The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2003, 09:07 PM   #1
speesh

Angry help! floor shifter prob

I am having a problem here.... I took off my shifter linkage and now I can't get it back together right. I have a 3 on the tree converted to a floor shift and I took the bolt out to put locktite on it because it keeps coming loose. Well, I must not have put it back on right because it wont shift now. I have tried taking it off and putting it on different ways but I can't get it right. The only thing I took off was the 2 links where it attaches to the tranny and a bolt goes through the middle. HELP! anyone got a picture or a clue for me?
speesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:48 PM   #2
1972ChevyGuy

Crawl under there and make sure the tranny is in nuetral?
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:32 PM   #3
jjk3
It's just a check engine lamp.

speesh--Did you drive the truck when it had the 3 on the tree? If so, did you ever lock it up when shifting from first to second? Does it feel like that, or something different? Who made the shifter? Hurst, etc.? If you can't figure it out, then try the manufacturer's help line. The first thing I might try would be to turn one of the linkage shafts on the tranny by hand, and make sure that one is in nuetral. Then do the same thing with the other linkage shaft. The connect the floor shifter back up. It's the only way you'll know that the tranny is in nuetral. Unless you can roll the truck. I know on the stock 3 on the tree setups the linkage shafts on the tranny are splined with little adjustable clamps on them. Make sure the clamps are tight and not just spinning on the linkage shafts. Good luck, and keep us posted.

68 SWB Stepside 250 L6/3 on the floor/ Hedman headers, HEI, MSD 6A box, K&N filter, Offy intake and Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel
Soon to have: WC T-5 five speed
66 SWB Stepside-undergoing restoration
jjk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:33 PM   #4
Stano

But don't crawl under to put in neutral until the E-brake is on and the wheels are chocked. Hard as heck to stop a truck when u are layin under it. I haven't ran a 3spd in the floor for years and I can't remember for sure how the linkage goes without one in front of me, and layin upside down in a wet parking lot with the buttholes in the mustang laughin cause I stuck my shifter and had to get out to fix it. What kind of shifter do you have? I had/have a Hurst Indy II I can look at for you if it would help.

Nice ride 67 Chevy C-10 LWB Built 350 TH-400

Wifes ride and family rig:
2001 Furd Expedition 5.4 Liter
Kickin back in Rolla,Mo. USA

"Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain" Mark Twain
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:41 PM   #5
1972ChevyGuy

I asked about the linkage a while back when I installed mine and somebody posted a good shot of thiers, but search is down will keep lookin for it though.
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:43 PM   #6
Green72GMC

Is the shifter stuck and wont move or will is move all the way to the seat and forward to the dash?

If it is stuck it is most likely stuck in the shifting part. Its much easier to see how its stuck on the top. Just take the boot off and look and see where its stuck. Then where you see where its stuck just get rough with it and it will pop out eventually.

If it will go back and forth too far (seat to dash) the crawl under there and make sure the rectangular holes in the linkage are on the part of the rectangular part of the transmission.

The Second Amendment is in place incase they ignore the
others.
Green72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote