The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
71biggreenk10
406 SB 700R4 NP205 Twin Stick

AGR Performance Super Box 2 rebuild questions

So I would like to convert my 71 K10 4x4 to a crossover steering front axle. I have all the other parts ready to order, but I have recently purchased a 4x4 Super Box 2, which you cannot use for a crossover steering set up, you apparently need a 2wd box.....oh if I had known that when I laid down the $400+ for the box .....I am looking to rebuild the box, because it is pretty amazing what it will do by itself. I have 37" tires and it turns them with zero issue(even on 100+ degree days on asphalt) and I don't have the super box steering pump upgrade, which is supposed to raise the pressure which, in turn, would make it even easier to turn the tires. I am trying to get rid of the bump steer and the awesome right turn the truck makes whenever I step on the brakes......I used to swerve alot when stepping on the brakes, but have "learned" to prevent the truck from swerving all on it's own because of the dip in the front end.
71biggreenk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: AGR Performance Super Box 2 rebuild questions

ttt

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Burt4x4

If it were me I would get the type of crossover steering arms that eliminates the Kinpin Spring on your D60. I would add a hydro setup I would buy PSC Hydro Assist Kit for your year. You will have one finger steering....smooooth.. Then I would clean up that steering box and put it up fer sale on Ebay and pray I get at least half my money back.

I have had to do similar things when changing direction..
I'm perrty sure you can pull out the guts and put in 2x4 guts but I have never done that. Maybe that company makes a 2x4 version and will swap it for you?

Good Luck and take pics!!

Last edited by Burt4x4; 03-18-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Burt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
71biggreenk10
406 SB 700R4 NP205 Twin Stick

I have been considering two different options. The first option was to try and rebuild the AGR box, because as it sits right now, I have 1 finger steering without the crossover set up, and running on 37" tires. And then convert it to a crossover set up, with the option of adding hydraulic assist afterwards. I got a rough quote from AGR for what it would cost me for them to do the work, and for changing the shaft and drilling/tapping for hydraulic assist would cost me about $225, without shipping.

The second option was basically what you said, but with going with a Redneck Ram setup, because it would be less expensive. http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...osteering.html
71biggreenk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
drunkbus

From what research I've done, it looks like you can just swap out the sector shaft in your 4x4 box with one from a 2x4 box. I have looked into this because I did the same thing as you. Paid good money for a new Redhead steering gear and then decided to go with crossover. I contacted Redhead and they told me I could send the box back to them and they would charge $59 for the new 2wd sector shaft and $50/hr. labor, likely only 1 hour labor needed. I do have a spare 4wd box that I was going to try the swap on myself and see how it works but haven't had time.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote