The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
CEE1NG_RED

Lokar dipstick tube..

My '67 came with a '78 small block motor #GM 14016379. Anyways, I was wondering which model# Lockar Engine dipstick tube is suitable for my engine? Same goes for the transmission (350 Hydromatic). Thanks in advance!
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
CEE1NG_RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: Lokar dipstick tube..

As far as the tranny dipstick goes, it's pretty darn expensive for a tranny dipstick. Click on my build link below to see details on it. As far as I know, you just have to specify length. I got the anchor-tight locking dipstick from Jegs. You slip it into the trans and bolt it on the other side, creating a positive seal. Racers use these for this reason.

I got the black dipstick one, it's very nice, and definitely well-made, but again, very expensive. I think I paid around $120 for it(!)

You can actually find similar ones on ebay, no-name ones, for a lot less. I've never seen them in person, but from the photos, they look identical in every aspect. Classic Industries has them, too, for less, but I think they are the Lokar copies. Might be worth looking on ebay.

The way to find them is to just go to the Summit or Jeg's website and punch in the application for a 1978 whatever with a small block. Again, I think they are all the same, only different lengths.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367

Last edited by TheWhiteElephant; 02-14-2011 at 12:10 AM.
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteElephant View Post
As far as the tranny dipstick goes, it's pretty darn expensive for a tranny dipstick. Click on my build link below to see details on it. As far as I know, you just have to specify length. I got the anchor-tight locking dipstick from Jegs. You slip it into the trans and bolt it on the other side, creating a positive seal. Racers use these for this reason.

I got the black dipstick one, it's very nice, and definitely well-made, but again, very expensive. I think I paid around $120 for it(!)

You can actually find similar ones on ebay, no-name ones, for a lot less. I've never seen them in person, but from the photos, they look identical in every aspect. Classic Industries has them, too, for less, but I think they are the Lokar copies. Might be worth looking on ebay.

The way to find them is to just go to the Summit or Jeg's website and punch in the application for a 1978 whatever with a small block. Again, I think they are all the same, only different lengths.
How do I know what length the tubing should be and same goes w/ the dipstick?? This will make it an inaccurate reading...

BTW, nice choice on the dipstick! Also, did that radiator hose gauge come mounted like that or you fab. it? Last, the rust spraycan you use...does it permanently cure the rust issue after it's been brushed off?
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)

Last edited by CEE1NG_RED; 02-14-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
hotrodimpy

FYI,
Lokar manufactures two styles of engine and transmissions flexible dipsticks. We have our standard flexible dipstick that are available in transmission or firewall mount. On the C-10 trucks the firewall mount is the way to go it 24" long and it is your option on where you want to mount it. We also have a Locking engine and transmission dipstick. Our transmission dipstick will require you to drop the pan and install the lower fitting for a positive seal. These are available in trans mount and firewall mount also. The firewall mount is 26" long on these applacations. Also Lokar offers a lifetime warranty on ALL of our products. If you have any questions please call our tech dept. they can help with applacation and part numbers. Toll Free 877-469-7440
hotrodimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE1NG_RED View Post
How do I know what length the tubing should be and same goes w/ the dipstick?? This will make it an inaccurate reading...

BTW, nice choice on the dipstick! Also, did that radiator hose gauge come mounted like that or you fab. it? Last, the rust spraycan you use...does it permanently cure the rust issue after it's been brushed off?
The sizes sold are for the dipstick tube. The dipstick will coincide with the tube specified. The reading is based on the amount the dipstick protrudes from the tube. It will be the same as the OEM dipstick. As far as length goes, I can't remember what length I got, but I can check that if you need me to.

Again, it is a great product, and the fanciest piece on my whole truck.

I bought the temp gauge from Speedway.com a few years ago. It screws into the thermostat housing which I also got from Speedway.

I used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. I bought a quart of it. You just clean the metal and brush it on. They also sell spray cans. It will form a bond with the rust and stop it, in essence "converting" it. Works great.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Doug_J

Just wanna say dont buy the ebay ones you get what you pay for, mine had a plastic tube on the inside an it would get all limp and eventually melted....
Doug_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #7
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteElephant View Post
The sizes sold are for the dipstick tube. The dipstick will coincide with the tube specified. The reading is based on the amount the dipstick protrudes from the tube. It will be the same as the OEM dipstick. As far as length goes, I can't remember what length I got, but I can check that if you need me to.

Again, it is a great product, and the fanciest piece on my whole truck.

I bought the temp gauge from Speedway.com a few years ago. It screws into the thermostat housing which I also got from Speedway.

I used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. I bought a quart of it. You just clean the metal and brush it on. They also sell spray cans. It will form a bond with the rust and stop it, in essence "converting" it. Works great.
Do you know the part # of the Lokar dipstick ordered... My 67 came with a 78 chevy 350 small block motor, so I'm assuming the specs should be similar to the '67 as far as motor is concerned.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

I can dig for the part number, but seriously, all you need is to order the one for the TH350 and they're all the same. Assuming you're talking about the tranny dipstick--because I didn't get the engine dipstick. I believe the only difference for the engine ones is left or right side mount, no? Otherwise, no differences.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

By the way, if you are ordering the engine dipstick, order the one for your engine, not your truck year.