The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
tawd77

SOFTTOPPER - Anyone have pics/reviews?

I searched and couldnt find anything recent about the Softtopper. My doublewall hardtop is shot, and Im really needing a new top. The softtopper looked really nice in the pictures in earlier posts.

Im wanting to know, Does anyone have pictures of a white softtopper installed? Anyone have pictures of how well the doors seal to the top? Any reviews on any recently purchased softtoppers? Thank you all for the help!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Jon Scully

Re: SOFTTOPPER - Anyone have pics/reviews?

I just purchased my Blazer (71 4x 4 speed) and it included a hard top and softopper softtop.

As it is winter I asked the PO to install the hard top before I arrived. BUT-- I can attest that the build quality, and materials are great-- thick canvas etc, solid construction. THe PO also said that he was quite happy with it. He also told me that it did leak a bit at the doors with heavy rain on the highway-- but only then. I think he gave me pics with it on as well-- will try to see if I have them. I would be able to provide a much better revie come spring
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
tawd77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Scully View Post
I just purchased my Blazer (71 4x 4 speed) and it included a hard top and softopper softtop.

As it is winter I asked the PO to install the hard top before I arrived. BUT-- I can attest that the build quality, and materials are great-- thick canvas etc, solid construction. THe PO also said that he was quite happy with it. He also told me that it did leak a bit at the doors with heavy rain on the highway-- but only then. I think he gave me pics with it on as well-- will try to see if I have them. I would be able to provide a much better revie come spring
Thanks for the info. It seems the quality of these tops are very good!

My blazer is i believe Mustard Yellow. Kind of a light orange/yellow color. Which color top do you guys think would look the best on it? They come in black, gray, tan, and white.

I called Softtopper today and they are sending out fabric samples, so that will help me on my decision. But I would also like he hear your opinions on the color you would choose for this color blazer. Thanks!!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
BLUE THUNDER

I say white. Let me know how it looks. I def have a genuine interest.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
72K5er

I have a black one on my 72 K5. It looks great and the quality of the material is top notch. I do have issues with the fit though. From the pics and the price I was hoping for a little more. If you have any experience with Jeeps, the fit of this top cannot even compare to the fit of a Wrangler soft top. The seals around the doors are not very good at all. Mine is not a daily driver but if it was I would not want to drive it in the rain or snow. I am trying a couple different fixes to seal it up a little better. I was out with my wife and another couple a few weeks ago and my wife and her friend in the back seat were frozen out by the wind coming in between the side windows and the top. When driving there is a good 1" gap between the glass and the top. Also, you have to crack the windows some to open the doors. It also took alot of tweeking to get everything to like up good. I am still making some minor adjustments to get the fit better. Also when it is down, it is a little hard to get it gathered up and in the back since the side windows are not removable. In the summer, I take the entire top off, frame and all. It looks good but for the money, I expected a little more.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
tawd77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72K5er View Post
I have a black one on my 72 K5. It looks great and the quality of the material is top notch. I do have issues with the fit though. From the pics and the price I was hoping for a little more. If you have any experience with Jeeps, the fit of this top cannot even compare to the fit of a Wrangler soft top. The seals around the doors are not very good at all. Mine is not a daily driver but if it was I would not want to drive it in the rain or snow. I am trying a couple different fixes to seal it up a little better. I was out with my wife and another couple a few weeks ago and my wife and her friend in the back seat were frozen out by the wind coming in between the side windows and the top. When driving there is a good 1" gap between the glass and the top. Also, you have to crack the windows some to open the doors. It also took alot of tweeking to get everything to like up good. I am still making some minor adjustments to get the fit better. Also when it is down, it is a little hard to get it gathered up and in the back since the side windows are not removable. In the summer, I take the entire top off, frame and all. It looks good but for the money, I expected a little more.
Ya know, I REALLY wanted white myself... But Im thinking a white soft top would be terribly hard to keep looking good.

I was actually leaning towards the tan. What do you guys think? At some point I was wanting to paint my truck green, like this one. I dont remember which members truck this is, But it is (in my opinion) the BEST looking Blazer I have ever seen. And I think the tan top would go good with the green, or the mustard yellow... Whatcha think?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
72K5er

Tan would be good. I would either go tan or black. Tan would give it a classic look though.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 AM   #8
bigeasycigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd77 View Post
I searched and couldnt find anything recent about the Softtopper. My doublewall hardtop is shot, and Im really needing a new top. The softtopper looked really nice in the pictures in earlier posts.

Im wanting to know, Does anyone have pictures of a white softtopper installed? Anyone have pictures of how well the doors seal to the top? Any reviews on any recently purchased softtoppers? Thank you all for the help!
I went with the black. My thoughts were white would be a headache to keep looking nice. When rolling it up any dust and dirt would perhaps stain the top. Long term black is a no-brainer.

I had a double wall top on my K5 and the holes drilled in the Softopper bed rails were for a single wall. My suggestion would be to have them ship an undrilled set of bed rails and drill them yourself. Take your time and install on a warmer day. The spreader bar is a bit tricky at the ends so do drill them last after stretching and snapping top on to see here the holes need to be.

NOTE> The window does need to be rolled down about an inch or two to shut the door. I am installing power windows that will roll up remotely to remedy that problem via my alarm.

This top will leak in heavy rain. But it's a soft top and not a convertible top. I have just wedged a sponge between the prone areas while driving.

The top overall is the best I have seen. I'd love zip out sides and might take it to an upholsterer and have them remedy that. I think the price is very fair for what ya get and have no real complaints other than having to roll down the window to close door. I am so confident in the top that I sold my hard top and bought and extra one just in case they stop making them or I buy another K5.
NOTE> Your geometry does change when removing your hard top. Check and shim as needed.
Hope that helps and if anyone has any thing to add or tips I’d love to hear!

All the best,

bigeasycigars
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #9
tawd77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasycigars View Post
I went with the black. My thoughts were white would be a headache to keep looking nice. When rolling it up any dust and dirt would perhaps stain the top. Long term black is a no-brainer.

I had a double wall top on my K5 and the holes drilled in the Softopper bed rails were for a single wall. My suggestion would be to have them ship an undrilled set of bed rails and drill them yourself. Take your time and install on a warmer day. The spreader bar is a bit tricky at the ends so do drill them last after stretching and snapping top on to see here the holes need to be.

NOTE> The window does need to be rolled down about an inch or two to shut the door. I am installing power windows that will roll up remotely to remedy that problem via my alarm.

This top will leak in heavy rain. But it's a soft top and not a convertible top. I have just wedged a sponge between the prone areas while driving.

The top overall is the best I have seen. I'd love zip out sides and might take it to an upholsterer and have them remedy that. I think the price is very fair for what ya get and have no real complaints other than having to roll down the window to close door. I am so confident in the top that I sold my hard top and bought and extra one just in case they stop making them or I buy another K5.
NOTE> Your geometry does change when removing your hard top. Check and shim as needed.
Hope that helps and if anyone has any thing to add or tips I’d love to hear!

All the best,

bigeasycigars
So, im in the truck with the windows up with my softopper on. If I want to get out, I have to roll the windows down a couple inches? Then when I shut the door, the window is down a couple inches?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 AM   #10
bigeasycigars

Quote:
So, im in the truck with the windows up with my softopper on. If I want to get out, I have to roll the windows down a couple inches? Then when I shut the door, the window is down a couple inches?
Yes...You can unsnap a couple snaps, shut the door and then re snap. Or crawl out the back...lol
Old 01-28-2011, 03:31 AM   #11
tawd77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasycigars View Post
Yes...You can unsnap a couple snaps, shut the door and then re snap. Or crawl out the back...lol

Well thats super goofy!! Were the previous soft tops from the other manufacturers the same way? This seems like a design flaw...
Old 01-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #12
Erik V

My Bestop (no longer in production so I hear) fits decent. I dont like how the rear zipper on one side crapped out in less than a year's constant use. It was new in box for over 5 years, and shunk horribly, took a while to get it stretched to fit, has been on ever since. I'm going to move the side brackets towards the outer bedrails to help keep water from coming through previous tops' holes in the top of the bedsides. Doors seal decent, I havnt driven it in rain since 1996/7, but only remember being a minor PITA back then. The worst part was parking overnight outdoors, and havin soppin wet carpet from the constant drips along the door glass, and the bedrails.

Erik

Factory (dealer sold new in 1971) soft top:

Bestop:

Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
jimmypop

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363033
Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
heyray

I was wanting to paint my truck green, like this one. I dont remember which members truck this is, But it is (in my opinion) the BEST looking Blazer I have ever seen. And I think the tan top would go good with the green, or the mustard yellow... Whatcha think?

The best looking Blazer has a white top then I would go with white. I've had a few convertibles with white tops not that much harder to keep clean and much cooler in summer. at least the bird poo blends in.

easy to take apart hard to finish.
Ray of all trades master of none.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
Gary 70 Jimmy

I have a bestop and have the same leaks in the bed rail holes behind the doors so I got some ear plugs from work and put in them they exspand and plug the hole no more leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik V View Post
My Bestop (no longer in production so I hear) fits decent. I dont like how the rear zipper on one side crapped out in less than a year's constant use. It was new in box for over 5 years, and shunk horribly, took a while to get it stretched to fit, has been on ever since. I'm going to move the side brackets towards the outer bedrails to help keep water from coming through previous tops' holes in the top of the bedsides. Doors seal decent, I havnt driven it in rain since 1996/7, but only remember being a minor PITA back then. The worst part was parking overnight outdoors, and havin soppin wet carpet from the constant drips along the door glass, and the bedrails.

Erik

Factory (dealer sold new in 1971) soft top:

Bestop:

1972 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 4wheel camper
1970 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 350
1969 Chevy Blazer 1/2 4X4 307
1967 chevy LWB 3/4 396
Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
rads42

I have an ochre blazer too and I was planning on doing a softopper in the spring. I was sure I was going to go with black but since I've received the fabric samples I'm leaning towards tan. I have a brown interior so it should be pretty close in match. I think the white would be too hard to keep clean and black would be my second choice but I've shown the color samples to a bunch of people and everyone says tan too. the only thing that's making me hesitate is drilling holes in the window frame. I have a really orginal nice rust free blazer and I hate to do that to it.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #17
matthew79

I hate when people start these threads and then don't follow up on them. So here is a bump to the OP to post some pics of their new white softtopper....
Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
tawd77

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew79 View Post
I hate when people start these threads and then don't follow up on them. So here is a bump to the OP to post some pics of their new white softtopper....
If you could read, I said I was interested in a top. Not that I had a white top ordered. Then, I got some replies about how the top fits around the door glass. I dont think im interested in the top anymore.

Try reading before you post... If you cant read, dont use the internet.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #19
bigeasycigars

Play nice all...where's the love?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #20
matthew79

Quote:
If you could read, I said I was interested in a top. Not that I had a white top ordered. Then, I got some replies about how the top fits around the door glass. I dont think im interested in the top anymore.

Of course...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #21
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
I realise that you are new, but that is not an excuse for such rude comments....not to mention that it's against the rules.

Copied from the rules
Quote:
IV. Pure trolling, either to upset someone or simply for your personal
enjoyment, is strictly prohibited. If you're here to cause trouble, it will be a very short stay. Immediate BAN and you will be reported to your ISP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Closed Thread