The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2003, 11:39 PM   #1
Wreck

lowering kits

Have been checking into some lowering kits and maybe you guys can answer a couple of questions..first..I was looking at the 2/4 kit that comes with the coils and shocks..how hard are they to put on..i have a shop with air tools and a bunch of floor jacks, so i was wondering if I should attempt to do it or have a shop do it..It doesnt look to difficult.....and also I have seen a 3/5 kit for sale that is just the coils and shocks...is that to low without getting the shock relocators and an adjustable arm on the rear..is 5" going to mess up the suspension in the rear..I cant afford the deluxe kit with all the goodies, but I can afford the coils and shocks just need to know "how low can you go"?
Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:54 PM   #2
Alexis
Member since 2000

i think more then 4 inches in lowering on the rear you'll need the shock relocater kit and panhard bar. Thses suspension are really really simple and can be done at home. Unless you brake something you shouldn't have much of a problem lowering the truck.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:01 AM   #3
gr8scott51

Not hard

Changing out the shocks and springs is easy if you're careful. Wrap a chain or cable around the springs before you drop the lower control arm up front. The rear U bolts are torqued to 250 foot pounds, so soak all the fasteners the night before you plan to take it apart and have a cheater bar handy. Buy the shock relocators and adjustable panhard bar. If you can't afford them now, save a little longer. You'll be much happier with the 5" drop (and you'll wish you went lower-but you can always do that later). You'll need to grind the rivets off the old shock mounts. Take measurements to keep your contol arms and rear end centered when you reassemble them. Plan on a front end alignment when you're done. You can do it. Good luck, Scott