The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
56hotrodred

for our northern friends with winters

Well I have been following many threads with extreme truck envy all winter long and although I was not able to get much done on my 56 I was able to get a lot of work done in and on my shop.

I now have my 56 and my sons 73 that we are building in the heated shop. He is going to buy the 73 from me and that money will hopefully do the frame and suspension on the 56 and give me a lot more room in the shop. With 2 trucks it is a bit tight but certainly doable, especially with wheel dollies.

The shop is now spray foam insulated (i.e. 2 inches in the walls and 3 in the ceiling), with interior walls, lights, some work benches and 2 forms of heat (i.e. natural gas and wood stove). Man what a difference especially this winter!

You will note with the wood stove how high off the floor I had to raise it for insurance purposes. According to our building code the bottom of the wood stove needs to be 16 inches off the floor. Mine is almost 2 ft because my insurance agent does not know the code. Oh well it makes it easier to load for my not so young back. The height is to raise the firebox above any gas/diesel fumes that might be floating on/over the floor.

So no more excuses now with air lines, my fingers or anything else freezing.

Still more workbenches and storage shelves for parts to build, another air line to run and several other things but I have got more work done on trucks in the last 2 weeks than I did all winter.

I still have the other 1/2 of the main section of the barn to finish. It is the same size as the space with the 2 trucks in it. That might be in a year or two or three - basically after my wife forgets how much the first 1/2 cost!!!

56hotrodred (Barry)
Attached Images

56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
northerngmc

Re: for our northern friends with winters

Looks nice.

I was expecting a photo of a Florida thermometer reading +90!

Still winter here. I would love to take my 68 out for a drive......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Maximus

I cant wait until I can afford to build a shop... I am tired of working under my gravel carports...
although i'm happy to have my cheap home-made carports...
Although its nice that in California I dont need to build such an insulated structure! I just need to pour a slab and have a steel garage dumped in...

Nice shop!
Nice truck too!!!...
I guess it would be fair to say that your truck isn't full of body filler hah!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
jimig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I cant wait until I can afford to build a shop... I am tired of working under my gravel carports...
although i'm happy to have my cheap home-made carports...
Although its nice that in California I dont need to build such an insulated structure! I just need to pour a slab and have a steel garage dumped in...

Nice shop!
Nice truck too!!!...
I guess it would be fair to say that your truck isn't full of body filler hah!
I'm with you on building a shop but I need to buy a new house first so I have the land for it. It was 40 here today but we are going to get snow tonight. I just came in from the garage and I can't wait until the snow is gone so I can take it over take over the garage (the boss has to have her spot in the winter) and get some work done!
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
waybad

I have one of those wood stoves,, but never used it,, does it work well???? nice trucks
waybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybad View Post
I have one of those wood stoves,, but never used it,, does it work well???? nice trucks
It is a basic Fisher stove (the Grandma I think) and they work pretty good. We used to have that one in our house but upgraded to a Blaze King.

Insurance companies don't like them, but they don't like any wood stoves.

Actually I have had several of them in houses/cabins/shacks I have lived in over the years. Make sure you go to their website and get all the clearances required to walls, etc... You will note I have the 2 black fireguards spaced ca. 1.5 inches off the wall in behind it because I wanted to place the stove 2 ft from the walls. Without the guards it would have to be 3 ft away I believe and that just puts them dang near in the middle of a room.

Anyway I like them, basic stove, kicks out the heat and can easily get an all-night burn if needed.

56hotrodred (Barry)

Last edited by 56hotrodred; 03-08-2011 at 09:37 PM.
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
4DSEVEN

Nice shop, congrats!
4DSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote