The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
bark

tuning your own computer

Hello, working on my 6.0L swap, and I started thinking, would it be worth buying the soft ware to tune my own computer, that way I could have a tune specially for my set up, and be able to change it if I decide to alter it in any way. I also drive other gm trucks, so would be able to tune them? I just did some quick reading on HPTuners, and also EFILive. HPTuners mentioned about credits, I assume this is how many times you are allowed to use there product, not sure if it is for different vehicles, or every time you plug into the vehicle?

I know I may be opening a can of worms, and it would probably be better just to pay some one that has experience doing to do it, (which is probably what I will end up doing in the end) but its just an idea

Has anybody elso though of this, or has anyone done it, not that I wanna be all fast and furios by having a laptop sitting on my consoul and tuning air fuel ratio and timing every time I drive... I just though it might be some thing to consider, especially if changes with cam, intake or exhaust are going to happen

any info or tips would be appreciated
bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Re: tuning your own computer

I do lots of LSx tuning on the side. I personally use HPTuners and like it a lot. Their credit system is set up by individual vehicle and tied to the VIN. Most vehicles require 2 credits to license ($50/credit). Once you apply those 2 credits to a vehicle, it's permanent. If you want to tune another vehicle, you need 2 more credits, etc etc.

The investment in a tuning solution and a good wideband is absolutely worth the money if you EVER plan on changing your setup in the future. Even if you only make one modification in the future that requires a re-tune, buying the software just paid for itself. If it's going to be a one shot deal and then leave it alone, you're best off just paying for the one-time tune.

That said, there IS a bit of a learning curve to EFI tuning and it's steep in the beginning. It's not particularly hard, but it is time consuming. There is a wealth of information on HPT/EFILive message boards and lots of helpful people that can get you started and answer questions as you learn. I'd be happy to help if you have any more questions.

Last edited by swb85; 03-04-2011 at 03:36 PM.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
TR65

bark,

I am not a tuner. I am using basically the stock tune. I did buy HPTuners software. I have found it very useful to tweak the tune, adjust the MAF calibration, turn off the VATS so the engine would run, change the fan temp tables, turn off DTC's that are no longer applicable, change the AC compressor / fan tables, etc. Another useful part of HPTuners is the real time data logging and display so you can see what the engine is doing for trouble shooting and so forth.

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

When you buy credits for your vin do you use the vin from the vehicle that the computer came from? I am pretty decent with computers and I have though about doing this my self as well and there is a guy in my unit that worked at a garage that did alot of high hp EFI
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168

Last edited by softballnrd27; 03-05-2011 at 12:39 AM.
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
swb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballnrd27 View Post
When you buy credits for your vin do you use the vin from the vehicle that the computer came from? I am pretty decent with computers and I have though about doing this my self as well and there is a guy in my unit that worked at a garage that did alot of high hp EFI
Yes the software license is tied to the vin in the computer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Good info guys, thanks!.. I usually buy Ls engines, some come with their ECU's some dont, the question here is, if I dont have the vehicles vin # can I still tune the engine(s) ECU's with the HP software?
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
swb85

^^^^Yes. HPT's credit system is build around manufacturer, so you have generic GM credits, Furd credits, Dodge credits.....they don't go by vehicle type. When you initially hook up the software to whatever computer you have and read the factory tune, it asks if you want to apply 2 credits to license it or not. If you don't license it, you can still view/save the tune. You just can't make any changes to it. Make sense?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
bark

ok so I am seriosly thinking on the VCM suite pro, @ $649 What elso do I need, should I look into a wide band sensor and controler, or will I be able to get by with out?

I am doing some searching on the forum, but was wondering if there were places to down load tunes, my buddy has an 07 silveroda ltz and was interested in me tuning it for him, to help pay for the software
bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
swb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark View Post
ok so I am seriosly thinking on the VCM suite pro, @ $649 What elso do I need, should I look into a wide band sensor and controler, or will I be able to get by with out?

I am doing some searching on the forum, but was wondering if there were places to down load tunes, my buddy has an 07 silveroda ltz and was interested in me tuning it for him, to help pay for the software
The factory narrowband sensors and fuel trims are good, but they are only accurate in a very small range from stoichiometric (14.7:1 AFR). In order to get your wide open throttle fueling accurate in the range of 12.5-13:1 AFR, you really need a wideband. Plus it makes the tuning process WAAAAY faster because there's no waiting on fuel trims to repopulate after every change you make.

HPTuners has a tune repository that people can upload tunes to, but beware of what's on there. Every vehicle is different, and the tuning skills of the contributors vary widely.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb85 View Post
^^^^Yes. HPT's credit system is build around manufacturer, so you have generic GM credits, Furd credits, Dodge credits.....they don't go by vehicle type. When you initially hook up the software to whatever computer you have and read the factory tune, it asks if you want to apply 2 credits to license it or not. If you don't license it, you can still view/save the tune. You just can't make any changes to it. Make sense?
So this means if I buy/install HPT it would cost me $50 for each LSx ECU I tune?

Last edited by Puropedo; 03-08-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
swb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
So this means if I buy/install HPT it would cost me $50 for each LSx ECU I tune?
Each credit is $50 and each LSx ECU takes 2 credits, so $100 per vehicle. You do get 8 credits with your initial purchase though, so you've got 4 vehicles included before you have to reload on credits. Here's all the info you need to know about how the credit system works:

http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcm...creditsfaq.php
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb85 View Post
Each credit is $50 and each LSx ECU takes 2 credits, so $100 per vehicle. You do get 8 credits with your initial purchase though, so you've got 4 vehicles included before you have to reload on credits. Here's all the info you need to know about how the credit system works:

http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcm...creditsfaq.php
Thank you sir for all your help!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
t76turbo

As said already, HP tuners is a good way to go and the sites that swb85 mentioned will be invaluable.

A friend of mine custom made his own twin turbo kit on a 2007 Escalade. He relied on a pro tuner to get some of the initial tune working. But after delays with the tuning sessions (initially thru email using logged data along with wideband logs) he started tuning on his own.

He is no computer guy at all. I am though and expected to have to help him more. But I was surprised how quickly he picked it up. The key is read, read, read. And if you do change anything, make small adjustments when possible. And although it sounds like a given, try and make sure you understand what it does. After seeing his logs and screens and hearing some of it described countless times, there are tables that are interconnected that you need to know about. Shift pressure is the one he is working on now. He finally figured out shift pressures have to be changed in two spots. Otherwise the setting he thought did it was overridden by another screen.

I want to do a LS swap if I can find a motor combo for the right price. If I do, I will be doing the tuning myself.

Wideband is a must.

Last edited by t76turbo; 03-08-2011 at 10:48 PM.
t76turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t76turbo View Post

Wideband is a must.
So would I need to buy the Hp tuners pro or can I get buy with the regular Hp tuners with a separate gauge? (I can't believe I'm considering buying tuning software)

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #15
Hart_Rod

Great info here!
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #16
swb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
So would I need to buy the Hp tuners pro or can I get buy with the regular Hp tuners with a separate gauge? (I can't believe I'm considering buying tuning software)
It's FAR easier to integrate a wideband into the Pro interface, as it has analog inputs built-in it that will feed your wideband data right into your HPTuner scan logs. You CAN set it up to work with the standard interface, but it's not plug/play and takes some wiring & custom scanner configuring to make it happen.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #17
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Thanks! I'm trying to decide if I have the time to devote to tuning rather than just ordering a tune from someone.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote