The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #26
chuck3026

Re: Attepmted amputation

In time these battle scars will be great campfire talk...glad everyone was ok..I tested my chainsaw against my thigh once.....chainsaw won
Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #27
Roadmarks

Thumbs down Re: Attepmted amputation

I really can't say enough about power tool safety! Those of us who work around machinery need to remind our nonprofessional brothers and sisters about just how dangerous some of these simple tools can be. June 28 2008 I was working on a trailer deck with the "deadly lock on - lock off 4 1/2"" grinder when there was a "bang" and it went straight up in the air. I didn't know what had happened until it came down across my leg, hit the trailer and started up again. I was doing everything I could to get out of its way, unplug it, and hold the two bloody flaps of leg muscle together. There is a lot more to the story, but the EMTs (Thanks Guys) came and rushed me to emergency surgery where I was sewed up and told by the Doc to leave the "Derm Abraison" to him.

So, BE CAREFUL! I've worked with machinery for 50 years and have taught safety procedures, and I screwed up. The tools don't hurt us, our use of them does, so WATCH IT, ok! I still don't know for certain what happened in my case, but here is the result!
Les
Attached Images

Last edited by Roadmarks; 03-21-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Roadmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #28
Beat68CST

And to think my dad handed me his sawzall at the weeee age of five to cut the railing off our flatbed trailer... LMAO

I guess no more "squinting" instead of face shield or glasses...

I was under my dad's Super Gas Datsun pickup, I cut 4 tabs off the rear end housing bracing, after that, I had to take the lil 3 inch air grinder and take the lil bit of welds left off, Everything was goin good, cramped under the truck cleanin em up, then the rubber backing deal that the lil sanding pads screw into exploded into 3 pieces, one nailed me inside thigh about 4 inches down from the boys, I threw the air grinder and was cussin BAD, this was before I really ever cussed in front of my dad, he starts yellin at me for cussin, then realizes that something happened, I come out and he's like "you alright buddy?" as I'm still yelling and raging, kickin the grinder. I showed him my inside thigh and had a baseball sized green and purple bruise, close to home too.
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
67Slider

I read this thread yesterday... went to the hardware store today and bought a full face shield! Haven't had any grinders explode yet so I suppose I am due.
67Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #30
ebfabman

First rule when picking up a cutting/grinding tool is always expect the discs will explode and never put your face or any body part in line of fire....and don't take the guards off......like I do...
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #31
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

I guess I should go and get me a face shield.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #32
Painter D

I'm getting a faceshield

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #33
Mike J
vw guy & now c-10 guy

never had a wheel come apart on me- now i'm scared lol
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #34
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

There isnt even 1 knuckle across the back side on both hands that dont have theads in it! Hell, it was a standing bet with the doc, on how many theads it would take to sew that one up(I usually won that bet) I have broken my left thumb 2 times with a 5 lb hammer, ripped a couple fingers open on a drill press, burnt the top of 2 or 3 knuckles with a right angle grinder, layed my right thumb wide open on a chop saw, & burnt myself silly with the torch & welders. I wore a pc of wire in my cheek(damn close to my eye) for 2 or 3 yrs, till it festered & came out, but all in all I have been very fortunate not to have any serious miss haps! Hell, my wife called me "Tim the tool man", & threatened to take all my power tools away I have blown a grinder disc, & shot 1/2 of it across the shop....got a dude yellin "SHUT IT OFF"....hell, Im too damn busy just trying to hang onto that out of balance disc! I yelled back "UNPLUG THAT MOFO"! The older I get, the more those boo boo's hurt.....take your time, saftey 1st crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #35
68steppsidee

haha yeah glad that everyone is thinking pf safety now
68steppsidee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #36
Pop's C-10

wow...i know everytime use mine..i look @ tha cutting and think..please do let this come apart...time to clean tha face shield off..lol
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #37
Tmwoodall

Bought a face shield today.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #38
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

What kind of face shield we thinking here guys because now I'm thinking I want one.
I'm the idiot that never wears even glasses - "Eh, squinting is enough for me"

Son, you just can't get there from here...
whitesswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #39
vasquezmrysvll
"the other guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesswj View Post
What kind of face shield we thinking here guys because now I'm thinking I want one.
I'm the idiot that never wears even glasses - "Eh, squinting is enough for me"
squinting....ahhhh, that's my nickname at work "squints"
Old 03-25-2011, 01:07 AM   #40
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyue2002 View Post
[pictures?
lmao!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #41
Luvlegs

Just to add to the safety side, a face shield isn't enough - I work in the pharma industry and most all sites require safety glasses under the full face shield as well. It only takes a little time to get used to working with the proper PPE on (personal protection equipment). Think of the time lost on your project, damage to your stuff, cost of insurance deductable (instead of buying parts), time off work, and most importantly your family - You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a fake eye.

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #42
71 lowrider

There is a guy who posts some car building stuff on another site that uses a 14" chop saw disc mounted on a 9" body grinder. He calls it "the widowmaker".of course there is not any kind of guard on it.
71 lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #43
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

id like to see a pix of it
Accepting part donations
heeroyue2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #44
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I cut my left hand with a chain saw when I was 15 (long ago). I was lucky it sort of skipped down my little finger. 11 stitches and years off my mother's lifetime panicking. I have a lot of respect for tools, and the damage they can do now.

I have a big old B&D electric die grinder that's 19" long, all aluminum case and 20k RPM. It's scary with a cutoff wheel in it, but it cuts like crazy.

I bought a face shield yesterday after seeing the above face pics! Yikes.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:20 AM   #45
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
There isnt even 1 knuckle across the back side on both hands that dont have theads in it! Hell, it was a standing bet with the doc, on how many theads it would take to sew that one up(I usually won that bet) I have broken my left thumb 2 times with a 5 lb hammer, ripped a couple fingers open on a drill press, burnt the top of 2 or 3 knuckles with a right angle grinder, layed my right thumb wide open on a chop saw, & burnt myself silly with the torch & welders. I wore a pc of wire in my cheek(damn close to my eye) for 2 or 3 yrs, till it festered & came out, but all in all I have been very fortunate not to have any serious miss haps! Hell, my wife called me "Tim the tool man", & threatened to take all my power tools away I have blown a grinder disc, & shot 1/2 of it across the shop....got a dude yellin "SHUT IT OFF"....hell, Im too damn busy just trying to hang onto that out of balance disc! I yelled back "UNPLUG THAT MOFO"! The older I get, the more those boo boo's hurt.....take your time, saftey 1st crazyL
CrazyL...sounds like you need to have a yard sale or move closer to the hospital, lol. The face shields you guys are talking about are, I'm sure, are better than nothing, however, most shields I have seen are not going to stop an angry grinding/cut off wheel so GOOD safety glasses are a must. The steel guards are there for a reason, they are cumbersome and get in the way but make a dangerous task just a bit safer so leave the guards on the tool.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #46
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
CrazyL...sounds like you need to have a yard sale or move closer to the hospital, lol. The face shields you guys are talking about are, I'm sure, are better than nothing, however, most shields I have seen are not going to stop an angry grinding/cut off wheel so GOOD safety glasses are a must. The steel guards are there for a reason, they are cumbersome and get in the way but make a dangerous task just a bit safer so leave the guards on the tool.
We do live within 6 or 7 blocks of the nearest hospital....so I guess I get to keep all my stuff
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote