The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #26
el_guapo

Re: What makes these years (67-72) better?

For me it was about finding an older truck to hot rod that wasn't too old to the point where I would need to re-do the wiring/motor/trans. I wanted to roll it around right off the bat.
The likelyhood of finding replacment body parts and misc replacment parts(cheap) has always been a key for myself in a project car
el_guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #27
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

When these trucks were introduced, all we had were squared-off. Think about the '60-66's. Then, throw out the '60-62's, with their torsion-bar suspension. Beginning in '63, you have the same suspension system that the '67-72's had, with coils. NASCAR adopted the trailing arm rear suspension, because it worked for them on the racetrack.

Look at the competition of the day: Ford had a new body style for '67, too, but it was boxier in comparison to the Chevy/GMC body. Amenities for the GM brand were integrated better than the other guys. Dodge trucks of the same years are antiques, by comparison. It wasn't until '72, that Dodge had an independent front suspension; prior to that it was a solid axle....think about that. International was a truck, but styling wasn't their strong suit.

As for me, the years represent my progression from my pre-USAF days, my time in the USAF, and my discharge and marriage. Honestly, I wasn't in love with the '67's. I couldn't afford a new vehicle, whether it was a car or a truck. Muscle cars were what we wanted. Tricked-out trucks didn't exist. Back then, dressing one up wasn't what it is, today. You wouldn't like them, at all. We didn't have the aftermarket that we have today. What I wanted then, wasn't a truck, but a new GTO. As for trucks, I was more into true antiques, as they were then. A 25-yr old truck, in '67...was a '42. So, you had to think pre-WWII.

These trucks have achieved icon status, and (as stated earlier) compare to the Tri-Five Chevies...cars and trucks; The '32 Ford, and the '53-56 F-100's. They're called Classic Trucks....with good reason. Because, they are. In my opinion, it's only a matter of time until the entire cab is replicated in steel, like the '47-55 first series Chevies.

But, like the '67-72's, the 88-98's are also popular for their part in the creation of the Sport Truck movement. Sure, there are people who are all about the square body GM trucks, but they have their detractors, too. That's what is great about our hobby....there's something for everyone.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #28
cmacky

Just look at this .....................................................need I say more they are just good looking trucks!!!!
Attached Images

cmacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #29
biggestjohn

Its like looking at a beautiful woman!! Your eyes glaze over, you can't think straight, and all you can think is "I've got to have it"

OK, a little over dramatic.....

They just look like a truck should!!!
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #30
pat 70/71

For me its the way the body looks! very smooth lines compared to what was the norm for trucks at the time. My girl friend, senior year in high school (1976) had a dad who lost his vision in 1966 so that was the last truck he drove or saw! anyway he asked me one day if he could look at my truck. I said check it out he went over every panel with his hands/ sat in the cab felt the dash/ grille/ drip rails etc, (this went on for 1 1/2 hours) looking back it was great to spend that time with someone who, was seeing our trucks body style for the first time& loved it I even took him for a ride around the block. he said (Chevy hit a home run with this truck) great memories! Now I have three of these wonderful trucks, one shortbed fleet/ shortbed stepper/ 3/4 ton longbed cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #31
67chevy1series

thanks speical k for the correction on y other post in this thread on the first page. this is all i have to do to explain
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #32

Definetly looks. And it looks to me the current tahoes/burbs have front styling cues from 67 and 68 c10 grills........
Or is it just me.....
Attached Images

Last edited by 5150.4.67; 02-24-2011 at 02:08 AM.
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #33
70cst

http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...cks/index.html

Since you asked....

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #34
Clutch442

I rode in my Dads with him when I was little, my Grandad also had one. I have always loved these trucks. Now I take my Dad and Grandad for a ride in mine. Goodtimes that can't be beat.
Clutch442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #35
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
...Tricked-out trucks didn't exist. Back then, dressing one up wasn't what it is, today. You wouldn't like them, at all. We didn't have the aftermarket that we have today. What I wanted then, wasn't a truck, but a new GTO. As for trucks, I was more into true antiques...
You gave a lot of great info and facts,but I beg to differ on what I quoted there. There has "always" been a following of these trucks. It just has grown with each passing year. Many of us really dug the muscle cars but preferred a pickup...even saw it as a truck guy's muscle car. I know I did and knew others as well. I never owned a muscle car until they got older. When they were new,to me,they were for the "store bought" crowd and real motorheads built hot rods or souped up Tri-5s. The aftermarket for these trucks began to take off once these trucks were introduced. There has always been the ones who dolled up trucks ever since cars were done. The styles have changed,just like cars,but it's always been there. I have a '71 Car craft mag with a black '71 Stepside w/flames,wide tires on aluminum slots,sittin' a bit low with custom touches on the cover. I always had a spot for the custom trucks,even back in the '50s "Customs" era when it was tonneau covers,spotlights,chromed exhaust run along the bed rails,louvers,wide whites,nerf bars,Sombrero wheel covers,white roll'n'pleat interior...etc.
I bought a '72 shortbed when I got out of HS in '73 and fixed it up. In my travels in the '70s I saw some cool trucks all over. I really caught the bug on the north coast of CA. I always dug the older trucks and these were just a practical daily drive that fell right in place with their older brethren. I tried a few other cool trucks from other companies but came back to the timeless wonders GM created in '67 and haven't left yet. Other than looks,these trucks have been the easiest to keep on the road,like nothing else on the road. It wouldn't matter what they looked like if they didn't get you there. It's that great combination that makes them the great classics (and daily drivers) they are today. Just look at how many original owner trucks keep popping up. They were the last truck many bought. Think about that. if they are 80 now they were 40 when they bought it and never saw a reason to replace it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #36
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
The following is key to why our trucks are cool and have always been cool. Yes this is an opinion but it sure makes since to me...
Quote:
The '67-'72 Chevrolet/GMC C/K series of pickups is well on its way to achieving icon status, just as the '55-'57 Chevy passenger cars have. Neither the tri-five Chevys nor the '67-'72 pickups ever became unpopular. They maintained a solid popularity over the years, and that popularity rose steadily throughout the 90s. The demand for nice C/K examples has intensified as the most desirable trucks are quickly snapped up.

The progression of prices and availability has many parallels to the tri-five Chevys. The most deluxe, high-performance examples tend to take off first. As prices for high-demand models rise, so do the prices of less deluxe vehicles. When either the price or the availability raise the bar too high for the average enthusiast, people move on to their second and third choices. In the case of the passenger cars, the convertibles, Nomads, and fuel-injected or dual four-barrel Bel Air hardtops took off first. Then people went after the nicest 210 models, followed by premium 150 models.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #37
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

special-k....thanks for your thoughts. You're right in that as long as we have had automobiles, whether cars or trucks, we have wanted to make our look like it wasn't like all the others. I used the wrong term when I said tricked-out. You and I know that we've done that, all along. I have magazines (Motor Age, Motor World and Hub) that are from 1916-1919. I also have a 1929 edition of Chiltons Yellow Book. All of those pubs have "things" that people would want to add to their vehicles. The Chilton book is one that a garage would have hanging on a nail in their "office". In it, you can find bumpers, horns, heaters, shifter knobs, brake lights, etc. It's a neat book. I, for one, lived with my JCWhitney catalog from 1963. My magazines go back to the early 60's ('61). The tricks used to dress up a truck were, for the most part, a touch different than cars. But, you're right. They were done. I guess what came to my damaged brain (stroke) was the time I arrived in Tucson, after spending 16 months on Taiwan. Tucson had a knack for camper tops and stuff that was oriented to using trucks as trucks. We could go on and on, but honestly, I think you and I are singing off of the same sheet.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #38
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbles View Post
My neighbor/friend/mechanic has been around since these were released and he told me the other day that the popularity of these trucks exploded so heavily because they were the first truck model not designed to just be a work truck. These years were the first that were actually intentionally made comfortable, the previous truck generations were for functionality only.
He hit it right on the head. Outside of maybe the 53/56 F100 Fords most earlier trucks were bought to be used as trucks by their owners and most were pretty plain and utilitarian. Few people bought trucks just to drive and not primarily to use for work or haul with. That changed with the 67/72 Chevy and GMC trucks. All the sudden guys were going down to the dealerships and buying trucks rather than cars to drive every day without worrying about hauling loads. About the same time custom wheels started showing up and the truck thing went from there.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #39
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Styling, pure and simple. Harry Bradley hit a home run with the 67-68 styling that has yet to be beat.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote