The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
PureChevy

clutch fan??

My truck is an A/C truck but the motor in it has a straight fan. I was told that it would be best to have a clutch fan. Can anybody enlighten me. Where can i buy one and what is the part number??

thanks
Will
PureChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:25 AM   #2
guitarman
Do it well or don't do it

Go to Auto Zone or a Junk Yard and get one. Yes you need it also it will improve milage and make your water pump last longer. I dont have a part number but just get one that is the same size as yours. I picked one up for one of my vehicles and it turned out to be for a Chrysler product and I've got all Chevys. The fan didn't know. LOL

Excellent paint and body site:

http://www.autobody101.com/

Visit my Web Site

http://home.attbi.com/~agfosteriii
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:55 AM   #3
PureChevy

how much will one cost?
Old 07-10-2003, 11:27 AM   #4
tom hand
CCRider

You will most likely have to go to a junkyard to get the fan itself...tha clutch is avalible at any parts store if the one from the junkyard is bad. Don't limit yourself to looking at 67-72 trucks...just about anything GM with a V8 could be made to work with the correct clutch...just make sure it will fit in your shroud

Last edited by tom hand; 07-10-2003 at 11:29 AM.
tom hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:13 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Yup - I've bought complete units at junkyards - as Tom says, just make sure it fits. Also, the shaft should be a snug fit, and there should be resistance to rotating - kind of gooey, like it's filled with molasses!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 05:27 PM   #6
GasHog396

Another option that worked really good for me is electric fans. This option will cost a few more $$$, but will move way more air than the stock fan, increase water pump life, speed warm up in cold weather (the fans won't come on until a predetermined temp has been reached) and increase mileage (marginally). Having A/C, you can also hook them up to come on whenever the A/C is turned on. I did this to my p/u using a dual fan '94 Firebird set. I found it at the local U-pull junk yard for $30 (just remember to grab the electrical connectors from the harness and maybe one or two of the relays). I fabbed up some mounting brackets and scored a couple of adjustable thermo switches with relays so I can control the fans independently of each other. With a 180 degree thermostat, I have one coming on at 185 and the other at 195. When moving, the fans disengage as the temp drops to the level of the thermostat. I haven't had any cooling problems with my 396 even with the A/C running and in the hottest of Texas weather. Just more food for thought.
GasHog396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:34 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The electric fans are one route, but personally I wouldn't want to trust my engine to them.
Over the years, I have seen many many people (myself included once) that had no idea there electric fan was dead. When the fan dies, or the relay melts, or a ground wire comes loose, you end up blowing a head gasket.
Also, the electric fans hinder cooling a bit on the freeway, but I doubt it is measurable in reality.
I just wanted to give the counter point on the electric fans.
IMO...the best set up is a good non-flex fan (including the factory flex fans that were recalled a loooong time ago) with a thermostatic fan clutch. (you can ID it by seeing a coiling spring in the center on the front of the clutch). All mounted properly in a solid shroud.
99% of the time if that don't do the trick, you either hav a problem, or undersized cooling parts for your engine/performance level.
With that said, I have installed an electric fan as an assistant to the engine fan on my caddy powered truck. The Caddy engines are know to be hot headed and since I still have no rad, I'll probably get stuck with what ever crusty ass 2 or 3 core I can get my hands on for now. I wired it up to the sensors on the heads which were used for a shut off feature once overheated. (not into the coolant passage, just into the metal on the head) I also wired it up to a toggle under the dash All this is through a relay and fused too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:35 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I weighed the pros & cons.....I am running elect fans. Put those ponies to the pavement! From a 18" dia plastic fan , to elect.....you can FEEL the difference! you need good gauges, & watch them closely. i do agree that the stock setup is more "trouble free".......but I want every last pony that sb makes on the pavement(greedy,right!) i have run BB's , & after that, the mind never stops turning Good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 12:02 AM   #9
PureChevy

can i buy the fan and fan clutch aftermarket or do i need to find a junk yard?
Old 07-12-2003, 12:54 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

You can probably get a new fan...might be a dealer item, that means it'll cost 5 times what it is worth.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote