The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Back in Black 66

Question Pro Flow EFI

So im building a 355 small block. i have 2.02/1.60 heads about 69cc's. the 487 castings. Ram horn style exhaust manifolds. hei distributer. roller tip cockers. i am purchasing .030 flat top pistons with 2 valve releifs from keith black. and contemplating buying the Pro Flow EFI from edelbrock. my compression should be around 10:1. im trying to figure out an estimate of how much Hp i will be making. and if the Pro Flow is a good investment? any guesses? if u need more specs just ask away!

Thanks for any and all Input.
Back in Black 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Rannos

Re: Pro Flow EFI

You have your camshaft selected yet? That's a big factor. A common misconception in that compression equals horsepower. Where more compression will give you a few extra horse and a little more torque it really wont be noticeable. The only reason to really up your compression ratio is to compensate for the lost cylinder pressure from the valve over lap in larger camshafts. Anyway... with out cam specs a guess at your possible HP would be just that, a guess.
Rannos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
Back in Black 66

well im not too sure on cam yet. i was talking to someone who said something in a 460 lift and about 240duration is probably about close. its going in a 66 1/2 ton with a th350 and 4.11 gears. i want a streetable power that can also be good on the track when i feel like taking it. so i guess 460 lift is about right. i was aiming more towards 500 but im not too familiar with cam selection soooo. unless u have any suggestions that might help me. it will be lift and duration stated above.
Back in Black 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
Rannos

Well really until you decide on induction system (carb or EFI) you can't select a cam properly. Your best bet is to decide on everything else (induction, stall speed, ignition, etc.) and the power band/rpm range you plan to run the motor in then make your selection or call a cam supplier like Comp Cams with all your information and they will give you what cam will best fit your use. Now saying that, I assume when you say 240 duration your talking @ .050". In my opinion a .460" lift cam that's 240 @ .050" isn't a good selection for street or strip (depending on the actual timing events anyway). If you look back at the cams in muscle cars back in the 60's they ran low lift large duration cams on wide lobe separations. The problem with running those cams now days is the difference in fuel. Now you have to run tighter lobe separation with more valve overlap to reduce cylinder pressure to avoid detonation issues. Running EFI can remedy some of this but then you get into tuning/programming issues. Even with proper tuning EFI likes higher lift smaller duration on wider lobe separations(with cams like this you get less peak power and more power under the curve or "usable" power). I personally have not used the Pro Flow EFI but I have built numerous EFI engines... Ford speed density and Mass air set ups as well as TBI TPI and LT1 chevy setups and all of them have been similar in cams that performed well, so I cant see aftermarket EFI being that drastically different..... Wow I can ramble Anyway easiest thing for ya to do is decide which way your going and call Comp Cams or Lunati and ask for suggestions for your intended use. I personally like Comp better due to the customer service I have received form them but both have good cam selections.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would think that Edelbrock will have some recomendations on what cam(s) work best with the Pro Flo system you are looking at. I would suggest either checking their website or giving them a call for that recomendation.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Rannos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I would think that Edelbrock will have some recomendations on what cam(s) work best with the Pro Flo system you are looking at. I would suggest either checking their website or giving them a call for that recomendation.

This is a good suggestion as well.... I personally wont run another Edelbrock cam due to the few I have used were rather underwhelming in how they performed, but then again I know ppl that have had great luck with them. Couldn't hurt to call and ask, that's for sure.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I wasn't necessarily suggesting running a Edelbrock cam.....they are just marked up re-boxed cams.

What I was suggesting is getting a recomendation on cams from Edelbrock for the Pro Flo system, and using those cam specs as a reference to find a good cam to run with their EFI.

But then again it depends on what cam they recomend. Might be worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannos View Post
This is a good suggestion as well.... I personally wont run another Edelbrock cam due to the few I have used were rather underwhelming in how they performed, but then again I know ppl that have had great luck with them. Couldn't hurt to call and ask, that's for sure.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote