The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2003, 02:27 PM   #26
Booga1

Quote:
I was watching (don't crucify me for this) Hi-RevTuners on SpeedTV yesterday and they were doing a sub/amp/NOS bottle panel for the back of a hatchback. They made a simple mold out of wood (just the basic frame) and streched the fiberglass mold fabric over the top of it. Then they coated the fabric with resin and they had a custom panel. Got me thinking about how easy it would be to use this stuff to make custom dashes/center consoles.
Good tip Bouncy...
This is how we used to make custom door pods for speakers at a stereo shop I worked at about 10 years ago. I've never seen specific material sold for this particular purpose. We used to grab some sweat-shirt material or even t-shirts. As long as the material will hold the resin while it dries, it'll work. After the first coat dries, you can build it up with additional layers of resin and maybe some fiberglass mat for added strength. I've been thinking about doing this on my dash and for a custom built-in speaker box behind the seats.

B
Booga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:38 PM   #27
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Yeah, the stuff looked like sweatshirt material and they were doing it just as you described. I thought it looked like it could come in handy sometime. Maybe you can explain how it is done better than me...
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:21 PM   #28
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

Try www.fibreglast.com, they sell do it yourself kits as well as have many demostrations, and completed projects.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote