The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
HumbleChevyBuddy

IL6 questions/advice

I have the following motor in my truck, but I don't quite understand what it really is. The code says it's a 250, but I've read things about "integrated head" vs "non-integrated head". Based on the pics below, can someone tell me what this engine looks like it has and what it would take to make it less messy (meaning spaghetti everywhere)? What can I get rid of and what do I have to keep? I'd like to make it look cleaner under the hood and plan on cleaning it all up, painting, and adding some chrome pieces here and there. The problem is, I just don't know what I need and don't need on it. I'll be upgrading it and swapping it out in the future, but my budget just doesn't have it in the next couple of years.

Any advice?

Project "FATBOY" build thread

The key to happiness is having dreams. The key to success is making your dreams come true.
HumbleChevyBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
sumran

Re: IL6 questions/advice

If you have an integrated head, the head and the intake manifold are a single casting. If the intake is bolted to the head, you have the traditional style.

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
lilpoindexter

If you don't have to smog check, put a flat valve cover on from a integral head 250 with a belt driven smog pump, and pull the tubing going to and from the old valvecover, you can plug the holes in the exhaust when you pull the air tubes off.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
1LowToy

A full tune-up, carb kit, oil and filter change and it's good to go for years. But if you wanna get rid or the factory AC for the I6 let me know. I have an after market AC on mine and three lower radiator hoses scabed together,,, well it could be better.

Last edited by 1LowToy; 03-22-2011 at 11:08 PM.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
D13

All 77-up 250's are integral head. Yours is probably 81-up guessing by the oil vapor control tubes (the silver things). It's definitely a 250 as 194/230/292's were not offered with that emission package. I would bet it has the 2bbl carb too.

Integral head means NONE of the aftermarket intakes/headers/covers will fit, except the chrome side cover. Your best bet is to clean and paint every piece of metal and replace the hoses with new.

As far as the tubes, before you yank it off, think about what it does. The big tubes are there to control oil vapor. So you would need a cover off 79(maybe 80) or earlier integral head with a simple PCV valve (similar to what is in the rear now), and and the different length of hose to the front of the valve cover. Then you could pull off the silver tubes and their plumbing, hooking the PCV to their vacuum point on the engine. Note these were added to light trucks for emissions because of the amount of blowby on these old engines, they make a lot of oil vapor and have a lot of gas fumes in the crankcase.

All the rest is needed. The hoses going out the the sides are for fuel vapors (driver's side) and trans/distributor vacuum supply (drivers to passenger's side) and fuel (passenger's to carb) so those are needed, although the rounting could be changed to 'pretty it up'.

The other option is to swap on an early (or 292 head) and then you can use the earlier valve covers (including chrome aftermarket) with the above PCV set up. What you get to do is throw away the EGR (that thing just under the carb) and its plumbing, and lose the EFE valve (the other thing on the exhaust). You will need a new intake, exhaust manifold, and carb (since the 2bbl will not fit on non-integral). Now you can put on aftermarket intake and headers and carb. BUT the power steering and A/C brackets do not interchange between integral and regular head so you'll be needing new (and non-integral A/C brackets are pretty uncommon).

Probably not what you wanted to hear. But your best bet here is elbow grease, paint, valve cover gasket (a notorius leaker on these), fresh wires/distributor cap and hoses.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
HumbleChevyBuddy

WOW! It's really not what I wanted to hear, but so be it. And yes, I do have the 2bbl carb. I can't thank you guys enough for all the information. I greatly appreciate it. This helps me tremendously and points me in the right direction on what I need to do to get things going.

What have you all used to clean the grease and grime off of the engine block and components?

Project "FATBOY" build thread

The key to happiness is having dreams. The key to success is making your dreams come true.
HumbleChevyBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
FritzA

You can have a nice engine with your current starting point. Those engines are very driveable and reliable, you will enjoy it.

D13 had great tips in post #5.

If you have patience and check craigslist and the junkyards (even eBay), you can come across the head, manifold and exhaust cheap. Everyone wants a sbc or bbc and these parts have low demand. Plan out what you want starting with the 292 head, then keep an eye out for the parts. Once you have collected them you can make the change.

Don't be suprised if you come across a complete 235 or 292 cheap.

There are a couple websites you can check out as well as the Engines forum here.

http://hotsixes.com/

http://stoveboltengineco.com/

Good luck and please come back to post your mods.
FritzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
1LowToy

Sorry,
But those silver tubes are not for excessive blow-by. The are to operate the bellows system for blowing air over the exhaust to continue burning for exhaust gasses. This was done instead of using an air pump. Just tune it up and enjoy it.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote