The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
THE "10" SILVERADO

73-80 Classic Industries Dash Pad Review

Yes, Yes, I know that there are a few threads here about the Classic Industries dash pads but (as far) as I know they are all about the 81-87 pad and not the 73-80 so since I got my dash pad in today I figured I'd write a review of my own to show the forums of what I have experienced (I can specifically say this to "allengator" (hope I spelled that right) who wanted to know also). I had almost chunked my old one (in fact I think I told someone on here that I already had) because it has holes in it and lot's of cracks but I ended up saving it just to compare with my new one when it came...glad I did save it...

Well I got my new dash pad in today around noon with a few other goodies I had ordered from LMC and Classic (I ordered from different places because of price) and pulled my pad out...

here is a picture of the new one and my old one together...

next....

The new pad came with a wood beam inside of it to hep it keep it's shape and it did it's job....as far as I can tell there are no waves or anything in it...as I expected it will need to be cut a little bit....here are those pictures

Original

Classic Industries

One of the other goodies I got was a brushed aluminum trim piece that replaces my woodgrain piece in my old dash pad....I took the other one of my original dash and got a little confused vs. the new trim

The original had threaded metal things on the back that the nuts screwed on to...picture

The new trim from CI has just rubber ones

I wanted to use my original "Silverado" emblem on the new trim piece from the old one but after looking at it I found out that the nuts basically made it impossible to re-use.....darn guess I'll just ebay that or something

Looking at the retaining clips that I bought from LMC I'm a little lost on how to get them on the new pad....the prods that stick out the back and hook to the pad line up but from any angle I can't seem to get them in the slots...or what I think are the slots

Also all of the clip slots are fine but one of them seems to be a little covered up by the material that the pad is made of.....here is that one

Overall I'd have to say I'm pleased with the new pad. It's not the original but it really is a good deal for $189 plus shipping....I think that the people who got bad one's might have just had some bad luck...unless I was one who got the diamond out of the group or something....

It's already dark out but I'll give everyone an update soon when I got and try to install it in my truck....

Last edited by THE "10" SILVERADO; 03-24-2011 at 09:49 PM.
THE "10" SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
lilpoindexter

Re: 73-80 Classic Industries Dash Pad Review

Cool...because I get my tax refund tomorrow...and I want a new dash pad.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote