The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
Thadious

S10 Conversion Headers...

Anyone actually use a set of V8 conversion headers on an S10 swap? How well do they fit, any issues?

Just trying to find a set that I don't have to beat the sh*t out of to fit... sigh...

Thanks,
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
xpickup

Re: S10 Conversion Headers...

Thadious, I used them and they fit and no issues. I bought them from Summit. Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
2ndGenRR

I tried the Patriot Clippster Headers (H8036) on mine and they contacted the inner fender. Not much, so it could have been corrected with a few hammer blows. I decided to go back to manifolds as I'm not dealing with a high hp engine.
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton, 3-window...building to sell.
Daily Drivers: 1998 3/4 ton Burb with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and 1994 1/2 ton Silverado.

I grew up in Flint, Michigan so I can't help but to bleed Chevy!
2ndGenRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
jeffs51chevy

Ted,
I too went back to cast manifolds. I found that the v8 conversion headers work, but much like the whole swap, you have to fiddle with it. At least with my engine placement, I needed to move the steering column on the firewall a bit to get the clearances I wanted. The headers would have worked, but my universal joint was just a little too close for me. I'm sure it could have been worked out, but I want to get this thing on the road.

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffs51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
jeffs51chevy

Ted,
This is from another build thread. He has a buch of photos here: http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/rhondayou/

I know its a little old, but it might help.

"I did a lot of research in the header department and here is what I found.
I first looked at the S-10 V-8 headers and although these headers would have made navigating the steering linkage from the steering column to the steering box much easier I did not care for the looks of the one, long swooping header tube that allows the steering linkage to travel through it. This type of header would have required a large relief area to be cut out on the drivers side inner fender to allow the tube to clear, and compromising looks for the added function was not worth it.

I then looked at the block hugger (Ram Horn) style. This style came too close to the upper A-Arm bushings on the S-10 chassis and felt that the heat may start melting the bushings out.

Finally, I purchased shortie, Headmen Headers from Summit, Summit part# HED-68600. The driver side header tucks nicely toward the engine block clearing all of the suspension bushings and allowing for a decent navigation of the steering linkage. The steering linkage will require 2 lenghts of steering shaft. 3 U-joints......1 for the steering box, one for the steering column, one to join the 2 steering shafts. The steering linkage will also require a stationary eye-bearing. No cutting or alteration of the driver side inner fender is needed. One of the header tubes on the passenger side does come a little close to the inner fender, and minor alterations may be required to clear it from hitting and/or burning any paint away from the inner fender. Nonetheless, I found these to be the best look, not to mentiong the 3-bolt exhaust flange and 3" exhaust opening."

Jeff

Last edited by jeffs51chevy; 03-15-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: no reason - just computer stupid
jeffs51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
WIDESIDE72

Good to know!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
blitz'd
vintage car junkie

I hate those s10 headers. Im either going to make some camaro shorties work or run ram horns.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
one wing angel

I have personally used them several times on v8 swaps and have had no issues whatsoever. I have used HEDMAN brand shorties exclusively and they have proven to be a pretty good product.....
I can,t say that they add a whole lot of performance benefits , being the short runner design, but they do fit and look decent as opposed to the cast iron stockers John
one wing angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
fredscarryall

i tried to install a set of heddman S10 conversion headers. The passanger header fit perfect.the drivers side fit like garbage. almost all the pictures on the internet show you only a side view of the drivers side header. but what they dont show you is a top view. if they showed you a top view you would see one of the tubes on the header stick so far for the steering clearance that you will have to notch a hole in the inner fender for it to fit. i used a tight tuck patriot center dump header #8053. look on the pertrontic.com web sight and check out the patriot pdf catolog page 4. it fit pecfect with my front ifs rack and i did have to modify it in any way.

Last edited by fredscarryall; 03-18-2011 at 03:15 AM.
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote