The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
53proud

4.8 swap into 53 chevy. any ideas?

i have a 53 truck on an s-10 frame. i bought a 4.8 long block to put in it. i have been told that it is going to be more money and a lot more headache to fit it back with all the fuel injection. only had the motor for a full day now and dont know much about it yet and i havent removed anything to check yet but was told it has a different cam and stuff in it and friends suggested it would run better with the carb kit from eldebrock. anyone have any suggestions?
53proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Lextech

Re: 4.8 swap into 53 chevy. any ideas?

Not only does it have a different cam than a traditional smallblock----Nothing about it is the same. It would be best to start with a complete Gen3 engine with the harness and accessories and PCM. Don't put a carb on it. You will spend a fortune on an aftermarket intake and ignition and carb. There are several Gen3/LS type engine installs on AD trucks on this forum.

Jeff
Lextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
53proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lextech View Post
Not only does it have a different cam than a traditional smallblock----Nothing about it is the same. It would be best to start with a complete Gen3 engine with the harness and accessories and PCM. Don't put a carb on it. You will spend a fortune on an aftermarket intake and ignition and carb. There are several Gen3/LS type engine installs on AD trucks on this forum.

Jeff
thanks Jeff, was wondering if anyone was going to comment. wanting to fit a fuel injected motor in the old beast was the only reason i bought the 4.8 in the first place.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Come on over to the LSx section!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206

You will be able to find all the info you need to keep FI. In the LSx pics stickkie at the top of the page there is someone putting a LS into a early pickup on a S10 frame. Oh and WELCOME to the site!

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
LEEVON

Welcome to the forum!

I would keep the fuel injection. You can find harnesses for about $150 and computers for about $100. Then you need to have the harness modified and the computer flashed, a guy near me does it all for about $300, more typically it will cost you $500-600 though.

Beyond that the only other difficult part is the high pressure fuel system but it's not rocket science, just pumps, lines and fittings.

I have a carbed 5.3L and it was definitely more expensive. Controller, intake, carb set me back $1k alone plus I chose to go with different accessories, vavle covers, cam, etc. Not for performance but mainly looks.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
53proud

thank guys. looks like FI it is. just started on it a little over a month ago so it wont look like much yet but i will get picks on here of it.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
ratrodmiller

Fuel injection is the way to go if ya ask me,you cant beat the performance of the ls engines either.They have plenty of power plus will be decent on gas.
ratrodmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
53proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrodmiller View Post
Fuel injection is the way to go if ya ask me,you cant beat the performance of the ls engines either.They have plenty of power plus will be decent on gas.
i would prefer to do fuel injection but i was told by someone that had this motor before the guy i got it from that with the cam set up and a few other things he done, it would run better if it had a carb and if i put FI on it, it wouldnt run right.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53proud View Post
i would prefer to do fuel injection but i was told by someone that had this motor before the guy i got it from that with the cam set up and a few other things he done, it would run better if it had a carb and if i put FI on it, it wouldnt run right.
thats just flat out wrong.
they dont make a cam that the EFI cant run.. even the most extreme solid roller can run with the OEM EFI... you just tune it with HP tuners.
the FACT is fuel injection has greater fuel (and spark) control then the carb setup. because of this, its possible to run cams with overlap that would be impossible to have with a carb.. not the other way around.

what that someone was saying is that they dont understand how EFI works, and they were unwilling to learn. To be honest, id bet $20 that person doesnt truly understand a carb and carb tuning either, and that they just know "If you bolt a carb on it, it will run"....
in that regard, yes a carb is easier.

but theres zero ways its better...
EFI has better MPG
EFI has more power
EFI has better drivability
EFI in this case its CHEAPER. go price out a stand alone ignition for this engine.. then price a carb intake.. then add the cost of a carb. compare that to a couple fuses, a fuel pump and lines. you will spend hundreds more on making a LSx engine run on a carb.. and gain NOTHING. (other then looks)

Last edited by MrDude_1; 03-22-2011 at 01:24 PM.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Atomsplitter

I can't say enough about fuel injection, smooth, efficient, easy to download new programs, etc.

Fuel lines are easy for these engines with electric pumps. Use the plastic OEM stuff the vehicle came with. I used all mine from a `95 Impala SS. The fittings for the fuel pump and gas tank can be purchased at any auto parts store. The fuel rail will already has a fitting as well as the fuel filter, they just click on and off.
Easy and cheap!

Last edited by Atomsplitter; 03-22-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
1952ssr

Don't be afraid of EFI, I'm going with an LT1. If I could have a do over I'd found an LS instead. LT1swap.com has some good info as well for putting new stuff into old stuff. I learned all the schematics for my engine and had NO knowledge at all to begin with. I plan to drive my truck regularly when it's finished and with todays gas prices (not to mention what gonna come someday)I want as much MPG's available.
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
mr48chev

There are still a huge number of guys out there who are afraid of EFI. And more yet who think that they are engine experts who expound on how hard they think it is to get EFI to work when you do engine swaps. Sometimes you just have to tell them you will keep it in mind and go on about your business.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
53proud

thanks for help guys. you guys a awesome. i know enough about motors to get me by. i didnt think the mess about the cam was right but figured i better check into it first before i went in any direction. thanks again to all.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
52 Rat

LS series EFI engines are clean and makes good power. The only way to go IMO. I went with a lq4 6.0L and a T56 six speed.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
53proud

i have the complete long block 4.8 and the coil packs. i will need the wiring harness, computer, intake with fuel rail and fuel pump. i would like to find an ls1 intake for it. by the time i get all of that will it still be cheaper?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
LEEVON

If you buy in the right places. LS1 intake can be had for $100. They look good but sacrifice low end torque vs. truck intakes though.

www.LS1tech.com
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #17
52 Rat

Quote:
i have the complete long block 4.8 and the coil packs. i will need the wiring harness, computer, intake with fuel rail and fuel pump. i would like to find an ls1 intake for it. by the time i get all of that will it still be cheaper?
Check out ls1tech.com. Look on the classified ad section. I'm going to stay with the truck intake. I like the torque of the lq4 and may change the cam at a later date so I can stretch it's legs.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #18
MrDude_1

Quote:
yes. Used OEM parts are very cheap.
New OEM parts, being current parts used on multiple vehicles for over 10+ years, are cheap as far as new parts go.
Aftermarket parts for these "New" motors can be very expensive.

what i would do if i were you:

get the wiring harness and computer used from the same vehicle. note the type of throttlebody this vehicle has. if its computer controlled, get it and the throttle pedal too.

for the intake, injectors, etc.. i would buy a used "assembled" intake from somewhere... this will give you everything at once for a low price

for the engine accessories, decide on the package you want (truck, Fbody, GTO, Vette, etc) then get the brackets, bolts and power steering pump from that vehicle. I would also get the alternator and water pump, but some people feel better about buying those parts new.

if you do most of this yourself at your local pull-a-part, you can do it very very cheap.

if you dont want to pull it yourself, but still want it cheap, go to LS1tech.com and search the classifieds... takes more time, but you can save money even more this way. you can also expand out to other forums... corvette, truck, camaro/firebird and GTO forums are a good place to look.
plus theres also craigslist.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
53proud

does anyone know what the fuel lines are supposed to be pressured to? what is an alternative line i can run?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #20
Lextech

LS based engines typically run 58PSI. Your fuel lines should be rated to at least 100PSI for safety. Don't cheap out on fuel safety. For a stock engine you want a 3/8" hard line or a -6AN line. Depending on the amount of horsepower you need to support you may need a -8 or -10 line.

Jeff
Lextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #21
68gmc780

I like the idea of a 4.8 in an AD truck,it actually is my idea too.I have the 52 Chev,a 96 S10 and an 02 GMC 1500 with a 4.8 auto.I hope one day to make the 3 trucks into one.I vote for sticking with the EFI,you won't regret it.
68gmc780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #22
Atomsplitter

Hey 53Proud,
Check out post #10 about the fuel lines.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #23
MrDude_1

Quote:
does anyone know what the fuel lines are supposed to be pressured to? what is an alternative line i can run?
A common thing to do is to put a corvette fuel filter in the car.

The Corvette filter also includes the fuel regulator. This means its a cheap, easy way to have the correct fuel pressure.

heres a pic of it:

basic layout of the fuel system is simple..
the pump is in the tank..
a line goes from the fuel pump to the fuel filter.
a single line goes from the filter, up to the fuel rail of the engine.
another single line goes from the filter, back to the tank.

thats it.

you can run hardline, or plastic line. both are safe. on my cars I run a combination of hardline up until i get to the engine, then run a plastic line between the hardline mounted to the frame, and the engine. This is identical to the 4th Gen F-bodies.

The plastic fuel line is a standard shared by multiple manufacturers. It just pushes together (I say just, but its a PITA to push together) and uses the same fittings on each end. the fittings click together, and use a universal tool to release. some fittings even have the release tool built in.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #24
53proud

thanks again guys. all of you are big help in trying to bring my baby to life.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #25
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I have a 4.8/4l60e in my 65, love, love, love it.
I had to learn the EFI and come to find out, it is actually easier ( to me) than carb engines.
I would get a truck intake and accesories for your truck ( much cheaper), however the car intakes are pretty cool under the hood. go to Howell or psiconversions or nelson performance for the computer/programing and the harness, dont spend $ on buying a stock harness/pcm and then having it tuned/converted, get a new harness and pre-programed PCM, might cost a little more, but its worth it.

if your going with a 4l60e trans, then your good, if your going with a 700 or 3speed, then you will more than likely will need a flywheel and spacer from Novak. good luck and if I can help anyway, please dont hesitate.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote