The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
NW Task Force

Question 55-59 V8 oil bath air cleaner questions

I have been putting together a "retro" style engine and wanted to run the oil bath air cleaner on my vintage 283 V8. I don't really want to deal with the sloshing oil inside and wanted to know if anyone has successfully converted to a dry element inside their oil bath unit? I picked up a 1955 oil bath air cleaner several months ago. The air cleaner was pulled from an all original 55' Chevy COE with the 265 V8. I was wondering if anyone could identify the added on parts...........
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
dicer

Re: 55-59 V8 oil bath air cleaner questions

I have never seen something brazed on the old air cleaners like that. Its probably some add on someone did, thinking it was the thing to do for PCV.
I plan on doing the oil bath thing, that is why these things were called air cleaners and not air filters, I think they did a great job of air cleaning.
The only way you get that stuff out is take the unit apart, pretty much destroying it.
If you want the correct piece for the truck you wil need to research it some, I'm not sure what the V8's had for air cleaners.
The stud is most likely for a supporting brace.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
I have been putting together a "retro" style engine and wanted to run the oil bath air cleaner on my vintage 283 V8. I don't really want to deal with the sloshing oil inside and wanted to know if anyone has successfully converted to a dry element inside their oil bath unit? I picked up a 1955 oil bath air cleaner several months ago. The air cleaner was pulled from an all original 55' Chevy COE with the 265 V8. I was wondering if anyone could identify the added on parts...........
If the truck had a hydravac brake booster. They connected the air pipe to the top of the air cleaner. The stud is for a bracket to help secure the air cleaner.

If it didn't have a booster then its for blow by like todays engines. A PVC system of sorts. They would connect from the air cleaner to the oil fill.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
If it didn't have a booster then its for blow by like todays engines. A PVC system of sorts. They would connect from the air cleaner to the oil fill.
This is exactly how I found the air cleaner on the engine. A rubber hose was connected from the brazed on tube to a small tube inlet on the oil filler pipe.

I found a good link to get my air cleaner converted over to a dry element.

http://www.classicchevy.com/assets/p...evy/18-276.pdf
Old 03-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
dicer

After looking at some old sales brochures the basic style is correct. Still not sure about the tube at the top though.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote