The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2003, 06:21 PM   #1
BobM

Poly vs Steel Blazer Tank???

Am relocating my internal cab tank to between the rear frame rails. Wondering whether I should go with a poly or steel Blazer tank. Can any of you guys comment or make any recommendations based on experience?
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:26 PM   #2
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

The polly tank is a little more flexable in it's aplication. You can heat the fill neck on it with a hot air gun and move the direction it is pointing some. Poly tanks don't rust or dent either. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 07:12 PM   #3
Linus0014

But if you live in the heat like I do(its 119' outside right now), I heard that the Poly tanks can warp and stay that way. I have the steel one b/c it was cheap, plus I don't want to have to worry about something happening to it.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:38 PM   #4
Kid

I prefere the "custom" tanks available in aluminum, they are not as deep, therefore do not hang down as far. I think the blazer tank is 14" deep, thats alot of tank below the bumper. A 4-wheel drive lifted truck it looks fine, but one lowered really magnifies the "low hanging" tank. J.M.O. tho
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:10 PM   #5
meathead95
computer illiterate

i heard in the southern states when it gets real hot the poly tanks will collapse cant prove it just heard it lol......I am going with a no limit tank
Old 07-14-2003, 09:51 PM   #6
72longbed
Account Suspended

poly vs. steel gas tank

I'll share with you what I have learned from owning and installing both of the aftermarket tank types. First one I tried was the poly tank setup. Should have sent it back as soon as I opened the box and saw how poorly the sending unit opening ring was attached to the poly tank. Then I was ready to install the locking ring and noticed that it looked like it had been drug across cement at a high rate of speed. (Really poor workmanship). Oh well, I figured, if this is how the put them out to the public I'll give it a try. Had to cut out a bed support between the frame rails and still had a ***** of a time properly positioning the neck of the tank to take a straight run of rubber filler hose to it. Oh yea, almost forgot, the inlet on the poly tank looked really small, like 1" i.d. (wait till you hear about that). So, I get the tank in place and connect the length of odd size filler hose to the tank neck, (1 3/8 i.d. hose, really hard to find), have a friend of mine fab up a steel filler tube to run under the bed a come up through the bed right behind the drivers side wheel well, up the inside of the bed to the filler neck a bought from Classic Industries. Also hooked up the largest vent opening on the tank,(1/2" i.d.), to the filler neck with proper vent hose. Well, the dam thing would never take gas from a pump unless I held the nozzle barely open, (maybe had something to do with that 1" tank opening design flaw), anyway I eventually got the tank filled one day getting ready for a fishing trip with my son and stopped at a tackle shop right before we went on this two hour drive to the lake. Smelledgas real bad and looked under the truck to see gas pouring out onto the parking lot from the sending unit opening. Needless to say, that tank went back to the junk vendor that sold it to me for a full refund!! Good thing a had not yet removed the old tank in the cab. So I'm at Carlisle, PA Truck show and 'The Truck Shop' has a show special on a steel Blazer/Sub tank and all hardware for a price I could not resist. I get it home and install it about 2" to the rear of where the indexing tabs go into the original frame rail holes so the long steel filler neck it came with can clear that darn bed support. No Problem. Nice large opening at the tank for gas flow. Hooked it up to same piping and it fills really sweet. Galvanized stell looks really good in my opinion. That was a long story I know, but by reading this hopfully I can save someboby from buying that trash poly **** of a tank.
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 12:37 AM   #7
GMC JUNKIE TOO
THE QUICKER FIXERUPER

I agree the poly tanks suck when the original tank in my panel rusted through I replaced it with a poly tank the opening is too small and it leaks gas if I fill it all the way up I will put in a steel tank soon Like 72longbed said they suck.
GMC JUNKIE TOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:35 AM   #8
Iceman7642
P!$$ on Ford

i just (today) fixed my filler so i can fill it at the pumps full speed, other than that i have not had any problems with it. i just posted a thread (poly gas tank filler) and it shows what i did.

Michael

Lowered 1972 C-20 Longbed with 350 and TH350

1995 Tahoe LS - Custom intake, k&n, TBI spacer, sweet tail lights, clear front lights...

2009 Nissan Versa

I am 26, married, and we had our first baby in July of 2009
Iceman7642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:59 AM   #9
smokekiki
Mike

When I bought my blazer it had a poly tank allready installed.I had to drop the tank to replace the sending unit.It filled semi slow.Turned out the installer had about 1.5 inches to much filler hose.Cut that off and it fills on high speed.The opening is the same as stock on my tank.It is also thick.I will see if I can find who made it.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:31 AM   #10
Mixup

Poly tanks DO collapse in the heat. Mine has and I know of some in Arizona that have.It's been about 114-116 degrees here for about a week but I had a problem with it after about 3 months. It's been in about a year. There was also a letter in one of the truck magazines about the problem. The answer from the magazine was "yes they will collapse from the heat". Mine is vented correctly. I just got a tank from No Limit and I'm in the process of moving so it will go in as soon as I get a chance. I know people say that the new trucks have poly tanks and they are ok. I have one in my Tahoe but they are much thicker and better made then the blazer poly tank. Go with a metal tank!

1969 Z28 engine

Turbo 350
Mixup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:45 AM   #11
DuckhunterInTN

I agree. I have tried two of the poly tanks with no luck. Same problem. Gas will flow out of the top when you try to top it off...

Get a metal one!
1984 Chevrolet K10 6.2 4x4
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4
1967 Chevrolet C50 Dump truck
1957 GMC 1/2 ton stepside (not running)
DuckhunterInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 12:42 PM   #12
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

I have installed several of both kinds of tanks and the steel ones are better because they don't collapse and because the poly ones shift around on the frame rails (no matter how tight they are) and it looks like over time it could wear through the tank
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:26 PM   #13
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

What has every one done to locate the gas filler? I dont like the idea of purring in the bed. Any suggestions pics?

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:53 PM   #14
72longbed
Account Suspended

Where to put the Filler?

MCLMXIX,
As I said earlier , I have my filler running up inside the bed side just as the Blazers did from 69-72. I am even using one of the original Blazer steel covers to hide it. ( Covers were also used on all pickups with factory auxilliary tank). Only difference in my setup is I didn't cut through the bedside, and screw up my new paint job, to mount the neck. The cap is inside the bed at the top of the filler neck slightly below the top rail. The cover hides almost all of it!! Hope this helps.
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:34 PM   #15
busterwivell

Gee, I have a poly tank that I got from Wes, and I haven't had any filler problems. Don't think it warped, either. I think the poly is as thick as the one in my Tahoe. It's been in 5 or 6 months now. It's about 105/106 right now.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:52 PM   #16
Mixup

It doesn't matter where you bought it Busterwivell they are all the same. You better look again because it's not made anything like the one in a Tahoe. Sounds like you are having good luck with yours.

1969 Z28 engine

Turbo 350
Mixup is offline   Reply With Quote