The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #26
NateK4340

Re: why does no one sell?

In my experience, people like that tend to get defensive as soon as the words "is it for sale" come out and then shut you down. I do the same thing if someone asks about something I don't want to sell.
Call him up and ask him to show you his projects. Make a new friend. You never know, he may be a wealth of information. If you give him the oppurtunity to get to know you and see your passion for these trucks he may reconsider selling you some parts. At the least, you might make a new gearhead friend.

In the Garage:
'02 Silverado Ext. Cab Z71 5.3l
'70 C20 Longstep 402BB
NateK4340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 AM   #27
steelscout
Words under my name

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
And I am happy that we live in a free country and there are still towns where people can keep their stuff w/out the gov't telling them to move it.
Eventually with complaints from surrounding neighbors or from the local gov, the man will step in and make a decision for you, with possible jail time and fines. I saw this happen ...lol.... on the show Hoarders....

Last edited by steelscout; 02-23-2011 at 06:39 AM.
steelscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #28
BIGBLU 72

man there is this guy out where my papaw lives that has a whole hill side of these trucks! im talking 4x4 SWB 68s, five blazers (one with a softop), cheyenne supers...prolly 30 trucks in all plus chevelles, novas and a couple camaros. the weeds are so grown up you can only see them in the winter. well i stopped just to talk to the guy to gauge his interest in selling and he says to me "I dont want to sell and im not looking to fix them, i just want to have them". turns out this guy has been buying them up all around eastern Ky since 05! pisses me off bc most of the trucks he has are really nice! i guess ill have to wait til he dies
Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #29
Shane
Account Suspended

point blank: these vehicles are property. property that belongs to someone else. someone else can do whatever they wish with their own property. yours, mine and our opinions of these people mean absolutely jack squat in the overall picture.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #30
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

As someone who owns/has owned ALOT of these trucks, (got rid of over 15 in the last year and a half) i may be considered a hoarder i suppose. However, i paid for these trucks, saved them from other fates and have sold parts off them possibly to people like you. When scrap prices were real high a couple years ago, people would knock on the door asking to buy them. Yes, you know why! Just to crush and make money. Second, you always get the guy looking to score tach dashes or speed warnings etc... for little or nothing just to flip them also. I am picky about who got to go into my storage lot. I guess the bottom line is they are mine, and i will choose their fate now. The only reason i got rid of so many recently was due to a storage loss.
Bottom line is i am somewhat picky about who got in there and who gets to buy parts off MY trucks.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #31
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
As someone who owns/has owned ALOT of these trucks, (got rid of over 15 in the last year and a half) i may be considered a hoarder i suppose. However, i paid for these trucks, saved them from other fates and have sold parts off them possibly to people like you. When scrap prices were real high a couple years ago, people would knock on the door asking to buy them. Yes, you know why! Just to crush and make money. Second, you always get the guy looking to score tach dashes or speed warnings etc... for little or nothing just to flip them also. I am picky about who got to go into my storage lot. I guess the bottom line is they are mine, and i will choose their fate now. The only reason i got rid of so many recently was due to a storage loss.
Bottom line is i am somewhat picky about who got in there and who gets to buy parts off MY trucks.
I totally understand that....but this guy is wanting to buy parts to use on his build...not asking to scrap them or trying to flip parts... From your comments I'd imagine if a person came to you asking to buy a front clip for his truck you'd be willing to sell for the right price
Old 02-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #32
allengator

But if these guys were the types to sell it wouldnt do you any good anyway...

The stuff would all be gone!
Thats how the collections got there in the first place...
So ask politely, then go on your way... but I dont see a right to be upset about it...

Its not like we have a right to someone elses toy just because they arent playing with it!

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #33
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Unhappy Re: why does no one sell?

I've heard that same thing a lot!! Only to see some of them get hauled off to the scrap yard, where the brought less than what I offered them!!!
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #34
Mike J
vw guy & now c-10 guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by allengator View Post
Its not like we have a right to someone elses toy just because they arent playing with it!
that's a good quote. I like that! and unfortunately, it's true.
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #35
chevy406

he just called me back and said he will want to sell but towards the spring time and i told him i would help him move it around or build them with him and now he said he will keep me posted so it actually worked out!

Last edited by chevy406; 02-23-2011 at 04:23 PM.
chevy406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #36
ChevyTruckGuy

I think folks are upset cuz the parts are not being stored properly. I agree it will rust out on the ground.

I will NEVER sell my 66 even though it has been sitting for 7 years now. It may be 5 more years before I actually get to it BUT I do plan on getting to it much sooner then that. I have so many other projects that need to get done first so I can focus on just the truck. So some may think because its sitting its rotting, it's really is being preserved. I do need it get it indoors though
2008 GMC Sierra Ex Cab 5.3 (once a month driver)
Wife's 74 Ranchero 500 351 Cleveland (One Owner)
My name is Mike and im in So. Cal (Hi Desert)
ChevyTruckGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #37
67_ShortFleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I have just the opposite problem. I have all this junk sitting around and nobody ever stops and asks if I want to sell anything. Man, I wish someone would stop and buy all this stuff!!!..

LockDoc
Got good doors?

My philosophy on tires is the same as cigarettes. "smoke them if you got them"

HAPPILY DIVORCED!
67_ShortFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #38
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy406 View Post
he just called me back and might want to sell!

well after all the commotion for and against you and the other guy, good luck and have fun!

And to chime in on the conversation, I'd love to be the guy that has all those parts and I hate when people like that won't sell me something, so I guess it's because the buyer and seller are too much alike!

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #39
pryorstemmed
4wd Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy406 View Post
he just called me back and said he will want to sell but towards the spring time and i told him i would help him move it around or build them with him and now he said he will keep me posted so it actually worked out!
Good for you, I knew that he would sell if you showed some interest and were willing to help him. Good luck and post some pics of his stuff if he allows you to.
*1970 Olds 442 W-30 M-21 4-speed
*1978 Ford F250 4x4 Ranger-Explorer-Camper Special Marti Report: 1 of 1
*1986 K30 Silverado Crew Cab 502/TH400
*2002 Silverado LT 2500 Duramax Long bed Crew Cab 4x4 107K original miles
*2022 RAM Bighorn 1500 Waldoch edition ...Daily Driver
pryorstemmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #40
ChevyTruckGuy

One more thing id like to bring up. Although my truck is not for sale I know that I would be lucky to sell it for much more then 3k AS IS. With that being said some one would have to offer me atleast that before I would even think about any offer. Problem is that everybody is looking for a deal.

Dont low ball the hoarder folks. Offer him a fair price for that truck or parts. I bet he more then likely might take that offer but im sure the $100 offer really pisses him off.

A 5k offer for my truck would mean that id be looking for a different truck however my wifes ranchero has been in the family since new so a 50k offer for that is a big fat NO!

Good luck with the guy. Im glad he called you back. Im sure he wants whats best for the stuff and might even work out a good deal...cool beans
2008 GMC Sierra Ex Cab 5.3 (once a month driver)
Wife's 74 Ranchero 500 351 Cleveland (One Owner)
My name is Mike and im in So. Cal (Hi Desert)

Last edited by ChevyTruckGuy; 02-23-2011 at 04:34 PM.
ChevyTruckGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #41
rsavage

Do folks who take a bunch of photos of other people's yards get permission to do so first? I would hope so.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #42
NoNeck

I had a similar experience many years ago with an old farmer that owned an 1932 Ford 3 window coupe.

Every day on my way to work I would drive by his farm. On a hill about a hundred yards from his barn sat a nice looking '32 coupe with a small tree growing out of engine compartment. After many years of trying to get up the courage I turned into his drive and went up to ask him if it was for sale.

When I asked him about the coupe, he got very angry and told me that it was not for sale. I left, but I never lost hope that I would one day buy that old coupe.

When I told my brother about trying to by his car he laughed out loud. That's when he told me the secret to buying the car.

He told me that the old man hated "hot rodders", and teenagers in general. The day I drove up his driveway I was driving my 1965 GTO with 8" Americans and station wagon springs in the rear to give it that "racked" look. Funny how goofy that looks now, but that was the style back in the 60's.

He told me to take my dad (who wore overalls) and his ragged pickup truck ('55 Ford) and try again. This time I should let Dad do the talking.

On the second try, I bought the car for $350. The only reason he wanted to keep it was because he was feeding his cows from the rumble seat.

Long story short, it helps to know the best way to approach someone who doesn't have a For Sale sign in the window.

Just my 2 cents...

NoNeck

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.

Last edited by NoNeck; 02-23-2011 at 05:17 PM.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #43
steelscout
Words under my name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
point blank: these vehicles are property. property that belongs to someone else. someone else can do whatever they wish with their own property. yours, mine and our opinions of these people mean absolutely jack squat in the overall picture.
I agree, I dont think I personally would walk up to someones home and ask about things, maybe talk with him and make a friend.
steelscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #44
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
Do folks who take a bunch of photos of other people's yards get permission to do so first? I would hope so.
About 20 years ago my grandfather and father ran some people off my grandfathers property for as the people were attempting to take pictures..... and the firearms they were carrying kind of stopped any bantering back and forth about why pictures were being taken in the first place.

Be careful out there gang....

Last edited by lakeroadster; 02-23-2011 at 06:49 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #45
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I totally understand that....but this guy is wanting to buy parts to use on his build...not asking to scrap them or trying to flip parts... From your comments I'd imagine if a person came to you asking to buy a front clip for his truck you'd be willing to sell for the right price
True, a lot of guys will sell a part to a fellow enthusiast if they know it is going to be used on his own project and he isn't hunting parts or vehicles to flip or sell on Ebay or at swap meets. I think a lot of guys just flat get tired of people showing up and thinking that they can buy stuff for pennies on the dollar or now days offer to "haul that old truck" or metal off for free.
But some of these guys hang onto old cars and trucks like people in the old west hung onto a pasture full of ponies in that they feel that is their wealth. Still there are the hoarders that hoard just so that no one else can have or use the vehicles or parts. I've run into a couple of those who buy up desirable rigs just so no one else can have them and gloat about it.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #46
67chevemall

Steel is like crack right now in Canada...government will just make a law and take it from ya if you let it sit where it can be seen. gimmie gimmie gimmie
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #47
bigsnookmaster

Sometimes if you approach the people in a different kinda way, talk to them, and show a few pics of your project, they look at it in a different kinda way. I once traded a guy a painted rear stepside bumper, and installed a backglass in his 70, for the chrome rear bumper on his stepside work truck. Good deal IMO.
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #48
special-K
Special Order

I have parts I've had twenty years or more. Was I supposed to sell them? We are all on different time tables. Me? I'm in it for life so how long is too long. It gets harder to find good projects and the price keeps going up. When you sell something you might not be able to find another. It doesn't cost anything to just keep something. I hear all the time,"I wish I never got rid of that". We are are all different and what's ours is ours. We decide to sell for our own reasons,not because someone comes along and finds what we may have searched all over for. Many have been into these trucks for a short term and can't relate to someone actrually beiong a cast-0in-stone lifer with these trucks. We won't be moving on. This is it. If they needed restored when they were parked then they will just need a little more later. We keep an eye on them and make our judgements. I go out and wash trucks that haven't moved in many years to keep fungus from growing between trim and weatherstrip,causing rot. I spray rust inhibitor on bare metal when I see it needs recoating. In the end,what's mine is mine and what's yours is yours. I got mine,go get yours. That's it. Making friends is sometimes the only way to break through and we all know patience wins when it comes to getting what we want. if it's work having it's worth the wait or work.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #49
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I have just the opposite problem. I have all this junk sitting around and nobody ever stops and asks if I want to sell anything. Man, I wish someone would stop and buy all this stuff!!!..

LockDoc
The problem is, we just can't get there from here..................

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #50
charx2

It kills me when people would rather hold on to stuff and let it rot then make some money helping someone else out in the process! It's a win win most of the time! I'll never understand hoarders. Most of the time the people pass and leave a huge mess for their children to clear out, or their children are hoarders and just add to their own mess and the cycle never ends! I just hate seeing things go to waste is all. It's their stuff and they can do what they want with it I guess, just sucks when it rots.
charx2 is offline   Reply With Quote