The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
burger

Advice needed on leaking fuel line

Gas is expensive and my truck is carelessly dropping it on the ground. It appears to be leaking from one of the rubber lines between the gas tank and the metal fuel lines that run to the fuel pump. Unfortunately, those hoses appear to be inaccessible without either removing the bed and/or dropping the gas tank. I'd probably pick the wrong one, so can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to do the repair? Is the hose standard 3/8 fuel hose or is it a pre-formed hose?

Thanks,
Ed
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Telecasterjoey

Re: Advice needed on leaking fuel line

I'd remove the bed! Way easier in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Telecasterjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

I have replaced them without removing the bed. I used an inspection mirror and a small socket with attachments to get the clamps off. I have XL size hands so it was not easy, but not impossible. It is just regular fuel hose. I think I used a small utility knife to cut them off. If you can get your hand up there you can pretty much feel your way around and get them out. The inspection mirror really helps to line the hose and clamps back up on reinstall. You just have to practice working backwards in the mirror reflection.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I have replaced them without removing the bed. I used an inspection mirror and a small socket with attachments to get the clamps off. I have XL size hands so it was not easy, but not impossible. It is just regular fuel hose. I think I used a small utility knife to cut them off. If you can get your hand up there you can pretty much feel your way around and get them out. The inspection mirror really helps to line the hose and clamps back up on reinstall. You just have to practice working backwards in the mirror reflection.
Sounds like I'll be having some fun this weekend. I assume you reached up between the tank and the side of the bed? There didn't seem to be enough room to get between the tank and the frame rail, nor above the frame rail. Gas was dripping onto my head so I really didn't get that good of a look!
burger is offline   Reply With Quote