The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Zonaman

Jack Question

I need to pull the trailing arms off my '69 C-10. The only jack I have that will lift the frame high enough for the jack stands I'm using is a farm jack. It fits right into the rear hitch receiver (1/2" thick square steel tube, attached to frame) It has a tongue weight capacity of 600 lbs. I believe this will be strong enough but thought I'd get your input first. Any experience or advice would be appreacited.

Thanks.

Last edited by Zonaman; 03-06-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Jack Question

you won't be under it without the jack stands anyways right?
I have no clue what a 'farm jack' is, but if it won't life the light side of a light weight truck, then you shouldn't own it. And if your hitch won't hold the weight, then you need to get rid of it anyways.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
cdowns

if you have a jack that can handle alotmore weight is a whole lot better and safer// if you plan on getting into the hobby it is well worth saving and investing in a quality floor jack
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Frkypunk70

Well.... If you have a "farm jack" then I assume you have a back hoe just lift the whole truck up with that.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
you won't be under it without the jack stands anyways right?
I have no clue what a 'farm jack' is, but if it won't life the light side of a light weight truck, then you shouldn't own it. And if your hitch won't hold the weight, then you need to get rid of it anyways.
That's "farm jack" as in 3.5 ton, high lift jack. A pair of 6 ton jack stands will be holding up the back end of the frame while I frolic underneath. Got no farm and no back hoe but I'll use this thing if my receiver can handle the light end of the truck OK.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Frkypunk70

I was only joking about the back hoe. As long as you feel safe I'm sure you will be fine. I will say I had a old chain reduction system slip on me one time and almost kill me. We were just putting a new rear end under the truck. Whatever you use make sure you have a fail safe this really isnt a laughing matter.