The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #26
truckindude

Re: Thinking of selling my truck due to high gas prices

i like what the guys are suggesting keep it and get a cheap driver for daily use. trucks are too hard to come by.
truckindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #27
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

heck my 05 doesn't get much better MPG than my 72, I'm thinking about getting rid of my 05 and buying something older to pull my trailer
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #28
waybad

Get it FI ,then add an OD with hwy gears and you will have something real close to the new stuff out today, with all the old and the new! could convert it to e85? I sold my prostreet camaro 3yrs ago that took me to 7yrs to build, and I regret it
EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
waybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #29
Gobbles

Gas will go back down, oil and gas companies just use any excuse they can find to hike gas prices. Libya only provides about 2% of world oil but can manage to cause near a 25% cost increase. How interesting.

Keep it!

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #30
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
If you can afford to maybe buy your self a cheap 4cyl to drive everyday and use the truck on the weekends. just a suggestion..
Yep a box with wheels thats gas mileage for going to work and then you can afford to drive the truck for fun.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

I've seen gas go up about 10x what it was when I started driving and never let the greedy speculators or inflation steal away what I love. The whole reason I'm into these trucks over muscle cars is because you can always justify the extra expense because trucks can do what cars do and cars can't do what trucks do. People who drive econoboxes are dependent on people who drive trucks. You can make money moving people,hauling furniture,trash,yard waste,pull people out of the mud or snow,as well as perform jobs which require the use of a truck such as landscaping,fencing,carpentry,etc. I use my trucks,so they are justified. I realized they are just toys to some. Well,keep your toy and only drive it when you can afford it. It's like going out to dinner. You only do that when you can afford it but you eat everyday. If you daily drive the truck but never haul anything and can't afford the gas? Maybe you should consider driving a car and sell the truck,unless you can afford to keep it as a toy. There's "can't afford both vehicles" and there's "can't afford spending so much more on gas on a daily basis". You have to figure out which one it is,unless it's obvious. Then,so will your answer be.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-27-2011 at 08:57 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #32
JMac11

I drive an 84 4x4 everyday to work and have done the math. I will spend 150 to 200 bucks a month on gas, probably getting about 12 miles to the gallon. The truck is paid for, just maintenance. The math does not add up to me. Coming off 5k or more for a import beater, or $500 or more a month for something new that will still need $100 in gas a month. Looks like fuzzy math to me............
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #33
MalibuSSwagon

I have a 4cyl Honda that gets me 30mpg, which is good since my commute is 50 mile roundtrip. My truck is a backup and my hauler, works when I need it, and I do take it out sometimes for fun. it get 13 - 15 mpg.

I'd keep it, good to have a truck when you need it instead of trying to borrow someone elses. If it doesn't cost you much to keep it hanging around

Last edited by MalibuSSwagon; 02-27-2011 at 09:04 AM.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #34
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

you should be glad you didn't just do a 500 caddy transplant......on a side note I'm just going back intot he trucking buisness and am looking at $250 a day!!! so filling the truck once every 10 days seems cheap...
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #35
Shyguy

I am lucky I have a '93 Camry I can drive when the gasoline prices are high. I guess I keep the old trucks because they remind me of simpler times, are easy to work on and fun to drive.

Trucks around here are going real cheap compared to a couple of years ago, so selling a truck is not a real good idea. I figure I will keep both of them for now and keep working on them when I have the time and money. Progress is slow, but like my daughter-in-law says it does not cost anything to keep them.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #36
Roadmarks

Havin' an old truck is like havin' a big ol' dog. If you were worried about feedin' him, why'd you get him?
Roadmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #37
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05crewcab View Post
Gas prices are volatile... three years ago in MN they were in the low $4 per gallon, then a year later they were around $2 and stayed in the $2's for a year before climbing back up to the high $3's currently....

In 9-12 months when prices adjust again you will be sorry you sold your truck.
Exactly.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #38
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Thinking of selling my truck due to high gas prices

I been reading these replie's and it is an issue , for me it was a MAJOR ISSUE in 2010 my wife was spending about $50 buck's every other day on gas to meet her facebook boyfriend's here and there , she spend about $200 buck's a week on her facebook boyfriend's dinner at place's like cracker barrell , so I guess if I look at it in the right way I can just use what she wasted for my gas this summer .

I'm gonna look at it like this

#1 hair do's $200 month
#2 wife's car $500 month
#3 finger nail's $120 month
#4 wife's dating practice's ?? $1200 ? month
#5 wife's cell phone $ 200 month (FOR DATE TEXTING)

should be able to buy a lot of gas with that ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #39
barry h.

Just buy somthing cheap to drive every day and keep your truck for cruising,if you sell it when gas drops back down you wont be able to replace it for what you sold it for.gool luck
barry h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #40
ubtripn

I agree with the math theory, if I spend $100 a month on gas that is $400 per month, that is less than a new truck payment or at least equal to it. Then you have insurance, loans require full coverage, paid off vehicles just liability. That means that gas could go up to 6 or 7 dollars and I am still at the break even point - only I have something customized just for me, something rare, something cool, something BETTER and more importantly - something I can work on. (Most of the time. =)
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #41
Spoof

We can try to justify it as much as we want but I think my brand new Toyota TRD pays for itself compared to what I would spend on gas if I drove my GMC as a daily driver. My old GMC I had to fill up 3X for one tank on my Toyota.
I DID sell my beloved big block for that reason when my Toyota is paid for, if I sold it I would have driven for five years for next to nothing.
I'm applying the same logic to my 8 cylinder work trucks, they're out the door.
If you can't afford the fuel, and many can't...look for a new, exciting hobby. These trucks aren't the only interesting hobby.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #42
ubtripn

For me it isn't justifying, I can spend same amount of money on a new truck which definitely has it's benefits too or I can spend the same amount on my truck. I chose the one I like more. The point I was shooting for was that the cost is roughly the same.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #43
Scott Webster
Sheetmetal Psycho

One of my reasons for getting the little 4 banger car when I got my truck. I try to drive my truck in town at least so it doesn't sit too long. When I work, I'm usually on the road 2 hours a day. My payments on that little car were less than gas on my truck.
Future mods: 67 front clip

Webby's Rigginations - where everything has potential!
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #44
barry h.

19673ontree ever thought about a lawyer.total defferent subject though.
barry h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #45
68,69 K20
They call me the Breeze...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerpymp View Post
You have a daily thats e good on gas and you are wanting to sell it???

Might as well sell it... Doesn't sound like you care that much about it.
What?? If I didn't care about it I wouldnt have had it trucked in from Nebraska, spent the better part of 3 yrs swapping motors, stripping parts trucks and so on. The question was about being able to afford using the truck givin the current state of gas prices, not if I cared about it

Thanks to the rest of you for your advice, I have no plans at the moment to sell it. Just wanted some advice on what I should do, or if anyone felt themselves in the same boat as myself. The truck is close to being finished, so once the snow melts I will finish it, and probably use it for awhile and then make a decision on it's future, hopefully gas will come down a bit by then.

Thanks again guys for all your advice....

69 K20

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy"....Ben Franklin
68,69 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote