove or modify them.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
dicer

I didn't see any vin plates on that site? I've only seen an ad on Craigs list for a guy in canada that was making them? I'd like the link for one.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I'm from California and this is how it works here. I had to have a vehicle verifier come out (I hired a mobile one) and verify the vin number on my truck. Once that was done all I had to do is apply for title. Guess what? The DMV wrote down the wrong vin (one number off) and sent me a title with the wrong vin. So I had to do the process over again and it all got worked out. From what I hear Cali is one of the most strict so I would call your DMV and it may not be so bad. Maybe even treat it like you don't have title and tell them to use the one on the A pillar.

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-02-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Houston54

The part number is 33-015.

The title is the governing document. If you have it in your name with a VIN number on it for a 1955 truck all you need to do IN TEXAS is have this plate attached to the drivers side A pillar with the same VIN number as the title.

The title should have a number in the form of H55XXXXXXX for the VIN. If it is different and it matches a number on the current engine then stamp that number on the plate and go. You can get a set of small size stamps at harbor frieght for cheap.

As long as the two numbers for the VIN match you are legal...in Texas.

Now if you have a GMC the tag will be different and the VIN number format may be different. I am making the assumption you have a Chevy

Last edited by Houston54; 02-02-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #8
dicer

So any idea of where to get the vin plates? Its a small stainless steel plate that is spot welded to the A pillar on 55 to 59 chev trucks. Well on the 58 to 59 its down near the data plate.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Just a reminder.... keep the advice legal here or this tread will be closed.

Keep in mind that every state is different. Titles are not regulated by the Feds. So, as said before; check with your state's DMV.
I have the same issue with my AD/S-10 where I have a title issued in 1964 when VA was still using motor numbers, but I have a vin plate on my cab. I went in to the DMV office and found out that after the truck is done and drivable all I have to do is pay $150 for a DMV officer to come out and look at my original motor (out of the truck) to verify the motor number, show him the receipts for all the parts used, and the state will change my title to match the GM vin plate. But, that's only what VA does. Every state is different.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Houston54

As the OP is in Texas I was able to provide first hand advice having gone through the same process for my 54. Nothing I have suggested to the OP skirts any legal requirements in this state based on the information he provided.

If you have a legal title to a vehicle that is the predominate factor. Although I am sure there are people out there who can argue the point and swap titles that does not appear to be what the OP is trying to do here.

Dicer - the AD series trucks did not use the stainless VIN tag used on 55 and up GM vehicles. The OP has a 55.1 first series truck not a 55 Task Force.

I do not know of anyone selling blank stainless VIN plates but I am sure they are out there somewhere.

The key point I would like to stress to others is to never purchase a vehicle without a title if YOUR state requires one as Texas does. The effort to get a clear Texas title using only a Bill of Sale is extensive.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54 View Post
Nothing I have suggested to the OP skirts any legal requirements in this state based on the information he provided.
I wasn't directing that reminder towards you. Sorry if you took it that way. It's just that a similar thread started a couple days ago was just locked. So, it was just a general reminder for everyone to keep it clean and legal so this member can get some good honest advise.
Thanks

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
I wasn't directing that reminder towards you. Sorry if you took it that way. It's just that a similar thread started a couple days ago was just locked. So, it was just a general reminder for everyone to keep it clean and legal so this member can get some good honest advise.
Thanks
I agree 100%, if I'm going to jail it had better be for stealing several million dollars, not over some stupid truck title. LOL

I went through a headache recently getting the title transferred when I bought my '50 Chevy. The mileage was listed as "unknown" on the sellers title so I marked my application the same way. Virginia DMV has changed their rules concerning "unknown" mileage. Fortunately I had taken some pictures of the truck with me showing it completely disassembled (for tax reasons, didn't want to pay tax on NADA value), so they finally accepted my "unknown mileage" declaration. Getting a title transferred with the mileage listed as unknown is going to be nearly impossible from now on, at least in Virginia.

It's getting tough out there for folks like us. States are looking for every single penny they can get via fees, taxes etc. Lets face it, folks have been cheating the system for years with forged titles, vin tampering etc etc, and we're paying the price for the past crimes of others.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
Atomsplitter

Here's a repop Chevy VIN plate that I sold about a year ago. Actually I gave it away to someone as long as they made a donation to a local charity in thier area. I think it cost $30 but I've seen them from time to time on eBay for $20.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Atomsplitter; 02-03-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
chev3600

Classicparts.com sells most of them from 1947 on up.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/AD%20trucks/jumbled mess of unorganized photos
chev3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #15
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

The 54/55S1 is different IIRC. Classic Parts used to sell both the 47-53 and the 54/55S1.

As said, every state is different so don't believe everything you read on the internet!
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomsplitter View Post
Your other choice is to pick up a new VIN tag from eBay, stamp the numbers from the title and attach it to the drivers door pillar.
This is my idea as well. As far as the engine, I kind of lucked into it. My brother rebuilt it andthe 4L60e a few months before a guy pulled out in front of him and totalled the Caprice. I really wanted an LS engine, but the price was right. Maybe someday the 55 2nd series big window will get an LS. HMMMM...
Old 02-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54 View Post
The effort to get a clear Texas title using only a Bill of Sale is extensive.
Been there, done that, don't plan a repeat...Thanks for the help. I guess I shoulsd have specified in my original post that I was looking for someone in Texas who had done an S10 chassis swap.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #18
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomsplitter View Post
Here's a repop Chevy VIN plate that I sold about a year ago. Actually I gave it away to someone as long as they made a donation to a local charity in thier area. I think it cost $30 but I've seen them from time to time on eBay for $20.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
My tag is different. It is blue. I bought one recently,I forget the vendor. Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
Chevy51

If you decide to go with new serial#plate,Jim Carter's Truck Parts,in Independence,MO. Has the them for 16.90,and the black plates, are for before 1955,then they are blue,also the weight capacity,for the 1/2 ton trucks is 4800,on most. Their number is,1-800-336-1913. Myself I decided to go with the BMV's recommendations,here in Ohio.Thanks
Chevy51 is offline   Reply With Quote