The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
Bigo Serge

2002 Z71 mpg's increased?

Hello my fellow bowtie peeps,
I am now a proud owner of a dark blue 2002 chevy extended cab Z-71 truck to add to my collection. It has the 4.8L motor (I wanted the 5.3L) but the price was to good to pass up. My question to everyone is what bolt ons can I get to increase the mpg's, horsepower, and torque? For the exhaust, I am not sure if I want to get the cat back system or go with headers and true dual exhaust. Computer programers? Cold air intake? I also heard to go with a electric fan, if this is true, is there a desired electric fan to go with? Whatcha think on that subject?
Thanks for everyones input.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
JohnC

Re: 2002 Z71 mpg's increased?

Sorry, but someone had to do it.

There are a number of things you can do for both performance, and increased mpg. My advice is to start with the small things. Tune up, bottle of injector cleaner, check tire pressures. Then I would move on to air flow. I have heard both ways about CAI's for these trucks. I have heard some say they didn't see much of an increase, and others that say they have. So I guess that would be a personal preference decision. As for exhaust. If you have the $$ I would go with headers and full exhaust. You'll see the most improvement from it. If funds aren't allowing it right now, then a good cat back system will be a improvement anyway, and you can always add the headers and such later.

The electric fans I have heard are a real good improvement. Someone I'm sure will hop on here with more specific info on what fans are the best to use, and the best write up on a how to.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote