The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Telecasterjoey

Small problem

Hey, So when I shift my truck into gear (86 c10 automatic with column shift) it doesn't seem to lock into place like my 1990 gmc van does. when sliding the truck into drive it will easily slip past and go into second gear, I have to kind of wiggle it into place. Dunno if that makes any sense lol but I find it annoying. When I put my van in drive I can just pull the shifter towards me and push it down until it hits drive and wont go past unless I pull it towards me the whole way down. its a very small problem but i'm just curious if its an easy fix or should I just learn to live with it?
Telecasterjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
BIG V

Re: Small problem

the shifter needs adjustment
1991 Chevy suburban 3/4 ton 4x 4:56 and pulls great
1979 Chevy 1/2 ton long bed diesel
1974 Chevy crew cab short bed 3/4 ton 4x4 project
1991 Chevy suburban 2wd
1984 Chevy suburban 3/4 ton 4x 6.5 detroit with turbo
1961 Chevy pickup 1/2 ton 2wd
1975 gmc crew cab short bed 2wd
BIG V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
Telecasterjoey

Ic, How would I adjust it?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Telecasterjoey

Anyone know how I'd adjust the shifter to "lock" in place?
Old 03-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Your shift detent is inside the tranny, You have to drop the pan. Once the pan is off have someone move the shift lever (Make sure the tires are blocked on both sides), You will see a fan looking plate with notches in it. There's a spring steel lever with a roller on the end that contacts the notches in this fan plate, These spring steel levers get weak or break off over time.

You didn't mention what tranny you have but this is common on 350's and 400's.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 03-05-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

there are 2 seperate "locks" as it were. One is the detents metioned above inside the trans. The other is located in the upper steering colunm. This is the one you "feel" as you move the lever. There is a plate with notches of different depths cut into it that a square portion of the shift lever drop into under spring pressure. Most likely cause is the spring, either broken or weak. Does the lever feel like a spring is pushing it? There should be a good amount of pressure there pushing the stick away from you and that is what forces the lever into the notches and keeps it there. Also the pin holding the lever to the shift bowl also is known to walk out enough to make the stick feel loose. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:57 AM   #7
Telecasterjoey

Hey guys its the 350 turbo trans. There is lots of spring away from me in the lever. but it can be knocked out of gear if you bump the lever. Should I pull the tranny pan?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Joey, disconnect the linkage at the trans and try to move the bracket on the trans by hand. There should be a good amount of resistance and an audible click as it moves. If you don't get a click or the bracket rotates freely, the problem is in the trans. If I am not mistaken, the shift lever should move freely between neutral and drive but be blocked from moving into "R" or "D2". It should also lock itself firmly into "P". jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote