The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
brap999

Cigarette Lighter Install w/ Painless Wiring kit

Hello All, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never installed a cigarette lighter before. I just rewired my '63 C10 with a Painless Wiring kit, which included an all new fuse panel. However there is no wiring included for a cigarette lighter

The truck did come with a lighter, but at some point in the past the previous owner cut the wiring.

So basically I have no idea how the cigarette lighter is suppose to wire up. I'm assuming it needs to be fused, correct?

Last edited by brap999; 03-23-2011 at 12:40 AM.
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
erock805

Re: Cigarette Lighter Install w/ Painless Wiring kit

Run a hot from the back of the ignition to the lighter, some ground through the body when you mount the lighter. Walla... easy
Old 03-23-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
1966JSM

sweet now I can do that when I install my wire harness
1966JSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

well I'm glad you got your truck together But I Have not heard one good thing about painless.The wires have a thiner menteral casing then the stock wires meaning they will dry out and get more bridal

I've Rewired 3 trucks with the M&H factory repop harness I can have it all out and in in 1 day and be driving that night It cost $800.00 But you get every factory Plug socket pig tail and there all color coded for your truck. If you ever have a short do even bother looking in any Chevy book cus it wont help ya.I'm a factory type of person I rather have a uncut harness then one i have to peace together.If painless wants to earn my respect.Make a full harness with all the plugs and the same size wires and the right laeth so it will fit the truck i'm working on then i will use them.

But i hope you get long life out of that harness
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

I have used Painless and M&H both before.

I have to disagree with you ... Painless is an awesome system, although they are mostly aimed to the custom crowd who aren't afraid of a little more work, and might want to run there wires in a different, custom location.

They give you extra wire, and in most cases extra circuits.

I used PL in many customers rides with excellent results !!

Although, I am currently running an M&H harness in a '69 Stingray .... and I must say they have that part of the game sewn up !!

Original connectors/isulators/pigtails/etc. everything is OEM ... definately amazing !! Even all the fiber optics are in loom !!

Of Course, this harness was about $1000 for the Vette.

Anyway, back to the question at hand.

Off the back of the ignition is perfect ... if you another extra circuit even better. I prefer a 'constant' B+ , that way you can charge your celly without the key ...

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Smile Re: Cigarette Lighter Install w/ Painless Wiring kit

M&H now make that new fuse panel that takes the smaller fuses and they give you more options in what you what to run.Ya the price tag is a little steep But what you get on the back hand is all color coded wires.There are NO cut wires.But you sound like a guy that can wire anything with out painless or M&H.But these newbies see the price tag and think this will be easy but they get over there head.I do see a lot of builds.with Painless that are half done.

Me i like stock but i might run the new fuse panel do to i'm getting water in the back of my dash wall on all 4 of my trucks my 1968 GMC suburban my 1965 3/4 ton chevy and my 1971 Cheyenne and my 1972 deluxe 3/4 ton chevy truck.

Ya your right the price tag will scare any in the M&H but that peace of mine.And i'm for one if your going to use the truck for everyday use the factory harness is way better.

Just a question in your wife's new car or your new truck would you run painless in there over the factory harness.Its just a question Most say NO the factory harness is way better then painless in that deal But.
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
jimmydean

I just wired up the 12v outlet in my new drivers seat. My dash lighter doesn't work and it's much easier to have my phone on the set rather than hanging off the dash.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
brap999

Thanks for all the responses. I decided to trash the cigarette lighter that is in the truck now (it's not original, it's from something else) and buy a repoduction one, which is on order.

As for the Painless Wiring kit, it was the first time I've ever completely re-wired a vehicle, and the Painless wiring kit made it easy. When I bought the truck, the wiring in it was scary, and nearly a fire hazard waiting to happen. The wires were all stripped, spliced into, and left cut and hanging everywhere. To be honest it scared the hell out of me to drive it home. So the Painless Wiring kit was the first thing I did to the truck.

I'm sure the other brands are easy too though, however I have to agree that the extra wires for optional things like a rear frame mounted gas tank, 1 wire GM alternator, electric fan, etc ... made Painless Wiring appealing since these are things I'll probably end up installing eventually and the wiring will already be there when the time comes.

Anyway, after it was all installed, I noticed a major improvement in engine start up. It used to be difficult to start the truck because of the poor wiring, but with the Painless Wiring the truck fires up with first turn of the key.
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
TopFuel1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by brap999 View Post
Hello All, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never installed a cigarette lighter before. I just rewired my '63 C10 with a Painless Wiring kit, which included an all new fuse panel. However there is no wiring included for a cigarette lighter

The truck did come with a lighter, but at some point in the past the previous owner cut the wiring.

So basically I have no idea how the cigarette lighter is suppose to wire up. I'm assuming it needs to be fused, correct?
Unless you have the basic universal street rod kit you should have a tan 14 ga. wire in the dashboard group labeled "Cigarette Lighter - 903".
I have used both Painless chassis harness and engine harness in my EFI Gen III powered truck with total success.

Last edited by TopFuel1966; 03-26-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: sp
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote