The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
72shortbed12

Water Jacket crud buildup

I have a 350 out of my 71 I'm swapping into my 72. It was a longblock I bought 7 yrs ago, put 15,000 miles on and then tore it apart to start doing a basic restore (that isn't done). Its sat for about 5 yrs now and I've gone out and started it about 4 times a yr. When I went to pull it I found the radiator has a pin hole and leaked out more than half the coolant. When I drained it it was brown and a lot of buildup came out. Now I have buildup in the water jackets in the heads, intake, and I'm guessing the block. Its not horrible but I dont want to have crap plugging up the radiator. Should I just use some prestone flush treatment or is there something better?

Thanks

1971 Cheyenne 2wd Lwb 350 4 speed Sold

1972 K5 blazer 4WD auto A/C
72shortbed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Water Jacket crud buildup

Some of the cooling system flush formula's are supposed to be really good for hard core build up, but in my case I was able to take care of my cooling system sediment issues with doing a couple flush routines.

I've heard some of those flush formula's can be kind of harsh on the cooling system parts, so I am sure someone will chime in sooner or later with their personal experiences and recommendations.

BTW: Be really careful with the flush and the coolant waste, since it is poisonous and pets like to drink it.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Water Jacket crud buildup

the prestone is the best on the market acording to our rad shop at work, even that though, doesn't do much.
If the engine is out, put it on a stand, pop the freeze plugs off, and stick your fingers in there. If it's real bad, it'll be packed in there like mud. Start fingering it out. Then, use a hose and spray nozzle to flush out as much as you can. If you have a pressure washer, then you can use that after you dig/rinse out as much as possible.
If there's just a little sediment on the bottom, then a hose or pressure washer will do.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote